Menu

Culinary Chefs ~ Need recipe for BEST pecan pie and yummy granola bars

This is my mil's recipe. It is the only pecan pie that my husband and son like.

• 1 cup light Karo syrup
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups pecans (I don't eat pecan pie, so I don't know what difference it makes, but dh only likes pecan halves, not the chopped ones.)

mix all ingredients and pour into two prepared pie shells. bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

EmeraldJoy posted her granola bar recipe awhile back and I've made it several times since. It's amazing, and I always get rave reviews on it:

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/

My favorite version is with almonds, cranberries, and flax seed. Yum!

Edited by melissel

I have not made this yet, but it gets raves on a parenting board I am on:

NO CORN SYRUP PECAN PIE

A maple pecan pie recipe with maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, and pecans.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 prepared unbaked pastry shell, 9-inch (or make your own)

* 4 eggs

* 1 cup pure maple syrup

* 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

* 2 tablespoons melted butter

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1 1/4 cups pecan pieces or halves

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350° and place rack at lowest position. Sprinkle pecans onto bottom of pie shell. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add maple syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Blend well and pour into prepared pie shell/pecans.

Bake until done (can take between 40mins to 70mins).

Here's one I've altered slightly to make it more bearable (I hate pie). Dh routinely gets comments like 'This is the best pecan pie I've ever eaten' when he takes it to neighbors and coworkers.

Whisk: 3 eggs

Add & whisk: 1 c. light Karo syrup

1 c. sugar (granulated)

1 tsp. vanilla

Here's where I ad lib. I add a few drops of pure almond extract; a pinch of grated vanilla bean (in a jar from a natural food store); a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg (Asian or Mexican store - NOT the usual stuff); and anything else I feel like. Whisk.

Barely melt 2 tbsp. butter (Land 'O Lakes) and whisk into the above mixture. Make sure it's not too hot or it will 'cook' your egg whites and make lumps. Yuk.

Stir in about 1 1/4 c. chopped pecans. I only use chopped because the halves always seemed to burn before the guts were set. I also don't like too many pecans. Yukky and dry.

Let this sit so the pecans can soak a little while you make your crust. I can give you the recipe for that if you want. I think that's one of the attractions for this pie. Let me know.

Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 nearer bottom of oven until 'set'. (Too close to the top and the pecans burn. Yuk.) To test, jiggle the oven rack slightly. When the center of the pie just barely jiggles like jello, take it out and put it on a rack. It's ready to eat when the bottom of the pie plate is cool to the touch. Eat it any sooner and it's liable to be too runny.

HTH

Kathy

Yes, please give the crust recipe!

Well....I have not made pecan pie either but I have everything ready to make this one over the weekend - it is going to be my birthday cake! I love how Pioneer Woman explains/shows things and I expect that it will be deeeee-licious, just like her Apple Pie!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/pecan-pie/

You will not be disappointed...I'm making her pasta primavera and cookies tonight. :)

• 4 weeks later...

every post is either from a person who knows of a recipe or from a person who makes pecan pie but doesn't like or eat pecan pie. :willy_nilly: (Except you, Stacie! Of course, your recipe does have chocolate chips...Yes, I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Pecan Pie.)

Is there not anyone in this great and vast planet that has a GREAT pecan pie recipe and actually LOVES to eat pecan pie? :001_huh:

please...

please...

please...

Also hoping to hear from you,

Claire in NM

OK, one more bump up...anyone else with a pecan pie recipe and/or granola cookie bar recipe?

Here's my granola bar recipe (not a granola cookie bar, though):

Granola bars

2/3 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup honey or corn syrup

2/3 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)

2 1/2 cups rice krispies

2 1/2 cups oats

1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl combine the rice krispies and oats. Grease a 10x13 pan and the back of a large spoon.

Combine brown sugar and honey/corn syrup in a saucepan and heat to a low boil. Stir in the peanut butter. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into the bowl of cereal & oats. Mix well (not with the greased spoon). Transfer granola mixture to the greased pan and press it into the pan with the back of the greased spoon. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.

Other cereals can be used in combination with the rice krispies, such as Cheerios, Kix and Chex, but I recommend that at least 1 cup of the cereal is rice krispies. You can also add 1/2-1 cup of peanuts without needing to adjust the measurements of the other ingredients.

ETA: I used to heat the brown sugar, corn syrup & peanut butter in the microwave, but found it was too hard to hold the hot bowl while pouring it into the cereal. It's much easier to hold the handle of a saucepan.

Edited by gardening momma