Menu

Favorite mid-rise jeans?

I need to buy jeans and would like to minimize the appearance of the roll around my waist, while also not wearing granny-style jeans. (I say "granny style" since this is what I've heard them called, but, of course, I wore high-waisted jeans for many years!)

I assume I need a mid-rise jean. Where should I shop and what style should I buy?

When both my beloved Gap jeans (in a discontinued style) developed holes in the knees, I actually found my replacement jeans at Wal-Mart, of all places. The "Riders, by Lee, with 'Slender Stretch'" style worked perfect for me - only kind in the whole store that didn't gap in the back. And they were the most comfortable, too. Plus, much cheaper than Gap - just $18.99. I bought three pair, and have worn them pretty much every day since - still love them.

For budget--I like the Levi's Signature they carry at Walmart. They come in talls, but they aren't TOO tall. Which is good for a long-legged 5'7 gal like me who needs them to be a little tall. But I guess would be bad if you were 5'10" and needed REAL talls!!

They are under $20 and good denim with a great fit--mid rise bootcut is what I buy.

Betsy

I need to buy jeans and would like to minimize the appearance of the roll around my waist, while also not wearing granny-style jeans. (I say "granny style" since this is what I've heard them called, but, of course, I wore high-waisted jeans for many years!)

I assume I need a mid-rise jean. Where should I shop and what style should I buy?

They hit me at a good spot, they are just a straight leg or slightly boot cut leg, not relaxed at all (which I can't wear), and they only have a tiny bit of spandex (I am opposed to spandex in my jeans, but they are SO hard to find without it). The little bit of spandex actually does, in fact, make them even more comfortable to wear. It does NOT, however, make them fit like a skin.

I found these to be well worth the $29/pr

Limited has a couple of styles I really like but I won't buy them unless they are on sale.

American Eagle also has good jeans but I'm not sure if you could find a mid-rise style there anymore.

I usually buy cheap jeans. What am I missing? I have 2 pair of Old Navy and, as others have said, here are the problems I have with them:

~ fit fine out of the dryer and then stretch out so that I have to keep pulling them up.

~ both of my pairs are supposedly the same size -- one is the above pair and the other pair is too tight.

Do more expensive jeans hold their shape throughout the day? Or is this a problem with Old Navy?

(Ended up not being able to shop yesterday but plan to today.)

Edited by profmom

I usually buy cheap jeans. What am I missing? I have 2 pair of Old Navy and, as others have said, here are the problems I have with them:

~ fit fine out of the dryer and then stretch out so that I have to keep pulling them up.

~ both of my pairs are supposedly the same size -- one is the above pair and the other pair is too tight.

Do more expensive jeans hold their shape throughout the day? Or is this a problem with Old Navy?

I buy my jeans a bit tight now; I NEVER did this before. Because once worn for one day they fit great. I LOVE the stretch/spandex in the jeans; it makes them almost as comfortable as sweat pants.

Yes, I have 3 pair of Levi's 512 jeans and one is larger than the other two even though they are all the same size.

Sizes change; that's part of the problem. I have a pair of Old Navy jeans I loved that I bought in 2005. They were getting ratty, so I bought the SAME SIZE AND STYLE last year--and they are too long and too tight.

I know my ON jeans have thinner denim than some others--but I think you can get a good pair of jeans for $30 or less--I love my Levi's Signature from Walmart, of all places. You just have to try on a lot and compare the details.

Betsy