Menu

Which latin curriculum has the best English grammar instruction?

NoPlaceLikeHome

I have been looking at Latin for Children, Lively Latin, and Latina Christiana or Prima Latina for my ds who is a quick learner and reads at about an 8th grade level.

I prefer a Latin program that is the best for teaching English grammar in addition to a meaty Latin curiculum. I also prefer not having to wade through pages and pages of teacher's manuals as well and DVDs are a plus:) Writing is not a problem as well for my ds.

I am open to suggestions:)

I appreciate any help.

We are doing Lively Latin and it covers a good amount of grammar. It does declensions and cases, we have gotten through the second declension neuter and we always learn the endings in all the cases. The explanations are very easy to understand for us. Besides the obvious nouns and verbs we also learned about the predicate nominative and the past imperfect tense before we got to them in FLL 3.

There is no teacher's manual, no DVD either but there is audio on the website to go with each vocabulary to learn pronunciation. I have no previous Latin knowledge and have had no problems with teaching this.

For an 8th grader I would start with at least LC1 . Prima Latina is great for children beginning Latin in about 2nd to 5th or 6th grades.

LC 1 contains grammar instruction and DVD that gives clear instruction. The first two chapters are a review and then after that you get down to the nitty gritty of conjugating verbs , and declension of nouns and so on. The manual has clear instruction and if you need more helps they have them on Memoria's website.

Even better you could probably start with the First Form Latin. It maybe be a bit more age appropriate. Though if you want to take the laid back relaxed approach to Latin you could start with LC 1. I mean I'm 33 and am learning a lot from it myself.

The teacher's manual is easy to use and set up very nicely. No need to dig around for what you want or need to teach. Its all there right in front of you.

I can't comment on other Latin programs as I have always used the Latina Christiana series ( minus Song School Latin for K-1st with my third daughter) for my older two girls. I have been happy with the program as long as I use the DVD along with it.

Okay then well probably I would go with Prima Latina or LC 1. I would say take a look at it yourself because to me I think LC1 would be stretching it. My 5th grader and 4th grader are challenged by it, and they are 11 and 10. Personally it doesn't matter what their reading level is. You want learning a new language to be enjoyable. He may of grasped the English language well and is working at a 3rd to 5th grade level and reading at an 8th grade level in English , but he's not at that level in Latin. LOL. Personally I would go with PL. The Memoria Press Latin series builds on itself. Really I see that starting with PL would benefit him as LC goes rather quickly assuming your student is older or has already used PL first. Even LC 1 has stumped me a few times and I'm 33yrs old( and trust me I read at a MUCH higher grade level than your son). :>) LOL.

As for the LC series being the best I'm not sure. But it sure does the job.

Edited by TracyR

On Don Potter's Latin page, I enjoyed First Steps in Latin for myself, it's on the Latin for Dummies side of things, which I decided I needed!

We just started Prima Latina for my 7 year old who is reading very well, that's working great so far. I also have Latina Christiana, I thought that would be find given her reading skills and how well she has been doing learning Spanish, but she needed something simpler. We're working through it fairly fast, though.

Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning heavily toward Lively Latin. I am wondering though if they have fixed the errata yet. It is such a tough decision:(

I also think that Latin for Children and Latina Christiana or LP looks interesting as well. I got the impression that the Latin Road for Grammar was for older children as well but it did seem interesting.

Oh, decisions, decisions;)

We used LfC A last year and are using LfC B this year. The chants are great and we have learned a great amount of vocabulary. I feel that it is a little lacking in grammar and felt we needed some additional practice.

I found a Latin grammar workbook that we are using this year. If I would have known about it sooner, we would have started using it half way through LfC A. http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=latin+practice+exercises+level+1+&search=search This book is published by Galore Park and there are 3 levels. Most of the vocabulary in level 1 is covered in LfC A which makes it very compatible.

I seem to be in the minority, but I think LfC has a huge amount of grammar in it. Gosh, it seemed like we learned many concepts first in Latin and then covered it a year later in our English program! (The Predicate Nominative pops immediately into my head!) The teacher's manual is nil -- it's really just an answer key. It has DVDs.

We are doing Lively Latin...

There is no teacher's manual, no DVD either but there is audio on the website to go with each vocabulary to learn pronunciation. I have no previous Latin knowledge and have had no problems with teaching this.

We download the sound files and listen to them on our iPod any time we want to practice. As the pp said, it covers English and Latin grammar very thoroughly.

