Menu

Ok, I need to get some books for ds on puberty...

Which of the following books would you recommend?  

1. 1. Which of the following books would you recommend?

• The Boy's Body Book (Dunham)
    • My Body, My Self for Boys (Madaras)
    • The Boy's Body Guide (Hawkins)
    • What's Going on Down There? (Gravelle)
    • AMA Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teen (AMA)
    • The "What's Happening to My Body" Book for Boys (Madaras)
    • other

Changes are already starting and he's asking questions -- he knows some things, but not others; I'm not nervous or uncomfortable talking with him, but I don't want it to be so disjointed like if I just answered the occasional questions when he thinks of them, kwim?

So I searched back through threads here on recommended books, and honestly there are several that seem to get good reviews, both here and on Amazon. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of looking at the book before I buy it, returning it is going be really inconvenient. I'm ok with buying more than one book.

What I was hoping was to get a feel for the most popular books from the list here (if I've left out a must-have let me know). I'm looking for something secular, I already have books from my own faith perspective on this topic.

tia!

It's Perfectly Normal by Harris and Emberly

and

What's Happening to Me? By Peter Mayle (A Year in Provence author)

are the ones that were recommended to me by real life friends (and I bought them). Right now we're in the strewing phase but I may read them together with my son too.

Most people love it, but those who hate it, seem to hate it passionately...

It discusses, calmly, all kinds of typical sexual behavior, and does not vilify common, consenting adults-type "sexual minorities". Since I have spent my life as an oddball, I am usually most accepted by people "used to being on the fringe" a bit, people used to looking at me, not my clothes or car or other superficial fronts, to prove I am worthy of talking to, and therefore seem to have been a bit of a magnet for h*m*se*ual friends. I appreciate this book because I'm already fielding questions about why little chum so and so has two mommies. (We are at the "that's just the way some people are" phase, but when that stops working, I have this book on the shelf.) :)

HTH

I don't know how sensitive your son is to thinking things are "too babyish" for him, but if he was, he might resist reading it for that reason. It's a wonderfully frank book with some comic relief that is welcomed by some easily-embarrassed children-it's a picture book.

I'm not familiar with all of the books, but we own The What's Happening to my Body book for Boys. One thing I like about it is that it has lists of slang terms for sex and body parts that I fear my somewhat sheltered, nerdy kids might find themselves not knowing in a social situation (in the far distant future one hopes!) with other kids. My oldest pored over it several times-I think he found it much easier to read it than to ask parents some of his most intimate questions.

Kate,

I got the Muslim book for teens. Don't have the title in front of me, but I guess it would be easy to search at any Islamic bookstore. it has information for boys and girls and deals with issues from an Islamic point of view while still being straighforward. I have told ds about what to expect during the night and what he needs to do in order to wash so he knows. BTW I usually have those conversations when I am alone in the car with him so he has no place to hide, but I do try to keep it short and somewhat sweet. Same as when I talk to him about how to behave in front of girls and what is appropriate.

I got the Muslim book for teens.
I already have these as well, I got them over the summer; but they don't really go into much detail on the "sciency" type stuff, I wanted something straightforward with facts (without judgments, I'll add those as needed). I do think dh is going to go into mild shock reading these books himself, lol, the whole topic is just never ever addressed in an open manner in his culture.

I don't have any suggestions on one-subject books (although I did read the Madaras book for girls when I was young and am not entirely sure I'd recommend it), but just fyi The Way We Work by David Macaulay does cover the reproductive organs in detail, over a couple pages, along with the rest of human anatomy. You can "look inside" on Amazon.

We have What's Happening to Me which is an Usborne book and we have It's Perfectly Normal. Both big hits with ds. I will say, that It's Perfectly Normal covers everything and if you are not okay with homosexuality, masturbation, and so on being covered it is not the book for you.

If you can find it used somewhere (I found ours at Halfprice books and there are currently multiple copies on Amazon), I highly recommend "The Human Story" subtitled "Facts on Birth, Growth, and Reproduction" by Sadie Hofstein.

I think it is the best sex ed book I have ever seen! It is a small (48 pages) paperback book that was used as a textbook in the 70s. My copy is from 1977.

It takes a scientific, no nonsense approach. It does not contain references to specific sexual acts beyond heterosexual intercourse.

Table of contents is:

• A Time of Change

• Growing toward maturity

• The stages of growth

• Signs of the times: physical changes

• Not-so-obvious changes

• Moving Toward Womanhood

• Female sex organs

• Female sex cells

• The menstrual cycle

• Menstrual hygiene

• Moving Toward Manhood

• Male sex organs

• Male sex cells

• Only one aspect of maturity

• How a Baby Begins

• Fertilization

• Will it be a boy or a girl?

• More than one?

• How the Unborn Baby Grows

• Pregnancy

• Cells Multiply and "specialize"

• How the baby is nourished

• The baby is ready for the outside world

• How the Baby is Born

• Breast feeding

• The newborn baby

• Heredity: The Matter of Life

• Predetermined characteristics

• Stronger and weaker genes

• Heredity and environment - plus

• Don't Be Afraid to Ask

• Glossary

• Reading List

I don't know how sensitive your son is to thinking things are "too babyish" for him, but if he was, he might resist reading it for that reason. It's a wonderfully frank book with some comic relief that is welcomed by some easily-embarrassed children-it's a picture book.
When you say slightly younger, would it be appropriate for my 8 yr old or is it targeted slightly older?

Both boys know the basics of where babies come from, it's the more detailed questions about sexuality and puberty that I'm starting to field now from my older.

Also NCERT's science for class VIII (Indian text) contains some biological matter, specifically chapters 9 and 10. You can download them from here. Ch 9 is about animal (including human) reproduction. Ch 10 discusses physical changes of puberty and the union of cells, if you will, but not particularly sexuality as such. This might give some information in a format more familiar to your husband, to supplement whatever else you decide to do.

When you say slightly younger, would it be appropriate for my 8 yr old or is it targeted slightly older?

Both boys know the basics of where babies come from, it's the more detailed questions about sexuality and puberty that I'm starting to field now from my older.

The presentation is in cartoon form but the content is pretty explicit. Calvin recommends It's Perfectly Normal for ages 11-12, then the Madaras book for just at the start of puberty.

For a younger child, I recommend It's So Amazing, which is also in cartoon form but aimed at younger children. I read through that with Hobbes recently.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

It's Perfectly Normal is the "oldest" of three books in the series. We have It's Not the Stork, which is an absolute FOUNTAIN of information, but my kids love and have learned so much from. It's recommended for ages 4 and up. The and up part is important; I think even preteens would gain a lot from it. I don't think it's babyish. My youngest was three (tho a precocious listener) and she learned a lot.

The next one, for ages 7 and up, is It's So Amazing. But, I think they are generally fairly broad in their age appeal. I think, if your values are comfortable with learning about those things, that It's Perfectly Normal would be both informative and appealing to both of your boys.