Menu

Are there any other intellectual/scholarly message boards or blogs that you frequent?

For example, I regularly read Mental Multivitamin, a blog written by a woman who used to post on TWTM, before the format change. She is a writer, an autodidact, and a homeschooling parent. It challenges me and gives me something to ponder. I also find ideas for books to read there.

Do you have any blogs or online forums that you could recommend for inspiring reading and thinking? Thanks.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I like political blogs, but i don't know if they are in the same category. ;)

Me too- economic/political. Of course they are intellectual. I don't know about "inspiring." ;)

I usually read the Market Ticker and Euro Pac commentary.

Wow. He seems angry. He should be looking for a new job. Preferably one where he doesn't come in contact with humanity.

I didn't view the blog that way. I found it really funny - used as a decompression from the idiocy and frustration in daily work/life. The vibe I got was of someone who cares about his work (forwards phones to cell rather than to service... although I may have misread that in a post) but wants an outlet for the venting that we all do about our work.

Doesn't everyone read the Kitchen Table Math blog?
Yup :D

And these blogs:

Tetrapod Zoology

Myrmecos

Confessions of a Science Librarian

Ask a Biologist

Not blogs, but also

Science Daily

New Scientist

And not exactly intellectual but,

Boing Boing

Thesea are the ones I read regularly. There are a quite a few others I hit on one of those days I have nothing else to do (i.e. once in a blue moon :tongue_smilie:)

I didn't view the blog that way. I found it really funny - used as a decompression from the idiocy and frustration in daily work/life. The vibe I got was of someone who cares about his work (forwards phones to cell rather than to service... although I may have misread that in a post) but wants an outlet for the venting that we all do about our work.

I don't think people entrusted with the care of patients have any business "venting" about them in public. It's disrespectful and arrogant.

Would you not feel a little reluctant to speak honestly with your doctor if you thought he was going to poke fun at you, even anonymously, on a blog?

I thought he was hilarious! :lol:

Better to vent on a blog than in real life... btw, hubby's family are all doctors. And yes, they do complain (privately) IRL about stuff like this. LOL

I don't think people entrusted with the care of patients have any business "venting" about them in public. It's disrespectful and arrogant.

Would you not feel a little reluctant to speak honestly with your doctor if you thought he was going to poke fun at you, even anonymously, on a blog?

I don't think I'd be doing anything that would get me blogged about, although that may be hubris :D

I appreciate your point. It's why I don't post anything remotely specific about my students, although I've had some doozies I chose not to post in the thread about names!

I do think that without a way to decompress, people burn out easier. And the anonymity of the blog may be enough. That would be for a medical or ethics board to determine and have policies in place if they have problems with it. I also didn't see any posts that I thought were malicious but we apparently disagree on this one. :001_smile:

What if he wrote a book? I read a great book about a Doctor and his practice. He had hilarious stories in it. Some were sarcastic, some frustrating, some sad, some funny. I don't think it is a big deal.

He did say that the stories were changed and some even composites. He is using exaggeration and sarcasm as a means of emotional release. Not that unusual, imo.

As long as he didn't get on his blog and call me fat, I'm okay with it. :D