We started with Prima Latina for my boys & LC1 for dd 3 years ago. We made it through about 7 chapters. We found it b-o-r-i-n-g. Each week was just more of the same. Grammar I found was not well explained. If your dc likes memorizing & repeating back info., then this may be the program for you.

Last year I decided we'd give Latin one more try. I put each dc on a different program & am really pleased with each.

dd is using So You Really Want to Learn Latin. She's almost through book 1 & is using the Practice Exercises work book put out by Galore Park along with this. We have book 2 ready & waiting for her & she likes Latin so much that she's planning on taking her Latin studies with her when she moves to uni in February.

ds#1 is using Latin Prep 1. It's going OK & is really the best program for him. It's interesting enough that getting him to complete the lessons isn't like pulling teeth on a daily basis. This dc just isn't a language person.

ds#2 is using Lively Latin. This is my favorite of the 5 Latin programs I've used. He has just began chapter 2 of Lively Latin 2. I'm amazed at how much he's learned & without a lot of drama. Lively Latin has a CM approach IMHO. You get to attack the study of Latin in babysteps giving a good chance at success. Because each days work is different from the previous, it hasn't gotten boring. Ds#2 has learned tons of English grammar, lots of Latin grammar, derivitives, classical history, art appreciation, geography, etc. All this by giving Latin 20-30 minutes effort each day! Ds#2 does most of his work independently (maths, science, penmanship, history, etc.) but Latin we do together. I don't plan lessons out ahead, we just do the next day's work, be it a grammar lesson or a history reading or a word study page, etc. When ds#2 finishes LL2 mid-2010 I plan on having him go quickly through Latin Prep 1&2. He should be able to do those books independently as much of the info will be review. Then I'll have him go through Latin Prep 3 & So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 more slowly. This will put him more than ready to do Latin for highschool credit here in NZ.

JMHO,

We started with Prima Latina for my boys & LC1 for dd 3 years ago. We made it through about 7 chapters. We found it b-o-r-i-n-g. Each week was just more of the same. Grammar I found was not well explained.

JMHO,

Deb, did you use the DVD with the PL program? There isn't a whole lot of grammar in the PL program. There is some and its still pretty simple , nouns, pronouns, verbs. etc.

LC 1 is when it gets down to the nitty gritty of the grammar and the DVD's have the bulk of the grammar instruction in them. The manuals have minimal grammar instruction, but the DVD is what makes the difference.

I'm sure the program wasn't a great fit but I see many people who say what you have said but they were just using the CD and not the DVD program. The DVD actually makes the program more enjoyable to use actually. Without it I most likely would have dropped the program after 7 lessons too. LOL. :D

We started with Prima Latina for my boys & LC1 for dd 3 years ago. We made it through about 7 chapters. We found it b-o-r-i-n-g. Each week was just more of the same. Grammar I found was not well explained. If your dc likes memorizing & repeating back info., then this may be the program for you.

Last year I decided we'd give Latin one more try. I put each dc on a different program & am really pleased with each.

dd is using So You Really Want to Learn Latin. She's almost through book 1 & is using the Practice Exercises work book put out by Galore Park along with this. We have book 2 ready & waiting for her & she likes Latin so much that she's planning on taking her Latin studies with her when she moves to uni in February.

ds#1 is using Latin Prep 1. It's going OK & is really the best program for him. It's interesting enough that getting him to complete the lessons isn't like pulling teeth on a daily basis. This dc just isn't a language person.

ds#2 is using Lively Latin. This is my favorite of the 5 Latin programs I've used. He has just began chapter 2 of Lively Latin 2. I'm amazed at how much he's learned & without a lot of drama. Lively Latin has a CM approach IMHO. You get to attack the study of Latin in babysteps giving a good chance at success. Because each days work is different from the previous, it hasn't gotten boring. Ds#2 has learned tons of English grammar, lots of Latin grammar, derivitives, classical history, art appreciation, geography, etc. All this by giving Latin 20-30 minutes effort each day! Ds#2 does most of his work independently (maths, science, penmanship, history, etc.) but Latin we do together. I don't plan lessons out ahead, we just do the next day's work, be it a grammar lesson or a history reading or a word study page, etc. When ds#2 finishes LL2 mid-2010 I plan on having him go quickly through Latin Prep 1&2. He should be able to do those books independently as much of the info will be review. Then I'll have him go through Latin Prep 3 & So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 more slowly. This will put him more than ready to do Latin for highschool credit here in NZ.

