Menu

Could H1N1 be really mild?

Hubby thought he had the flu on Wed. night. He had a sore throat, mild cough, mild to moderate aching of muscles, mild fatigue. No fever. When he didn't get worse I decided maybe it wasn't flu at all.

Then yesterday evening we got a call from the family he spent hours with Sunday night and all they had test/swab confirmed influenza by Tuesday. So I presume he was exposed to the flu.

He never did get a fever and never had any nasal involvement or feeling wiped out like I associate with the flu. He feels ok now two days later though his cough is a little more frequent and he still has some mild aches.

I think his vitamin D levels are good because he's been taking 10,000 IU for at least a month and 5,000 IU most days prior to that. He drinks a lot of green tea and takes probiotics regularly. I gave him extra vitamin D (60,000 IU), garlic, extra probiotics, colostrum, Quercetin, and vitamin C Wed. night and every day since. My point is his immune system may have been primed to suppress it.

Do you think h1n1 be that mild or do you think it was likely not it at all?

The family he got it from has a variety of symptoms but I think all infected are much sicker than my husband, except maybe one.

Edited by sbgrace

We have had it range from 2 days to almost 2 weeks in our family. Five out of seven of us have had it, one serious enough to go to the ER, the rest not quite as bad. The dd who only had it 2 days tends to be really healthy. When she had her wisdom teeth out and had to go back for a check, they said they had never seen anyone heal so fast. She eats well and takes several supplements. But then my 10 yr old who eats terrible only had it for 4 days....who really knows?

I was wondering the exact same thing! Dc had a terrible case of it all this week (one dc had it worse than the other). For part of the week, I had a mild dry cough that got worse at night but still mild, very mild head congestion, mild sore throat, and was more tired than usual, but no fever or aches. But totally able to function well. I'm wondering if I had it! It would have been a miracle to completely NOT get it, being in the house for 6 days in very close contact with very ill kids. But I do take 6,000 IU of D per day! And as soon as the kids were sick I upped my C dosage, started drinking apple cider vinegar and raw honey, and echinacea tea.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more info!

Edited by HappyGrace

But I have heard that it is either mild or really bad with nothing in between.

I was talking to a principal at a local high school earlier this year. He was being told it presents with a very low fever like 99/100.

So with what I've read and heard, I'd say yes, it can be mild. But like I said on the title, I can't site a source.

My 12 yr old dd has spent the last 5 days with a sore throat, sneezing, coughing, congestion, and a low grade fever. 7 yr old dd has had a mild sore throat for last couple of days, but then last night out of nowhere, began shivering and teeth chattering in her sleep. I thought my 12 yr old just had a good old cold~she ALWAYS begins every every cold this way and symtoms were pretty mild~but now I am beginning to wonder. Have just never heard of a cold beginning with spiking a fever like 7 yr old did. She now has congestion as well. It would be great if this were the flu and we could be DONE with all of the "do we, don't we....." concerning vaccine and the worry of the outcome if we don't!!!!! Guess they could have two seperate issues, but IMO, it is unlikely. :001_huh:

Editing to say that 12 yr old dd has been taking Master Cleanse (lots of HOT veggies fermented in raw ACV) RELIGIOUSLY and cod liver oil. 7 yr old takes a multi-vit (both are also taking vit d) but cannot stomach MC or CLO unless in softgel form, which we are out of!!

Edited by luvbnhome2

I have a homeschool family that we are friends with that had it about 1-2 weeks ago. She said they all had a mild case, except her 16 month old, who didn't catch it all. She said the girls (3 1/2 and 6 1/2) weren't even sick enough to lay around moaning and not fight.

They do take a generous amounts of Vitamin D supplements. The mom swears it's the reason they had such a mild case.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Yes. DS6 (patient zero) had a very mild case (no fever, mild discomfort, little cough). DD5 had a moderate case (102 fever 48 hours with all that goes with that, dry cough for 2 weeks). DS3 had same as DD5 but with very worrisome wet cough for 2 weeks and dry for a while after that (probably from irritation). DH and I avoided it entirely, as we were pretty careful.

Now I think I have it (3.5 weeks later) and it is so not mild for me! And I'm very angry, as the little girl who lives across the street came over and played with the kids for an hour last Friday night and when she came back on Saturday to play again, had a heinous wet cough and looked terrible. When I told her that if she was sick, she needed to go home, she said it was OK because she's been taking medicine for the flu and had actually been sick the night before too but man, doesn't that medicine work great.

I know that thread has been done but you have GOT to be KIDDING ME that her parents let her come over here sick! :mad:

A month ago, we had what the doctor suspected was swine flu. Very mild cases. 4/6 of us had dry hacking coughs that turned into wet coughs, body aches, chills, sweats, fatigue. Only one got a fever. The cough lasted for 2 weeks. Actual feeling sick was only 3 - 5 days.

This past week, we are sick again (see my other thread). Three of my kids were/are VERY sick. Really, very sick. Lying on the bed/couch, sleeping, feverish, body achey, headachey, halucinating, croupy cough kind of sick.

Dd just got over it - she was 6 days with fever. She's still very tired/pale with secondary infections - ear and bronchitis. DS 13 was in the ER yesterday because he couldn't get a good breath. He's still down for the count on day 4. Ds 11 has a very mild case, but is on day 3 of fever. Ds9 is also down for the count. He's not gotten off the couch for 4 days except to go to the bathroom. He's my kid with asthma, so I'm treating him with all his emergency meds. He just got the terrible cough today.

I don't know which of these was actually swine flu, or if either of them was. But, I swear, I don't remember my kids EVER being this sick (with the exception of the 11 yo - he's been sicker).

I've read that it can be very mild. But, there was a thread here a little bit ago about a doctor that had swine flu twice - the second one being the worst. Kinda' makes me wonder . . .

Oh - and it makes me wonder - we were in Mexico in January. The week we came home, two of my kids came down with a bug - fever, cough, headache, etc - that lasted a week. THEN, a month later, we heard about swine flu.

Weird.

I just had this conversation with the boys' pediatric neurologist this week! He recommended the vaccine because some kids who have died had underlying neurological issues. I mentioned that we might have had it in September and described the extremely mild fluish symptoms we'd had. His response was that it was very likely to have been H1N1 because of feeling feverish with no fever and one son's stomach involvement. He said that basically any flu-like illness in Sept. or early Oct. was highly likely to be H1N1 because that was the dominant strain in Houston at that time. In the end, he said not to bother with the vaccine, so he must have been sure that it was H1N1.