Menu

Grandmother has H1N1 and is in ICU

Could you please keep my husbands grandmother, my FIL, and the family in your prayers? I am unsure how bad things are. She has gone down hill quickly after being hospitalized after collapsing at home some time yesterday, she had been fine the day before, just not hungry. My SIL found her on the floor when she wouldn't answer the phone last night. She has confirmed H1N1 and they think she may have had a mild stroke in the midst of everything.

I am sorry to hear this.

The FDA did very recently approve a brand new IV antiviral medication. Perhaps her doctors would consider whether it's appropriate in her case.

It is called Peramivir. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/EUA/peramivir_recommendations.htm

best wishes

I mentioned this to my MIL. The hospital had said that there was no IV med to give her and I hadn't heard of this yet. The latest update is that her fever is down but when we last heard she isn't yet responsive. We are all hoping this is a turn in the right direction and she will improve from here. Thank you.