Menu

What should I bring to the hospital...

I'm planning on visiting a friend in the hospital this evening. She is in her sixties, and is in critical condition from a post-surgical infection. They are saying that it is life-threatening at this point. She is heavily medicated for pain, and it is likely that she will not be responsive, but I'd still like to visit, say a prayer over her and hold her hand for a moment (if possible), and I'd like her family to know that I care.

I hate to arrive anywhere empty-handed. What can I bring? She has several grown children whom I have met, and one that I see regularly at church on Sundays. Is there anything that they might appreciate?

I think the snack box for the family is a lovely idea. Flowers sound lovely, too, but it's hard to know what kind of space is available for such in her room... have you any idea?

If you are a singer, I think it would be lovely to sing a hymn or carol or two to her. She just may hear it very well, even if she cannot respond.

If she is in intensive care, they most likely will not allow any plants in the room. Possibly florist flowers, but nothing with dirt (at least this has been my experience from working at more than half a dozen different hospital's ICUs). Call ahead and see if visitors will be allowed. Many hospitals in my area are severely restricting visitors due to flu. Some ICU's have strict visiting hours. Some have strict limitations on number of visitors, etc.

Probably a nice card or note would be best. Many rooms are limited in size and it is frustrating as a nurse to try to work around a lot of personal stuff when dealing with IV tubing, vent tubing, and all the other complicated stuff that goes along with caring for a critical patient. A card can easily be taped to the window or wall, and some rooms have tack boards for cards. If your kids also know your friend, they could draw her a picture. When your friend recovers, she can look at the cards and will be happy to know that you were there in her hour of need.

If you feel comfortable, you could read a passage from a book to her.

(or you could bring chocolates for the nurses....:D)

ETA: those who suggested food for the families are very insightful. Many times families do not want to leave the hospital and a snack box, especially one with healthy alternatives like apples, nuts or dried fruit (if you know the family's preferences) would be nice.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

I like the tiny tree idea, as well as snacks. Does the family live close to the hospital? I had a friend once in the hospital (stillbirth) and the situation was completely unexpected and they lived an hour from the hospital. I brought snacks, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, and shaving supplies for the dh. He felt a hundred times better for being able to wash up the few days they were there, and the snacks were handy because hospital food and vending machines are $$$.

Would it be a foolish idea to bring a very small cd player with a cd of piano hymns or instrumental music I think she might enjoy?

Also, I feed people. That's pretty much what I do. Always.

I'm still not sure what snacks to bring, and how to package them so they'd be the least obtrusive, but still available, kwim? Also, I'd love to actually *make* them something to snack on, but I can't think of the right things, or anything more convenient than what could be bought at the store.

Maybe some Chex mix, or some muddy buddies for those who may be craving chocolate under stress?

Any more ideas?

Would it be a foolish idea to bring a very small cd player with a cd of piano hymns or instrumental music I think she might enjoy?

Also, I feed people. That's pretty much what I do. Always.

I'm still not sure what snacks to bring, and how to package them so they'd be the least obtrusive, but still available, kwim? Also, I'd love to actually *make* them something to snack on, but I can't think of the right things, or anything more convenient than what could be bought at the store.

Maybe some Chex mix, or some muddy buddies for those who may be craving chocolate under stress?

Any more ideas?

I have worked at hospitals that do not allow personal electronics in a room until they have been inspected and "approved" by their maintenance/electronics department. They are afraid of a malfunctioning electronic device causing harm and the ensuing liability. *IF* it is allowed, I think it is a wonderful idea. Music can be very therapeutic.

If she is in Intensive Care it is probably not a good idea too bring something. Flowers/plants are usually not allowed and electronics usually have to be approved of by the bio-med department. Also, the ICU I worked in did not have much room at all, meaning no drawers, no closets, etc. So whenever a patient was transferred to ICU, all of their belongings were sent home except for dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aides, canes and prosthetics:( You could ask the nurses there if there is anything that you could bring to comfort the patient since hospitals do vary. As for the family, maybe a gift card to the hospital cafeteria?