Menu

Who else is waiting for the big snowstorm?

We've got a few inches here a little north of Williamsburg, VA. It is so pretty... what a nice surprise. Just waiting for my husband and dd to get home from Richmond, then I'll really enjoy it. :001_smile:

My brother lives and works in Richmond. Normally it takes him, maybe, twenty minutes between home and work. It took him an HOUR today!

It is beautiful, though, isn't it? My anti-snow policy is being covered in the white fluffy stuff :lol:

Just be safe everyone.

The blizzard warnings in southern, MD and the massive size of the precipitation shield make this a storm that can paralyze the area given the lack of snow removal equipment.

After that piece of business I do have to admit that I LOVE LOVE LOVE snow storms so I'm sitting here after midnight watching the snow fall :)

Well, we will be heading to Lake Toxaway, NC tomorrow (I have NEVER heard of the place and I used to live in NC!)) as dh made last minute reservations for a cabin in that area in the hopes of seeing snow.

We will be driving a 4 wd vehicle, so hopefully we'll be A-ok if we encounter wintery roads.

and actually, it started at 8pm last night, and is really snowing heavily.

The kids and I spent all day yesterday getting ready for this -- well, I was getting ready for it, they thought I was just dragging them all over the planet and sitting in traffic (horrendous traffic) for the fun :glare: of it.

But, we did well. We avoided long lines just about everywhere (gas station, WalMart, pharmacy, grocery store) we went b/c we arrived early in the day before folks had left their place of employment.

I've stocked up on all the ingredients I need to have a marathon holiday baking session today and this little hotel kitchen is going to get a REAL workout today. I even had to buy a silly little hand held mixer as I was not interested in lugging my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer over here. Bought more cookie sheets and some other baking pans, and I am ready!

Good thoughts to everyone for safe driving, no electricity outages (unless you want that to happen) and if you have sunshine and blue skies, enjoy that too!

We have 12" on our deck and it's still snowing like crazy!!!

We're also under a blizzard warning until 6pm.

They closed the main road through town (Rt. 301) so I know it's bad out there!!

We're supposed to get another 4" to 12" before it's all over (I'm south-east of Fredericksburg, Virginia).

Time for cookie baking and hot cocoa! :D

My husband is really upset and unhappy. He had strongly recommended to his boss not to go on this trip. It started really badly. They were supposed to fly from DC to Denver and on to Albuquerque on Thursday. The co-pilot got sick and they had to land in Chicago. Then they are pulling out of the gate and the passenger two rows back has a Grand Mal seizure. He claims he never has had one before so paramedics are called. FInally they make it to Cenver but the connecting flights have left. The airline is getting ready to shut down their desk and tells people to move to another area of the airport. He doesn't and they get hotel and meal vouchers. They go out in the Colorado cold and the hotel bus doesn't come. Finally after a half hour, the bus gets there. The hotel is 30 miles away from the airport. The next day they are standby on one flight but get on a later flight. Meantime the airline is calling our phone at home and telling him that his return flight has been cancelled and he has been rebooked on a flight leaving Denver that is almost at the same time his flight is arriving from Denver to ALb. He goes to the retirement ceremony and then they try to make it out. They don't get any further than Dallas. This morning they are having to go to the airport and see if they have been rebooked since their 6:20 am flight has been cancelled. All the non stop flights to DC are cancelled. I hope he gets home tomorrow. I don't think it will be today.

Ok, so here in Lorton, about 15 miles S and slightly E of Reagan Nat'l Airport, we have 7 inches at the Rectory and 8 half a block away at the church. They are predicting 8-12 more today, and 2-4 tonight. I think it will easily be over 20 inches here--where they cancel school if we get 2 inches!

Ds got home safely from Avatar last night at about 2:30 am!! (this morning, I mean) Ds18 is still in Delaware, and may need to spend the night again at the hotel with the rest of his high school wrestling team.

Update--just heard from ds. They are leaving the tournament and are on the road. they have to get to the bridge before it closes! oh my. He lost his matches and is exhausted--sore, tired, a little worried about the drive--could use prayers! :001_smile: I'm glad he is coming now--I really didn't want him to stay overnight, even if it would have been a little safer--I think he'll be fine.

We have well over a foot of snow here and it's still coming down like gangbusters. Dh's work is closed, so he doesn't have to go in until Monday. My youngest is trying to figure out how to make snow shoes.

We've got lots of coffee and baking stuff -- so, we are prepared to just hang out and enjoy it.

K

(located about 40 miles south of DC, near Quantico Marine Base).

About a foot and a half of snow here, more than Roanoke's seen in more than ten years. It seems to be done, it's gorgeous!!!!

Someone commented about never being snowed in for more than 24 hours. It depends more on where you live. If I lived in suburbia, we'd get out easily once we got past the driveway; we could slide down the street. But I have a mile long, single lane private road before getting to the first plowed road, and I'm thinking we'll be here for at least two days--when we'll be able to get out in the 4WD. We'd have no chance in the other cars! I've seen pics of I-81, and it looks pretty good right now.

Funnnnnn daayyyyy!

post-4183-13535083227816_thumb.jpg

post-4183-13535083228207_thumb.jpg

post-4183-13535083228511_thumb.jpg

We are supposed to get up to 2 feet:confused:, We are going ice skating on the lake (at the back of our property), my kids invited some friends to go skating. We'll head out after lunch with snacks and a huge thermos of hot cocoa and skate till the snow gets thick or if it gets too dark.

I actually ONLY like the winter if it's snowy. If it's just muddy, dirty and stinking cold I really don't care for it.:)

We have 12" on our deck and it's still snowing like crazy!!!

We're also under a blizzard warning until 6pm.

They closed the main road through town (Rt. 301) so I know it's bad out there!!

We're supposed to get another 4" to 12" before it's all over (I'm south-east of Fredericksburg, Virginia).

Time for cookie baking and hot cocoa! :D

Is 301 still closed? Dh is trying to get his check cashed and all our banks are closed he was going to head down there.

ETA, n/m our local grocer is going to cash it :)

Edited by lionfamily1999