Menu

Is there something like Netflix for Books?

Does your library offer interlibrary loan? I use that for books that my library doesn't have on the shelves.

In my county, library funding has been cut to the bone. We are lucky we have a library. I always get the terms mixed up but I believe they do "inter-library" loans if it means another branch of the library will ship the book over. I have done that for years and there are several library branches in the county. I am looking for an author (books written between 1930 - 1969) and have not been able to find anything on her.

Our library doesn't offer the service for free. But it is only 50 cents per book. It is not a branch loan system but rather a national loan system through World-Cat. You should ask at your reference desk if they have something like this. It isn't a well known program at our library.

I'm not sure of a book program like netflix. I think the reason Netflix can offer the program is because it isn't costly for them to mail out the DVD's.

Oh thank you so much! I will check out the bookfree link and definitely the audiobook as well because I have a 45 minute commute to work and like to listen to books on CD's.

I will have to ask about the "World Cat" loan system. I'd be willing to pay $.50 if I can get my hands on a book and don't have to buy it.

I am looking for some kind of book exchange, preferrably low cost to no cost.

My local library is okay for some things but definitely not extensive.

Any thoughts?

The public library???!!!??

LOL

;)

Perhaps you missed Liz's reason for asking?

www.paperbackswap.com

I love it and love that I can "wish" for a book and when it becomes available I am notified.

I have swapped lots of books this way, including some of our homeschool books. The only thing it costs is postage when you send a book.

Your first two books are free so that you can see the system works. Which is has worked very well for me. I live where there is a very small library. Think one room a few shelves and no hope for enlarging. I can interlibrary borrow, but that is only hit or miss with most things. They can't even tell me when I request the book if it is in the system or not. Sometimes I also like my older dd to have a copy she can mark up as she reads.

Anyway, give it a try.

In my county, library funding has been cut to the bone. We are lucky we have a library. I always get the terms mixed up but I believe they do "inter-library" loans if it means another branch of the library will ship the book over. I have done that for years and there are several library branches in the county. I am looking for an author (books written between 1930 - 1969) and have not been able to find anything on her.

Liz, you can certainly get any number of books from the other branches. You can also use ILL throughout the North State; the limit is 12 per year and after that, it costs a lot of money. You can request ILLs online; go here and use the CalCat section. If it's not in the area, though, you're out of luck.

We are in sad shape all right, but not totally hopeless yet--just mostly.