Menu

Raw Milk...is it worth it?

I am considering buying a share in a raw dairy coop. Before I do, though I want to be sure that the health benefits of consuming raw dairy products far outweigh the hassles and cost associated with the coop.

We were given a sample of the milk, butter and yogurt yesterday, and the kids love it.

Up to this point we have been using organic milk and yogurt, but I would like to go unpasteurized. Is there really a benefit to this health-wise?

We use raw milk. My dh is the one that has researched raw milk and its benefits. I do know that it is easier to digest when it is unpasteurized and that it contains good bacteria that helps your digestive track out and that good bacteria gets killed in the pasteurization process. I would make sure it is a state certified dairy.

Ir's flu prevention stuff! My mom called me all excited this a.m. Evidently in WI they had a list of three things you could do to prevent the flu.

1. eat salmon

2. take probiotics

3. drink raw milk

this was on their local news channel. I've been trying to find a link with no luck. I'll keep looking.

We tried it, maybe not for long enough - about 3 months - and it didn't do anything for us and we have serious allergy, etc. issues. I quit because it was hard to get and... because of lack of pasteurization it got "fizzy" sometimes. Everyone says there's nothing wrong with it, but I just couldn't drink it like that.

I get scared because it isn't pasteurized. I buy organic, but my SIL bought raw from a farm and they all got sick from it. I don't know. I'm sure it's great for some people.

From what I've read, there is a slightly lower chance of getting food poisoning from raw milk than unpasteurized. Maybe your SIL was unlucky with the raw milk and you've been lucky with your pasteurized milk! Naturally, I can't remember where I read it, but reading these things doesn't tend to help with the "ick!" factor, heheh.

Rosie

We have just started using raw milk. I don't drink much milk but I do use it on my cereal, etc. and in my tea and coffee, and the girls each have one cup per day to drink. Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference since we made the switch. I can't really even taste the difference. But it's only been a month or two and I don't really use all that much of it. We do buy whole organic or organic cream-top milk if we run out of the raw (we get raw through our veggie co-op on a weekly basis).

Dh grew up on raw goat's milk and he gets sick very rarely. He is happy to be drinking minimally processed milk again.

If you drink milk- I would go for it. It tastes great and it is a real, unprocessed food as opposed to a highly processed and debateably toxic one. Raw milk is streaks ahead of pasteurised organic.

Says me....heading toward raw food veganism and contemplating giving up cows milk altogether.....sniff sniff

We've been drinking it for 3 years. I really only have it in cereal and tea. I make kefir out of it for ds2. I wouldn't say we've had any dramatic differences in our lives since on it. It's just IMO better from the standpoint of it's less processed, we know the farm where it comes from, we know the cows are healthy and well taken care of, and we're supporting a local farmer.

If you think of it like you think of human breastmilk....it has LOADS of benefits that we only recently have been able to identify. Pasteurization kills all the good stuff, just like heating breast milk to high temps does.

I inquired at a few local dairies, just asked them if they'd be willing to sell to me. I found one that will; the agreement is that we call it MILK FOR OUR PETS and not for human consumption, wink wink. We pay less for it at the dairy than we would for regular milk at the grocery store. And, they deliver it!

This dairy has been around and I trust them. We count ourselves among the very fortunate to be able to get it. It is just nuts how hard/expensive it is to get healthy foods.

Don't forget about the lack of hormones in raw milk. Wonder why girls are reaching puberty much earlier than they used to??? could this have something to do with it??? I believe so...

Just because it's raw does not mean it's automatically hormone free though. Unless the farmer does not treat the herd with hormones..... whether it's raw or not is not going to make the difference.

Canadian milk is all hormone free as they're banned here.

I'm on the fence on this issue. I'm a huge proponent of breast milk for human babies. I'm not convinced that adult humans need the milk of any other species for any reason. Cow milk is biologically the perfect food for cow babies.

At the same time most of us here are fortunate enough to not be eating a subsistence diet - we're not just eating things we 'need'. We're eating things we like, or things which we think might optimize our nutritional intake.....

If I had my own cow, maybe, though I think I'd still want to pasteurize it. Brucellosis, campylobacter, ecoli......

You have to have a lot of faith in the farmer, the vaccination of the herd, health monitoring etc. After all, we began to pasteurize because of the diseases spread in the milk......

Anyway, my own suspicion is that it's probably better to cut dairy out altogether rather than switching to raw.

Edited by hornblower
somehow a lactation consultant ended up saying we didn't need milk - eeeeeek!