Menu

Do you think men can "catch" PMS?

You know how women who live together tend to synchronize cycles? Well, do you think a man's hormones be influenced by his wife's hormones? Whenever my husband and I fight I get my period the next day. I know that I get moody but I don't think it's all my fault, and I wonder if it's him just responding badly to my moodiness or if his hormones are actually changing because of mine. I also wonder if our children, male or female, can be directly influenced by our hormones. Any opinions on this?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

My guess is that they simply feed off our bad mood and general orneriness. :D

Hey, I looked it up! Orneriness is actually a word! :lol:

I have heard that men go through a monthly cycle as well, with their moods and chemistry levels. But I'm not sure where I heard that, so it may not be accurate.

However, it is also true that a huge percentage of communication is through body-language. And when I'm in a bad mood, no matter how much I try to control it in which words I say and what tone I use, I'm sure that my bad mood body-language is leaking out and affecting everyone around me.

I've also found that kid behavior that normally doesn't bother me, suddenly seems out of control and unacceptable when I'm in a bad mood. It's not that the kids are really acting worse, it's that I'm feeling more bothered about it.

I just sort of think that when we're in a bad mood, it colors our interpretation of everything about us. Instead of letting our husband's frowny face go, we ask him about it, "What are you frowning about?" and then we have an argument and then we think, "Well, he must have PMS because he WAS frowning after all!"

Wow. It sounds like I'm totally belittling women and their moods here. The only reason I write this is because when I started acknowledging my own bad mood, I could deal with the things my family did (that annoyed me) without letting my mood spiral out of control.

It is my understanding that PMS is caused by a drop in estrogen and a rise in progesteron. Progesteron acts much like testostorone for women. Men always have relatively high levels of testostorone and very low levels of estrogen, so according to my reasoning men have the equivilant of PMS all the time. :tongue_smilie:

Men always have relatively high levels of testostorone and very low levels of estrogen, so according to my reasoning men have the equivilant of PMS all the time. :tongue_smilie:

I agree! I have told my husband for years that for a few days a month, I act like a man!!!

You know how women who live together tend to synchronize cycles? Well, do you think a man's hormones be influenced by his wife's hormones? Whenever my husband and I fight I get my period the next day. I know that I get moody but I don't think it's all my fault, and I wonder if it's him just responding badly to my moodiness or if his hormones are actually changing because of mine. I also wonder if our children, male or female, can be directly influenced by our hormones. Any opinions on this?

Yes. It's a little know fact that it's actually men who get irrational and irritable every month, and we just blame the histrionics on women.

Shhhh! Don't tell :lol:

Bill (who is in deep trouble :tongue_smilie:)