Menu

Recs. for simple "health" curriculum....

smilesonly

Just to satisfy state requirements, I need to cover "Health" for my 2nd grader. Nothing fancy or expensive-I'm a health nut and he's a sports nut-so just something(even watered down;)) that he could do independently. Workbook would be fine, as the only workbook he has is a part of what he does for math.

If I could find/order one from Barnes & Noble, that would be superb, as I could use my home educators discount.

TIA!!

Smiles

:)

For the exact same reason (state requirements), we use Healthy Me: Fun Ways to Develop Good Health and Safety Habits. It covers germs and cleanliness, teeth, nutrition, exercise, and safety in short lessons that are largely simple experiments. There are about 15 per section, which for us means we'll be able to use the same book for a few years. The book lists ages 5-8, so that might be too young for your use, but we're enjoying it. It's painless, and it gets done. :001_smile:

I'd imagine it might be available through B&N, though I ordered it from Amazon.

Do you need to teach from a curriculum? I would look for freebies, the health pyramid stuff is good, and document healthy habits for a period of time. There is also the Presidential physical fitness program, which is free to sign up. My ds and I completed through the gold level a few years ago, it was fun.

Then you could track things like brushing teeth, washing hands, and other good health habits.

ETA: the presidential fitness challenge isn't technically health, but it's a fun way to chart activity at that age.

Edited by elegantlion

Dole used to put out a terrific program, with free materials to teachers, for grades K-5. I've been looking around online and I can't find any of it any more. They don't even have the free, online printables available any more. That's too bad. They do have a little online info and games available. You should be able to pull it up by googling Dole 5 a Day or Dole Super Kids. It seems geared more toward grades 3-4 now.

I did find this K-5 graded Food Pyramid lesson plan:

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/programs/food_smarts_my_pyramid_for_kids/

I believe you can still enroll younger children in the President's Physical Fitness challenge. They have an option where you log their weekly physical activities and they can earn various levels of awards for those activities. Their website gives info and suggestions for activities, as well. I did this with my younger son when he was in third grade.

How about BrainPop Jr. for health?

http://www.brainpopjr.com/health/