Menu

End of the year panic-- 1st grade history--Help Me Make UP My Mind!

Medieval Mom

As we approach the new year, I'm wondering what to do about HISTORY.

We had all the good intentions to start ancients in first grade, but many, MANY, life changes happened (which I won't go into now). Needless to say, we are half way through our 1st grade year, and so far, we've enjoyed a relaxed, interest-led American history semester. I don't regret a minute of it, for we've make GREAT progress is ds's abilities in math, reading, writing, etc., and he's learned a lot of American history (and loves it!). (Also, ds is young for his grade-- he'll turn 7 just a few days before beginning 2nd.)

But, now, I'm beginning to ask myself whether I should try to:

1) Get back on board and begin Ancients in the New Year. And if so,

a) Finish ancients in one semester to begin SOTW2 in second. Or,

b) Begin ancients now, but take a calendar year to get through it (and determine to change history cycles at the calendar year instead of "school year", which for us begins in July.)

2) Finish out our year in American history. Begin second grade with:

a) SOTW cycle.

b) VP, which conveniently begins in 2nd with Old Testament/Ancient Egypt.

c) LCC, which truly begins in 2nd with Ancient Egypt (I'd use Greenleaf's Guides, too.)

3) Work through CHOW in the second half of this year, to "catch up" with the LCC cycle, and begin Ancient Egypt in July.

I'm even considering the crazy...

4) Read the CHOW chapters skipped in AO, and begin Year 2 AO in July. (We've read the majority of AO 1 already, and could easily finish the rest by July.)

Even crazier still, I'm having thoughts such as

5) Use BF Early Am for 2nd. OR

6) Get Trisms History Makers and take each week's lesson as a month's work (and not use it independently, but rather as a guide.)

Then there's the EASIEST option, but one which leaves little paper trail:

7) Do what we're doing now. Choose a time period. Give ds books to read independently about the subject and orally narrate every day. Read aloud books from the same era. Do crafts, projects, videos, etc. which correlate to this era. I'd call this a "pure living books" approach. In the older grade, incorporate more writing assignments from history/lit. Look the place up on a globe, map, etc. My ds, so far, loves this approach and is doing well with it. He's certainly learned a lot that I never knew! I'm just nervous as a first time hs mom whether this is, indeed, ENOUGH.

I hope someone out there can help, because I'm driving myself (and my poor dh) crazy with my constant researching and indecision on how to proceed. Ack! Help, help!

Luckily, I'm thrilled with the rest of our choices this year, and can foresee us being happy with them for many years to come. It's just that how to proceed with history has gotten me bogged down.:confused:

Edited by Medieval Mom

I think it depends on what you want your history progression to be. For me, I want to follow TWTM recommendations, so were it me, I would choose SOTW 1 and start it in January, taking as long as it takes to get through it and then moving on to SOTW 2. My kids LOVED SOTW 1 last year, and there were so many opportunities to study the cultures and enjoy ourselves that it would be shame to rush through it just to get it done.

Tara

In first grade, listening to the stories is more than plenty. If it bothers you that you didn't start Ancients in first grade and you want to make it up, you still can with a very minimal time investment. Get the CD and have your little one listen to the stories in SOTW 1.

Each story is about 5 minutes long -- you can chat about it informally later and don't worry about doing all the activities and "book" work. Your child can easily listen to the entire book in under a couple of months and believe me, your dc will internalize the stories and KNOW them. You can then pick it up with book 2 next year and not miss a beat.

When I first got the books on CD, my ds took the first one and listened to it in one day! He loved it and often listens to them for fun. The SOTW books are permanently loaded on his iPod. I often hear one coming from the garage when ds is playing legos in there.

Put on the CD and hand your dc paper and crayons while you go move the wash to the dryer. (Can you tell I love audio books for little ones?)

Finally, it sounds like you guys are having a great time. I wouldn't "fix" it -- just add a story during quiet time every day and you'll be done with the book in no time and ready for Middle Ages next year.

