Menu

I "had" to go apply for state health benefits for the kids again today.........

When DH's benefits expire at the end of this month, we will not be able to afford COBRA for our family of 5.

XH is still un/underemployed and paying a dismal amount of child support.

My dd is still sick and still requires major $ meds.

We can't self insure. DH is chronically ill also; I don't know what we'll do about him.

I did pick up another night @ work for poker. It's a wash, though, since I lost my newest student in my homeschool.

When DH's benefits expire at the end of this month, we will not be able to afford COBRA for our family of 5.

XH is still un/underemployed and paying a dismal amount of child support.

My dd is still sick and still requires major $ meds.

We can't self insure. DH is chronically ill also; I don't know what we'll do about him.

I did pick up another night @ work for poker. It's a wash, though, since I lost my newest student in my homeschool.

:grouphug:

Keep in mind that Congress may extend the Cobra subsidy before the end of the year. If they do, you will only have to pay 35% of the actual costs. Keep track of the news.

I'm sorry about everything. BTDT with unemployment this year.

Louise

We had to apply as well a couple of years ago because our insutrance didn't pay for my children's therapies at all and they needed the therapies. It was a hassle and has been a pain to maintain, but we couldn't make it without it.

If your child with the medical needs is considered to have a disability, it may be easier to qualify that way, for that child anyway, than by income. The income levels here are ridiculously high before a person can qualify or pay on the sliding scale.

There is no shame in applying, or receiving the help. That is what it was designed for.

Keep in mind that Congress may extend the Cobra subsidy before the end of the year. If they do, you will only have to pay 35% of the actual costs. Keep track of the news.

I'm sorry about everything. BTDT with unemployment this year.

Louise

:confused: There is a Cobra *subsidy*? Can you tell me more?

:confused: There is a Cobra *subsidy*? Can you tell me more?

Here's the federal government link:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/cobra.html

The subsidy depends on your husband's date of termination. If his employment ends before the 31st, he is eligible.

You have 60 days after termination to enroll in COBRA. If you enroll later, your premiums have to start from the date of termination. This also means your coverage is retroactive, e.g. any service you had in that period will be covered.

Keep reading for updates to see if it is extended. I can't find any updates to see if Congress voted yet.

If I see anything coming up about this, I will PM you with the info. The people you need to keep asking about the COBRA is the company's HR department or their COBRA administrator. They are responsible for knowing the current laws for unemployment.

FYI, we did the COBRA subsidy and we paid $350/month for medical/dental.

Louise

Edited by LMA

Your taxes help pay for that insurance. It's there for people that need it. Don't feel bad. Then again, feeling bad shows that you are not the kind of person that will abuse the system or accept it for life. But don't feel guilty for needing it. It was beyond your control. Be glad that it's there for you.