Menu

Something creative my daughters absolutely loved

I was just searching for some gift books online and came across something similar to an item my daughters have loved and used over and over. Do any of you remember the original barbie fashion design studio where the child would trace the face and body and then use the stencil for the clothes and finally color the outfit and face in? All of my daughters, and I have many, spent hours for months at a time playing with this between the ages of 8-13 and even older. My two youngest got it out during the summer and rarely does a day go by when they aren't working at it. We have dozens of spiral notebooks containing all of the fashions glued onto the pages.

I've wanted to recommend this in the past, but it hasn't been made in at least 20 years and goes for over $80 on ebay. The new fashion design studios are nice, but more complicated and I think some of them don't encourage as much designing as the old one. Anyway, I found something similar today and it's only $9.95 so I have to share it. I think it would appeal to younger girls especially, probably 6 or 7 and up.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Fashion-Stencil-Set/dp/B000VO3HCS/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_b you'll need to add the tracing pad.

If you find this helpful, please bump because I won't remember to come back.

Edited by love2read

I remember the Barbie one where it was a rubbing set to make different outfits. I wish I could find something like that. Anyone know of one?

Thanks for the suggestion/link.

I was looking for that also. I came across one in K-mart for $4.99. DS got it for my dd for christmas. I could not finda link on line but I know i purchased it there.

We had the hearthsong one too and the textured plates are great. I'd encourage you to try the ones with stencils if, which the hearthson doesn't have, if your child is around 8 as they allow for more imaginative play. Our girls lost interest in the hearthsong one after a few weeks. Back in the 60s my sister had the barbie tracing system with the lighted drawing unit. It was so neat and I was so jealous :001_huh: She never let me play with it. Wonder if she still has it :glare:

Oh, I remember Fashion Plates!

This is what I grew up with...and I don't remember that they were Barbie brand. But I got my dd's set about 10 years ago & it was Barbie.

My fav. thing to do was to do the bride's dress with the lightest shade of some color (like blue) b/c I didn't have a white colored pencil. :D

I had a Crayola one as a kid and when I read this I went to go look for it. Sure enough I still have it! Must have loved to have saved it through moving to college, living in three different states and now I can still find it. My girls are going to love it! It makes me laugh looking at it though because the stencils are kind of dated looking. Do you think my kids will notice that all the dresses have big ruffles and bows? Funky hats? Fun overalls? Leg warmers? :001_smile: I can't wait to show it to them!