Menu

What do you have your child memorize?

Gamom3

My boys are memorizing their math facts, addition and subtraction as well as skip counting by all numbers up through 15. For example they have to be able to count by 15's - 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180.

I am also having them memorize selected poems from either FLL and/or Harp and Laurel Wreath.

Ds8 has also learned all the state capitals just by working a USA puzzle I have him complete 2x a week.

At some point I think I would like him to learn US presidents as well but we aren't there yet.

My boys are also learning hymns and scripture.

We do a few languages, so there's lots of vocabulary. We also do poems. I've had him memorize the wives of Henry VIII, for no real reason, other than to supplement the "divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived" rhyme that was stuck in his head. We've memorized some leaders, the dynasties of China, the Ten Commandments, we're working on the books of the Bible..... He has memory verses.

I guess the better question is, what don't I have him memorize, :lol:

I'd like to recommend Andrew Campbell's Living Memory book. It is chock full of memory work by category. Excellent suggestions all around!

Also, IEW's Language Aquisition Through Poetry Memorization, 4 sections of 20 poems each. I'd recommend purchasing the CD- painless memory work. Pudewa's diction is excellent and a lot of fun for the kids to mimic (esp. if you have a "lazy" speaker like I do- great practice to move those mouth muscles!).

Lastly, Clasiscal Conversatiosn has 3 "cycles" of memory work. You can purchase the Foudnations guide which includes all 3 cycles on paper, and buy the CD's and powerpoint seperatly. Great stuff on there as well, though I llike Campbell's approach to subject areas better and he includes some catechisms which are call and response.

We use a large white board (learned this from CC) in our school room and put the week's memory work by category up each Monday. We spend a good bit of time on memory work. (I have a pic of this and explain in more detail our approach to memory work on my blog under classical ed)

We've also been invovled in theater. A yearly one act play festival that alternates between comedy and tragedy years, and then spring drama camps. I highly recommend drama as a way to cement content in areas like lit and history and to work on memory skills as well.

Have fun! The more memory work we've done, the more I appreciate the benefits nad we enjoy doing it.

Hannah Wilson has a free book you can download on grammar stage memorization here: http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_39/596000/596907/1/print/596907.pdf

I love this free resource that gives all types of things to memorize! :001_smile:

This is the first year that we've done memory work consistently. I use the Charlotte Mason file box system here:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

They each get about 5 new memory cards a week that they practice on their own. I bought each kid a timer from Lakeshore Learning that I love -

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7C2534374302095533~~.jsp

They set their timer for 5 minutes each day to review their cards. On Friday, I give an M&M quiz - each card they know, earns them 2 M&Ms. They love this part! At the end of the semester (just a week ago) I randomly pulled 10 of their cards for a memory contest. I was amazed at how much they remembered! The winner got a treasure chest surprise (dollar store toys/candy). Hope this helps!

At the moment my son is memorizing "The Owl and the Pussycat," by Edward Lear.

After going through many poetry anthologies, I have settled upon Poems Every Child Should Know (ed. Mary Burt, pub. Yesterday's Classics) as my favorite.

We memorize other things as well - Latin vocabulary and grammar, Greek alphabet and words, various Latin and Greek roots and English derivatives, some facts from history and science, etc.

Scripture

Math facts (skip counting 1-12 right now)

Sayings/poems

Certain events from Bible and History

Spanish words

Spelling words

That is all we are doing right now. :)

We just do drilling daily for about 10 mins and rotate what we "drill". Really casual and fun.

My girl always has a poem going.

I also have her memorizing Religion facts (catechism) and some important U.S. documents: right now she's about half way through the Declaration of Independence.

I also had her doing her math facts but she's got them down really well so now b/t math work and mental math, she keeps them going enough that I dont' have her do those any more.

Sometimes there are other odds and ends that I have her memorize, too: an important list, et c.

Still, what we do most and enjoy most is poetry.

and I forgot . . . latin vocab.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

Poems, mostly. I've culled most of them form The Oxford Book of Children's Verse, The Oxford Book of Children's Verse in America, The Boy's Percy, a collection of poems edited by Charles Causley, A Child's Garden of Verses, a collection of Eugene Field's poems, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, and Kings and Queens by Eleanor Farjeon (these are nominally for "history"). Every other poem is a "fun" one: lots of Roald Dahl, Hilaire Belloc, Der Strewwelpeter, Edward Gorey, Walter de la Mare, Conrad Aiken, Karla Kuskin, Lewis Carroll, La Fontaine, A.A. Milne, Dennis Lee.

And a few useful rhymes (Monarchs of England, a few Latin rhymes, etc.).

Order of the planets

Presidents

State Capitals

And eventually, I will have them memorize lists of helping verbs. I can still sing mine to the tune that my middle school grammar teacher taught.. "Am, is, are, was, were....."

And the things others have listed: Bible verses, some poetry, geography songs (the states in alphabetical order, etc.)

The only thing I really want them to memorize (other than math facts) are the two letter codes for each state, which proves handy when they address envelopes. So we've incorporated that into our study of the USA. Related but not required, I encourage them to learn the three letter city airport codes for the cities we travel to most often.

We've covered some things enough that they've come to memorize them, even though memorization wasn't required by me: Ten Commandments, Planets, Colors of the Rainbow, Books of the Catholic Bible, assorted Shel Silverstein poems from bedtime reading (favorite: Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout - love it), US capitols, Canadian provinces, and the endings for French -ER, -IR, and -RE verbs.