Thank your for all the replies so far! I truly, truly appreciate it!:)

In first grade, listening to the stories is more than plenty. If it bothers you that you didn't start Ancients in first grade and you want to make it up, you still can with a very minimal time investment. Get the CD and have your little one listen to the stories in SOTW 1.

Each story is about 5 minutes long -- you can chat about it informally later and don't worry about doing all the activities and "book" work. Your child can easily listen to the entire book in under a couple of months and believe me, your dc will internalize the stories and KNOW them. You can then pick it up with book 2 next year and not miss a beat.

When I first got the books on CD, my ds took the first one and listened to it in one day! He loved it and often listens to them for fun. The SOTW books are permanently loaded on his iPod. I often hear one coming from the garage when ds is playing legos in there.

Put on the CD and hand your dc paper and crayons while you go move the wash to the dryer. (Can you tell I love audio books for little ones?)

Finally, it sounds like you guys are having a great time. I wouldn't "fix" it -- just add a story during quiet time every day and you'll be done with the book in no time and ready for Middle Ages next year.

Hmm... I *DO* have the SOTW1 on cd. This could work! ;)

a) Finish ancients in one semester to begin SOTW2 in second. No, you may not want to rush through it! I find that if you take rabbit trails you can stretch it way out when they are young, and it’s more fun that way. b) Begin ancients now, but take a calendar year to get through it (and determine to change history cycles at the calendar year instead of "school year", which for us begins in July.) Maybe

a) SOTW cycle. Yes! Using Ancient Explorations…LOL. :lol:

c) LCC, which truly begins in 2nd with Ancient Egypt (I'd use Greenleaf's Guides, too.)

they all sound like viable options!

7) Do what we're doing now. Choose a time period. Give ds books to read independently about the subject and orally narrate every day. Read aloud books from the same era. Do crafts, projects, videos, etc. which correlate to this era. I'd call this a "pure living books" approach. In the older grade, incorporate more writing assignments from history/lit. Look the place up on a globe, map, etc. My ds, so far, loves this approach and is doing well with it. He's certainly learned a lot that I never knew! I'm just nervous as a first time hs mom whether this is, indeed, ENOUGH.

It’s enough; he’s still young, and it’s plenty of work for anyone, even up through high school, assuming you add more and more research and writing as he matures. And I would alternate independent reading with read-alouds; for both you and your son.

Best wishes with your decision! :grouphug:

We are off schedule because we did Ancients over several years as afterschoolers. Then, when we were full-time homeschoolers we took several months to successfully add SOTW2. I have decided to try to get back on schedule before the logic stage, and my solution was the following:

1) Skip Modern Times this cycle - I will try to introduce good fiction books drawing on themes from modern history. But that will be an extra, not part of our scheduled history.

2) I took the remaining time, and split it evenly between SOTW2 & SOTW3.

3) I "regrouped" like chapters into thematic or cultural blocks. Each week we might might listen to 1-3 chapters on audio (usually in the car), but we focus our attention on one particular aspect - usually a historical figure (e.g. reading several biographies and doing a narration our outline of the person) or a piece of literature (e.g. reading a version of Beowulf and narrating).

This is working well for us. We are gaining a familiarity with the historical periods, but not "overloading" on information. And we will begin the WTM 4-year history cycle again with the Logic stage/Gr5.

I'd continue doing what you are doing until 2nd grade, pick up with Ancients then, and go thru 5th grade with SOTW 1, 2, 3 and 4.

In 6th, 7th and 8th, I'd do one year of Ancients, one medieval/ren, and, in 8th grade, do one year American in depth.

9th-12, do Great Books in a 4 year rotation, supplementing with Spielvogel as SWB says in WTM. Add in a semester of government (required by many colleges) by following the rec's in WTM (you can do it simultaneously with history).

But that's just me! lol

I would not recommend rushing thru SOTW in one semester.

You've received many good suggestions. I would only add that it's first grade history! There is no need to panic. 11 1/2 more years ahead.

Pick an option that keeps history fun and engaging. History is currently one of my son's favorite subjects because we kept it fun and filled it with interesting stories. So relax and enjoy it.

