Menu

Delaware Hs'ers feel "left out"/H1N1 shots@PS

Came across this news article this morning...

Del. Homeschoolers Feel 'Left Out' by H1N1 Vaccine Program

FRANKFORD, Del.- As vaccinations for H1N1 are given out to elementary students across Delaware, some parents of homeschooled students say they feel left out.

Richard Scrivani of Frankford gets homework like most 14-year-olds, except his kitchen is also his classroom. Parents of the homeschooled student said they were upset when the Indian River School District denied their request to include Richard in the vaccination program.

"Every student, whether homeschooled or attending the school district, should be included in the program if it's intended to work," said father Lou Scrivani.

The school district said it had no choice but to deny the Scrivani's request, noting it must follow guidelines sent down by the state, district spokesman David Maull said.

On Monday, the Delaware Division of Public Health confirmed that homeschooled students cannot receive the vaccine through their home district. Division Director Dr. Karyl Rattay said she understands the frustration of homeschool parents, but said the state is focusing on public schools in an effort to vaccinate as many students as quickly as possible. Private schools are scheduled to receive the vaccine after public schools, but homeschoolers are not on the list, Rattay said.

Rattay said homeschooled students could probably get the vaccine faster through their primary doctor. If their doctor is out of doses or not participating in the program, more public clinics are expected in upcoming weeks, Rattay said.

"I feel that homeschoolers are being left out and that's incorrect," said Allison Scrivani, who says homeschooling her son is more than a fulltime job.

While some may think they're isolated from their peers, parents of homeschoolers argue homeschooled children are just as susceptible to transferring H1N1.

"They interact with other children on the block, they go to rec programs," said Lou Scrivani.

The Scrivani family isn't alone. Figures from the Delaware Department of Education show there are more than 2,500 homeschooled children in Delaware in 2009. The couple said they are not advocating for the vaccine, but they feel parents of homeschoolers should at least have the option.

Rattay said the state expects to vaccinate roughly 1,000 students across Delaware each day. Logistically speaking, she said it's a huge task and the state is trying to complete it as quickly as possible.

Wondered if any hs'ers in that state (or others) have tried doing their vaccines through the public schools and what kind of results you've had?

(and what people think - should hs'ers have the right to get their vaccine through the ps system when/if the state/city/etc chooses to do that?)

I guess there could be several different arguments for and against... we do choose to keep our kids out of the ps system, so should we have the right to take part in something like this through the same system that we've turned down for education? On the other hand, homeschoolers still pay taxes that are used, in part, for the ps system... and in many places, homeschoolers must register with/report to/etc boards, schools, and other ps-connected entities.

It's not something that's come up here yet, as the clinics have only been public ones -- nobody is getting vaccinated through schools/family docs/etc yet... there *are* provinces getting ready/starting to do that, but I haven't heard of anything where we are. (We went to the public clinic on the first day and got them done there)

Our county, in Pennsylvania, is giving out h1n1 vaccines over the next two weeks to the kids at school.

My son isn't old enough to register as a homeschooler, and when I called asking about whether the vaccines are available to hs-ers they said, "Didn't you receive the letter?" because the school district sent letters to all the registered homeschool families inviting them to come to the school for the free vaccines. I had heard about it through my youngest son's preschool--which is included in the vaccines.

The local private school will be busing their kids over to the local public high school for their vaccines and the homeschoolers will be given theirs on the same day as the private school, public high schoolers and homeschoolers. (The elementary and middle schools are being done the week earlier.)

They'll be giving out 2,000 shots to the kids with 16 being done at the same time in the school gym. The school nurse that I spoke to said that they're personally calling each homeschool family that filled out the vaccine approval forms, letting them know when and where to come for their vaccine. They were extremely helpful and polite to me.

Edited by Garga

Honestly, I think pushing to be included in a school run/funded vax program could open the door for them to mandate all HSers have to be vaxed( all vaccines) like PS schools do. If I wanted the h1n1 vax, I'd see my family dr.

I agree, except... in our state, DHEC controls the vaccines and some doctors will not receive them.

Honestly, I think pushing to be included in a school run/funded vax program could open the door for them to mandate all HSers have to be vaxed( all vaccines) like PS schools do. If I wanted the h1n1 vax, I'd see my family dr.

That's true, except in VA you have to be vaxed on the same schedule as PS anyway. And the school board can ask to see proof, though they usually don't.

I just love your avatar picture!!!!!!!

It seems like there are many public health initiatives that are administered through the schools and to which non public students do not have access. Audio screening, vision screening, scoliosis screening, floride treatment. These are just the programs that I remember encountering as a kid. If such programs are being offered to registered public school students, but not to private school and homeschoolers, then at least it is consistent.

One question would be where the funding for vacines was coming from. If it is a state program from the department of health, then it probably should be open to all at risk populations. If it is being funded throught the department of education, then I can see how it might not be offered to non public students.

If the case is that private school students are also being vacinated, then it seems that the risk group is based on age, not school choice and it should be offered to homeschoolers too.

But I also agree that some folks would then object if they were required to vacinate, regardless of school choice.

There is also a school lunch program for low income students that is not available to homeschoolers. I don't see that homeschoolers are asking for subsidies on their lunchtime soup and sandwiches.