JMHO,

I thought "So You really Want to Learn Latin" was Latin Prep? I better go look again:)

Have you found many mistakes in Lively Latin? Have they made the corrections of the errata mentioned on their website?

just the workbooks, teacher manuals, & audio cds. Dd was using LC1 & my boys were using PL, so we were using both at the same time. I really found the audio cds more of a turn-off because of the extremely strong southern accent.

Lively Latin & the Galore Park Latin books are more interesting & enjoyable IMHO.

Deb, did you use the DVD with the PL program? There isn't a whole lot of grammar in the PL program. There is some and its still pretty simple , nouns, pronouns, verbs. etc.

LC 1 is when it gets down to the nitty gritty of the grammar and the DVD's have the bulk of the grammar instruction in them. The manuals have minimal grammar instruction, but the DVD is what makes the difference.

I'm sure the program wasn't a great fit but I see many people who say what you have said but they were just using the CD and not the DVD program. The DVD actually makes the program more enjoyable to use actually. Without it I most likely would have dropped the program after 7 lessons too. LOL. :D

I am still considering LC for my ds as well especially since they offer DVDs:) Would young boys enjoy the DVDs? Have you used Latin for Children? I am considering that as well;).

I am afraid that I am finding this a difficult decision for me:)

highschool version of Latin Prep. It moves a bit quicker than Latin Prep. LP 1-3 covers about the same amount of material as SYRWTL Latin 1-2. For your 7yos I would suggest Latin Prep, rather than SYRWTL Latin if you want to use the Galore Park books, but most feel age 9 is a better age to start LP. Lively Latin would be my first choice for latin with a child younger than 10yo, no matter their reading ability. Sometimes maturity has more to do with success or lack of success than reading ability. I haven't been put off from the very few mistakes I've found. All curriculums will have some mistakes as none of us are perfect. The author of LL is very approachable & answers email inquiries very quickly. She is very committed to making learning Latin a positive & fun experience for children.

JMHO,

highschool version of Latin Prep. It moves a bit quicker than Latin Prep. LP 1-3 covers about the same amount of material as SYRWTL Latin 1-2. For your 7yos I would suggest Latin Prep, rather than SYRWTL Latin if you want to use the Galore Park books, but most feel age 9 is a better age to start LP. Lively Latin would be my first choice for latin with a child younger than 10yo, no matter their reading ability. Sometimes maturity has more to do with success or lack of success than reading ability. I haven't been put off from the very few mistakes I've found. All curriculums will have some mistakes as none of us are perfect. The author of LL is very approachable & answers email inquiries very quickly. She is very committed to making learning Latin a positive & fun experience for children.

JMHO,

That makes me feel better. I was just a little concerned since it seemed that the website may not be up to date. I appreciate the info:)

To clarify, my ds is 7 who reads at about an 8th grade level and writes fairly easily. So I am looking for a program that would appeal to a 7 year old who is probably capable of 3rd-5th grade work;)

This describes my ds exactly. We started when he was 6.5, and we weren't as consistent with it in the beginning but it is becoming one of his favorite subjects so we will finish soon. It is quite easy for him, but that is OK, though I am deciding between going onto LL2 or jumping into Latin Prep which seems like it would be quite a bit more challenging. Since we wanted a secular option I did not consider Latina Christina so I am not familiar with the program. But to start out with I don't think you can go wrong with Lively Latin. I haven't really been bothered by any errors, I think we noticed a few but it isn't significant.

have ds#2 do Lively Latin 2 after finishing Lively Latin 1 as he really likes the style of Lively Latin. Latin Prep is more of a jr. hi type book. The first couple chapters in Latin Prep are fairly easy, but after that new concepts are introduced a lot quicker than Lively Latin. And the translations in Latin Prep are a lot harder & longer than those in Lively Latin.

JMHO,

Latin prep look very good, but it is a little bit expensive. Does anyone know where to get it on the cheap including the CD?;)

The difficulty ramps up fast and the passages to translate become quite intricate. If you want to get a feel of where you are by the end of the first book, look at the sample from book 2 on the website.

It's a great programme for later on though. I have just started using it with Hobbes (9) and am still using it with Calvin (almost 13).

Laura

I seem to be in the minority, but I think LfC has a huge amount of grammar in it. Gosh, it seemed like we learned many concepts first in Latin and then covered it a year later in our English program! (The Predicate Nominative pops immediately into my head!) The teacher's manual is nil -- it's really just an answer key. It has DVDs.

I agree with you Heather! Though I am doing LfC A with a 5th grader, still we hit predicate nominative in Latin, the week before we got it in FLL 4. :)