You've received many good suggestions. I would only add that it's first grade history! There is no need to panic. 11 1/2 more years ahead.

Pick an option that keeps history fun and engaging. History is currently one of my son's favorite subjects because we kept it fun and filled it with interesting stories. So relax and enjoy it.

:iagree:

Words of wisdom. Thank you:)

What approach do you think helped you keep history fun and engaging? I'm trying to determine what would do this for us. My ds seems to like hands-on activities more than I thought he would. I don't know, for example, whether filling out the worksheets from VP would be an energy-zapper, or provide just the skeleton we need. I do like the idea of memory work and picture study being provided for me (we do memory work every day already), as well as a song (we sing every morning, and my ds loves this!). I can envision how this could work for us. Admittedly, I'm also attracted to the idea that we're not "behind" for either the VP or LCC scope and sequences.

However, I'm also intrigued by a more "living books" approach ala CM or LCC. For example, after reading LCC, I have the impression that Andrew suggests just this (at least in the primary years)== reading history. No lapbooks, written narrations, etc. While I am attracted to the idea of just reading about it (that is, after all, how I learn about history;)), and adding in a few projects, etc., I'm plagued by the idea of it being not enough, or having "nothing to show for it". Hmpf. (I know, I know. This is a mentality I could try to overcome! I could make up my own discussion questions, or use Greenleaf guides and others, to guide us in our oral discussions/narrations and be quite happy with this. Really. I'd just make a little checkbox on our schedule for oral discussion/narration and happily check it off each day.:rolleyes:)

After following our own way in math, for example, I'm ridiculously happy to hand over that planning to CLE:D and am glad we made the switch. I can see ds and I enjoying a program with activities and discussion questions provided.

And, of course, TWTM is what encouraged and led me to homeschooling, so I feel a profound respect and allegiance to its method. :patriot:

Ack!:tongue_smilie:

Thank you for everyone's responses. I'm eager to hear more of your wise thoughts! :bigear:

(There's nothing quite like trying to make up someone else's mind, is there? :lol:)

Edited by Medieval Mom

For us, the AG for SOTW has provided the fun and frolic! When we don't do some sort of cooking or art or game, history loses a lot of its punch for dd.

Oh, and, thinking about what you said about narration, I think we do this more to give dd a chance to review and get things straight in her head, which aids in retention. It's also our primary method of writing at the moment, and less about what we have to show for our work.

I have to add, too, that the supplemental books, particularly those with pictures, add a lot to our history program. We've struck out with several chapter books for SOTW, but dd does have a pretty fleshed out picture of historical events--we are reading The Sign of The Sugared Plum right now, and it's making the London Plague really come alive and hit home, iykwim.

FWIW, I bought the VP cards and TM for this time period, and it doesn't hold a candle to what we are doing in the AG.

I am finishing up with the history program in my signature, both with writing it, (or trying to find the time:glare:) and with reading the books with my six year old. We have not read all of the books, but ds really enjoys history this way: through picture books! We always have enjoyed it this way with the little ones. The projects are not overdone, and as with anything, you can pick and choose what you would like to do. Also if you are worried about creating a paper trail why don’t you take a look at the Ancient Exploration notebooking pages; they are very nicely done. You can do this curriculum or any curriculum in a CM style, just read the books and use narration to access comprehension. You could also take a curriculum like SOTW, and use it in an LCC way, by stretching it out and only covering those time periods suggested each year with plenty of supplemental books. :)

I think what makes a relaxed style of doing history more enjoyable, is simply the fact that you are relaxed; there is no rushing through of topics just to get it done by a certain date. There are no public school mentality constraints, no tests, and no emphasis on strict review. Because you have created a love for learning in a pleasurable manner, you can be sure of retention. We remember what we are excited about; if it was fun it will create a lasting impression. Also, at this age, it’s just not important for them to have mastery of all of the facts that they are going to revisit again at a later date.

