Menu

Can I play "would you eat this"?

I made split pea soup yesterday and I was so excited to eat it today. I made it with smoked ham shanks and split peas. I turned off the crockpot around 8pm lastnight and promptly fell asleep.

So, it sat on the counter for 12 hours. My house at night is between 60-66 degrees. What do you think? Should I try a small bit and see if I throw up or just chuck it? I'm so sad to have to throw it away. I'm the only one in my family that will eat it so I'm not afraid of poisoning anyone but me.

Kelly

I'd try it. And get the rest in the fridge immediately.

I stuck a chicken in the crockpot one day, turned it on, and left the house for the day. I came back 8 hours later to find that I'd forgotten to PLUG IN the crockpot. It was a sad, sad day.

"Pease porridge hot

Pease porridge cold

Pease porridge in the pot

nine days old"

It's only been 12 hrs. I'd put it into individual serving containers and freeze whatever I wasn't going to eat in the next day, and just nuke/reheat to the boiling point, and absolutely eat it!

I'd try it. And get the rest in the fridge immediately.

I stuck a chicken in the crockpot one day, turned it on, and left the house for the day. I came back 8 hours later to find that I'd forgotten to PLUG IN the crockpot. It was a sad, sad day.

I did get it in the fridge as soon as I figured out what I had done. I have done similar things with chicken.

Ok, I go ahead and try some. I love split pea soup.

"Pease porridge hot

Pease porridge cold

Pease porridge in the pot

nine days old"

:001_smile:

Under most regular circumstances, I'd say toss it. However, the residual heat in the crockpot is worth something. The fact that the MOM is the only person who may get sick is worth a LOT though. I'd try it (if I wanted to risk getting sick) but I absolutely wouldn't serve it to my family unless I knew for sure it would be okay!

Funny how my first thought was "no way!" but it changed as I read through the responses!

I would have dumped it into a stovetop pan and boiled it a solid two minutes, then put the pan in a sink of cold water and ice cubes (or cold packs) to chill fast, then refrigerate and enjoy at my leisure.

Can you explain why you would do this? I'm curious if I should do this next time. I'm sure there will be a next time since this wasn't the first time either. Luckily in the past I've woken up in the middle of the night and put it away.

Kelly