Menu

JFS--Can you give more detail on your 18 types of cookies?

That sounds so yummy. I do something simple every Christmas that may be a bit similar. Here is a basic sugar cookie dough recipe that can be flavored and shaped into 10 different types of cookies. Sure saves a lot of time.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/baking/ten-ways-with-sugar-cookie-dough-00000000024244/index.html

I'm not JFS, but do something similar.

I try for a variety of color, shapes (and now, kid-friendly) and flavor options. My mom made 20+ kinds of cookies for years, so its a family tradition and certain cookies aren't negotiable, but I try to add at least one new cookie every year. I usually bake in November and freeze them.

Last year I simplified things because I had an 18 month old in the house, but here are pictures one of the baking days. I did half batches and had 2 baking days (this was the first one). It takes a bit of organization (doughs that need chilled are made first etc), but is so much easier to do all at once- to trash your kitchen, have oven hot, all items out etc. ;)

Items pictured have ** on list below. Hope that helps. :)

christmascookies2.jpg

christmascookies.jpg

-Green Mint Iced Brownies

-Mini Pecan Pies**

-Raspberry Jam Tartlets

-Chocolate Macaroon

-Reindeer Cookies**

-Chocolate Cherry Drops**

-Raisen/Walnut filled **

-Yuletide drops

-Grandmas Molasses cookie

-Pecan Meltaways

-Reeses peanut butter cup brownies

-Black/White chocolate dipped

-Peppermint Drops

Standards:

-Sugar cookie w/ red/green sprinkles**

-Gingerbread stars & angels**

-Peanut Butter w/ chocolate kiss**

-Snickerdoodles**

-Blackberry Thumbprints**

Laura

I love seeing what everyone does! I always have a couple of teenage girls come and stay the weekend with us for a marathon baking session. We generally pump out about 20 different kinds of cookies over the weekend. (while hubby plays video games with the little brothers)

I love having some girl time since we only have boys and the girls love learning to cook since their moms don't cook at all. It's all win-win. Plus, I get to send a bunch of cookies home with them. By the time we give some away to neighbors/friends, it leaves a workable amount for us to consume without being too piggy. :001_smile:

I must confess that the thought of baking 18 kinds of cookies makes me want to cry. I really don't enjoy baking cookies. My girls would think they were in heaven with a mom who wanted to bake this much.

Now I feel like I should make cookie plates for all the neighbors. I will have to count houses. Ack.

:iagree:

I must confess that the thought of baking 18 kinds of cookies makes me want to cry. I really don't enjoy baking cookies. My girls would think they were in heaven with a mom who wanted to bake this much.

Now I feel like I should make cookie plates for all the neighbors. I will have to count houses. Ack.

It's times like these that make me thankful there are only 5 houses on my street! :D