I am finishing up with the history program in my signature, both with writing it, (or trying to find the time:glare:) and with reading the books with my six year old. We have not read all of the books, but ds really enjoys history this way: through picture books! We always have enjoyed it this way with the little ones. The projects are not overdone, and as with anything, you can pick and choose what you would like to do.

:iagree:I did not read SOTW with DD. She is a visual learner and I just knew it wouldn't go over well. ;) She really enjoys lots of picture books, discussion and a few projects. (One per civilization is more our style, instead of one every week.) We took the same aproach to world geography/cultures when we did that. Projects, notebooking pages and books (mostly picture books). She enjoyed a few movies and websites as well (not very many 5-6). It is her favorite part of homeschool. (Though I have a feeling Chemistry will trump that as her favorite, if we ever start it she has been asking for experiments.)

(One per civilization is more our style, instead of one every week.)

I can see us enjoying this approach, too. That's partly why I'm attracted to LCC's approach. If we did Ancient Egyptians next year, for example, we could really delve deeply into the subject and have fun with picture books, coloring books and crafts from Dover, activity books like Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors, etc. There are so many great resources out there! :) It would certainly make things easier for me, since I could use anything and everything from Ancient Egypt for the year, instead of trying to come up with a particular project or book tied to each and every subject of the week. (We rely heavily on the library, which often has books we need checked out!)

One could study one civilization per year or half-year, while listening to the relevant SOTW cds, too. Hmm....

Since dh is from Norway, perhaps we could even take a year or semester to study the Vikings or Scandinavian history. Food for thought;)

a) Finish ancients in one semester to begin SOTW2 in second. No, you may not want to rush through it! I find that if you take rabbit trails you can stretch it way out when they are young, and it’s more fun that way. b) Begin ancients now, but take a calendar year to get through it (and determine to change history cycles at the calendar year instead of "school year", which for us begins in July.) Maybe

a) SOTW cycle. Yes! Using Ancient Explorations…LOL. :lol:

they all sound like viable options!

It’s enough; he’s still young, and it’s plenty of work for anyone, even up through high school, assuming you add more and more research and writing as he matures. And I would alternate independent reading with read-alouds; for both you and your son.

Best wishes with your decision! :grouphug:

Hmm... These, your bolded words above, are exactly my thoughts on this cloudy Monday! Hopefully the clouds will soon lift and I'll find my way. I must remember that all who wander are not lost.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I continue to vacillate, but this morning I am swaying more and more to LCC. I keep re-reading the book (2nd edition), which truly makes sense to me :) I won't follow it EXACTLY in all subjects (we love CLE here for LA and math), but the literature, history, etc. all seem to congeal what I love about classical with what I love about a rigorous CM approach (based on her original writings, not the "soft" interpretations so frequently endorsed as CM!).

Thank you, all, for taking the time to give me your food for thought. As a newcomer to hsing, I appreciate all the advice. Truly! :)

I would start with the ancients next year and do a three year rotation starting in middle school (or make the first rotation three years). I started the ancients with my older son when he was in 3rd grade and then did/am doing a two year rotation in middle school. It has worked out fine, though three years would have been better.

I think this is exactly what I would do.

We are doing AO but with a 4 yr history/science rotation. :)

Oh, dear! I can feel the pendulum swinging again...

I *do* love what I've seen of SOTW ancients --and I already have the materials! Arrrggghhh!!!

If we did go with SOTW, I guess I'll have to decide whether to start in January in 1st, or July in 2nd. :tongue_smilie:

As my dear sister asked me last night, "Why are you making this so hard on yourself?" Indeed, why? :confused: I guess this decision is difficult because I feel as if I'm not only choosing a history curriculum, but also embracing a particular philosophy. Do I "go WTM" or "go LCC" or what have you. I know you with lots of experience are probably just shaking your head and perhaps a trifle annoyed with my silly quandary. :001_unsure: Forgive me!

We've been doing something akin to your #7 all along...

1st grade was entirely interest-led, and we got into the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World (touched on Ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt), Venice, the Silk Road, and Ancient China.

In 2nd we started with American History. It has been chronological rather than interest led, but it's been living books - non-fiction, fiction, biographies, along with field trips, documentaries, etc. We're finishing it up now 1/2 way through 6th. :blushing: We'll start up with Ancients soon - hopefully by the new year.

I think it's been a fabulous way to learn history. I feel like I'm learning new things all the time too!

The problem with your "option 7" is.... who will plan all those fun and relevant craft and project ideas? The SOTW Activity Guide has them all laid out for you, as well as fun picture books and 1/2 grade level fiction and non-fiction books that go along with each section. There are a lot of really fun suggestions in there. I remember my son making a real clay tablet with a message in hieroglyphics.

Whether you begin in second grade or the second half of first, please don't miss Story of the World (with Activity Guide). It is one of the highlights of our entire homeschooling career, one of those things that makes us feel really lucky to be on this path.

Plus, did you know that the reading level of the Story of the World volumes correspond to the age level? So Volume 1 is written for ages 6-7, 2 is written for 7-8, etc. So if you don't read it now, it will eventually lose its value to your child for the most part.

Good luck!

Julie (who is sad that her son wants to go to PS next year)

Oh, dear! I can feel the pendulum swinging again...

I *do* love what I've seen of SOTW ancients --and I already have the materials! Arrrggghhh!!!

If we did go with SOTW, I guess I'll have to decide whether to start in January in 1st, or July in 2nd. :tongue_smilie:

As my dear sister asked me last night, "Why are you making this so hard on yourself?" Indeed, why? :confused: I guess this decision is difficult because I feel as if I'm not only choosing a history curriculum, but also embracing a particular philosophy. Do I "go WTM" or "go LCC" or what have you. I know you with lots of experience are probably just shaking your head and perhaps a trifle annoyed with my silly quandary. :001_unsure: Forgive me!

I am pretty sure you can go LCC and still use SOTW. It may just modify how you use it. (not as much time focusing on history)

But if you haven't....

I would encourage you to just choose a path and begin in January. :001_smile:

Have you seen the painting by Raphael titled The School of Athens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_School_of_Athens

A widely accepted interpretation of the painting suggests that the two gentleman in the center are Plato and Aristotle. Plato believes that the world of the forms has the answers to life's questions; he points up. Logical thinking can answer all questions well. Aristotle also agrees that logic is a correct beginning, but postulates that conclusions must be field-tested in order to be valid; he points out to the natural world. He asserts that some logically derived truths will prove to be untrue when tested in reality; those conclusions must be reconsidered. Hmmmmm.... we'll have to re-think this. It is truly the most difficult part about homeschooling. AND it can be a mind-bender for a momma who has always planned her life and then successfully worked the plan.

I am by NO means trying to undermine your desire to choose a philosophy that fits you - one that you can begin with and end with. Yes, that would certainly be the neatest and tidiest way to move from point A to point B in every aspect of this home-schooling endeavor. Truly. From a philosophical standpoint, that does make the most sense. You are going to LOVE studying the Greeks! Plato and Socrates both advocated that you should think about a problem until you have solved it. Easy.

However life doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes Aristotle is right. Sometimes you need to move from the philosophical into the natural world in order to actually test your conclusions. And sometimes the things that I was certain of turned out to be untruths in my reality. It can be very annoying - especially when they were iron-clad truths for someone else. What in the world is up with that, and how could that possibly be the case!?!??? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever! :glare: But "Chin up!" I tell myself. In the long run it has been better for me to discover those personal-untruths early in my journey. :001_smile: And there has been much, much, much for me to learn by muddling along and testing out my conclusions. LOTS of those bullet-proof truths didn't work. At all. But I grew. My children grew. And we are still growing. AND!!! Oh, the AND - I learned so, so, so much content and discovered so many connections within the fields of history, literature, philosophy, the arts AS I muddled through trying to teach those subjects. (Love the Ah-ha moment from last summer about The Timaeus, the book that Raphael places in Plato's hand. Oh my! What a wonderful contemplative moment for me. I'm still trying to sift through how I feel about it, and what it means as a philosophically shifting event in our homeschool.) Anyway - it was in the doing that my philosophical method of homeschooling was forged. Thoughtfully (but not overly thoughtfully) considering a plan, and then actually working the plan really does work more efficiently than just thinking about doing it. It does seem counter-intuitive; I know. But it really does work.

And it really did take me years to begin to understand all of the people and events and how they fit together. It took me years to begin to feel like I was getting somewhere; there was a lot of muddling around in the beginning. How did the history and literature drive the culture and how did the culture respond in birthing its next philosophy? Once I began to study all of this in earnest with my kids, I became a better teacher. I just knew more. And I was beginning to understand some of the deeper issues. It just takes time to begin to understand. I have used many different history programs through the years. And now I use lots and none at all. :001_smile: Now I use materials to teach my kids; I don't cover curriculum. I am very happy about where we are headed. But I had to let go of the notion that fully developing my educational philosophy was the most efficient path to the goal. Field-testing turned out to be more valuable than I thought. It was in the doing, that I have ultimately grown the most.

I would encourage you to just begin. Learning this stuff is a whole lot more interesting that thinking about learning this stuff. And it has made me a better teacher at the high school level.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ

But if you haven't....

I would encourage you to just choose a path and begin in January. :001_smile:

No, I haven't found peace yet, but I thank you from my heart for your kind words, encouragement, and wisdom. I will re-read your post again and again until it sinks in (through this foggy cold/flu). I know that you are ENTIRELY correct in every word you wrote. I have learned so much about planning vs. doing in this, our first year of hsing, that I am humbled (but still learning and, apparently, indecisive :blushing:).

Now, off I go to choose a path! :laugh:

You are so very, very welcome! I am so glad that something I said helped.

Oh - this is a very busy time of year. And it's also the time of year when we reflect and make changes; the New Year's Resolution and all that. If you still feel stress about choosing something right now, I would encourage you to set all of it aside and just enjoy what life has to offer for the next couple of weeks. Make an appointment with yourself to sit down early in January for an hour or two. (I really would give myself a limited amount of time.) Pull out your list of options again; you have done your research well! You have listed some great programs! Review your options, and choose one that you feel relatively comfortable with; then just make the move toward doing it. It doesn't have to be a till-death-do-we-part thing. Just listen to your gut and then lean in that direction.

And then make an appointment with yourself in the future to sit down and re-assess your progress. (Try not to second-guess yourself on a whim. Homeschooling can be peppered with good days and bad days. And the bad days aren't necessarily an apocalyptic omen of some irreversible destruction to come. Sometimes it's just a bad day. :001_smile:)

Oh! I almost forgot. If you do have a bad day as you wait for your re-assessment appointment to arrive, you can do something to combat the urge to research, plan, and wonder about other curriculums and what you might be missing. There is something incredibly powerful that you can DO to fight against that inner angst. Find a book at the library and begin exploring some things on the edge of your own educational periphery. Really! Just as you encourage your child to read, do it yourself. Model it. (Hear me! :001_smile: Don't make the mistake that I did; don't start planning and researching a huge, all-encompassing adult history program complete with multiple spreadsheets and lists of things that need to be woven into it! Just pick a book and read it. ;)) A momma armed with knowledge and the wisdom gained from that knowledge is the best long-term curriculum. And Aesop is right; the hare has no advantage here; it is the turtle who will get 'er done. :001_smile: I wrote a lengthy post about this a while back on another message board. But the thrust of it was simple: I spent a ton of time planning the perfect education when my kids were little; I wish that I had spent more time focusing on self-education. When I finally discovered self-education and began to pursue it in earnest, things really took off around here. Choosing the perfect path wasn't really the issue; they were all good; they all headed in the same general direction. It was in the doing that I grew; the journey itself is very powerful. That's how I ended up with my siggy line. And no, I don't use the board's feature to include it automatically. I type it every time to keep myself in check. (Once a planner always a planner; it's an addiction thing! :001_smile:)

Once again, I'm glad that something that I said helped. I truly do hope that you find your own personal plateau of peace!

Warmly,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey