Menu

If you use CLE Math for younger grades, do you supplement something else, also?

smilesonly

Wow! Thanks, Ladies!

Wendi-that is weird that you mention CTP's Math Detective! I've been stewing over whether or not to use their Math B as a core-or CLE as the core, and supplement with CTP's math!:lol:

I have taken myself to tears over the last few days, as I've tried to come up with a new math curriculum, that will help ds, satisfy dh(math whiz), and not lead me to tears! I have looked at so many math curricula, that I am dizzy! I don't have the time to take Math 101, just to teach our 8yo ds, yk? Yet I have this overwhelming responsibility to get this right!

Thanks for your input!:)

My ds has used 1st, 2nd and now third and I'm not supplementing.

Linda,

God Bless you!!!

I see you are hsing so many different levels! Is there a reason why your dc don't all use the same math curriculum? Is it b'c of their differing learning styles?

Sorry to be nosy-I just noticed this, and had to ask!:o

Thanks,

Smiles

:)

Linda,

God Bless you!!!

I see you are hsing so many different levels! Is there a reason why your dc don't all use the same math curriculum? Is it b'c of their differing learning styles?

Sorry to be nosy-I just noticed this, and had to ask!:o

Thanks,

Smiles

:)

Not being nosey at all. I was going to mention that I use two different programs with different dc.

First let me say that after using many math programs (Rays, R&S, Singapore, Miquon, MUS, just to name a few) I found CLE & Math Mammoth to be my favorite.

1st child-My oldest ds needs a more mastery approach and CLE had too much going on for him.

2nd child-My dd enjoyed Singapore but we were running into some problems so Math Mammoth seemed the way to go since they are some-what similar.

3rd child-actually used CLE 1st in 4 months. Instead of having him in the same math as my 2nd child (they would have been in the same grade too) I decided to have him use MM because my 2nd dc is pretty competitive and feels like he is in a race with his brother since they are on the same level in other subjects too.

4th child-Since I can print off the workbooks from Math Mammoth I just decided to use it with him too.

And there you have it :D

Not being nosey at all. I was going to mention that I use two different programs with different dc.

First let me say that after using many math programs (Rays, R&S, Singapore, Miquon, MUS, just to name a few) I found CLE & Math Mammoth to be my favorite.

1st child-My oldest ds needs a more mastery approach and CLE had too much going on for him.

2nd child-My dd enjoyed Singapore but we were running into some problems so Math Mammoth seemed the way to go since they are some-what similar.

3rd child-actually used CLE 1st in 4 months. Instead of having him in the same math as my 2nd child (they would have been in the same grade too) I decided to have him use MM because my 2nd dc is pretty competitive and feels like he is in a race with his brother since they are on the same level in other subjects too.

4th child-Since I can print off the workbooks from Math Mammoth I just decided to use it with him too.

And there you have it :D

Thanks so much for sharing! Dh said he was going to download MM-but didn't want to use it as our math spine. Who knows what I'll be doing in four months, yk? You are awesome to do what it takes to meet your dc's needs!!

Smiles

We don't supplement.:)

I think if I were only using CLE, I would find it to be an exceptional math program. However, I am using Singapore with my mathy son. I love the mental math part, and wanted to incorporate that into my dd's math program. That is the ONLY reason I have decided to supplement. I honestly feel that a kid going through CLE math will be solidly grounded in math. It truly is wonderful and requires the student to figure out things. Again, we love it here.

My dd8 is completing CLE grade one and we supplement with selected pages from math mammoth. Most dc may be ok with just CLE but my dd needs a bit of extra practice sometimes...

Am i understanding you correctly here? You supplement w/MM to get more practice, and not to provide added conceptual math understanding?

Thanks for any clarification!:)

Thanks so much for sharing! Dh said he was going to download MM-but didn't want to use it as our math spine. Who knows what I'll be doing in four months, yk? You are awesome to do what it takes to meet your dc's needs!!

Smiles

The Light Blue is a complete curriculum and that is the one we are using. You can download from he green & yellow series but they are not a 'complete' curriculum.

I wasn't too sure about MM myself at first but now that I own 1st-4th of the Blue Series (complete curriculum) I see that it covers a lot. I like to say it's a bit of MUS, Singapore & Traditional all put together. MUS in the sense that it uses manipulative's. Not actual physical blocks but illustrations (my ds didn't like the MUS blocks). It's similar to Singapore and some-what traditional because it does cover different concepts through out the year.

I also own all of the Singapore CWP & IP so if I need more we have it.

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you find one that works for you. There is so much out there :001_unsure:

Am i understanding you correctly here? You supplement w/MM to get more practice, and not to provide added conceptual math understanding?

Thanks for any clarification!:)

Hi

That's an interesting question !

I tell my dd we are getting out the math mammoth for extra practice :) but really I am so impressed with the way math mammoth teaches addition/ subtraction with the visuals, number lines and lots of fact family practice (is that what it is called ?) that I think she will be really getting her understanding of these facts from MM.

We are working our way through the MM subtraction/ addition workbooks in addition to CLE math grade one. (Not the "light blue" complete curriculum books.)

I am wondering whether CLE is a little bit more on the "memorize and drill" style when it comes to addition/ subtraction ? My daughter really needed visuals with subtraction in particular and she got that with MM. But then I am so new in CLE that I am hestiant in putting forward an opinion.

Anyway, my dd8, who really dislikes and struggles with math, is actually enjoying CLE. It is such a relief. If there had been less tears with MM we would have used it more extensively but this MM + CLE is a good combination for us now.

And again, I am a novice... these are purely my impressions at this early stage of using this curriculum.

The Light Blue is a complete curriculum and that is the one we are using. You can download from he green & yellow series but they are not a 'complete' curriculum.

I wasn't too sure about MM myself at first but now that I own 1st-4th of the Blue Series (complete curriculum) I see that it covers a lot. I like to say it's a bit of MUS, Singapore & Traditional all put together. MUS in the sense that it uses manipulative's. Not actual physical blocks but illustrations (my ds didn't like the MUS blocks). It's similar to Singapore and some-what traditional because it does cover different concepts through out the year.

I also own all of the Singapore CWP & IP so if I need more we have it.

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you find one that works for you. There is so much out there :001_unsure:

OMGsh, Linda! Thank you so much for clarifying this! I *get* it now!:lol: This ds doesn't like manipulatives, either, yet is VERY visual. So, from what I am seeing and now "hearing", MM relies on pictorials for replacement of hands on. (?)

I love how you describe this program!;)

Hi

That's an interesting question !

I tell my dd we are getting out the math mammoth for extra practice :) but really I am so impressed with the way math mammoth teaches addition/ subtraction with the visuals, number lines and lots of fact family practice (is that what it is called ?) that I think she will be really getting her understanding of these facts from MM.

We are working our way through the MM subtraction/ addition workbooks in addition to CLE math grade one. (Not the "light blue" complete curriculum books.)

I am wondering whether CLE is a little bit more on the "memorize and drill" style when it comes to addition/ subtraction ? My daughter really needed visuals with subtraction in particular and she got that with MM. But then I am so new in CLE that I am hestiant in putting forward an opinion.

Anyway, my dd8, who really dislikes and struggles with math, is actually enjoying CLE. It is such a relief. If there had been less tears with MM we would have used it more extensively but this MM + CLE is a good combination for us now.

And again, I am a novice... these are purely my impressions at this early stage of using this curriculum.

Hi Jane,

I'm not sure either regarding the drill. My experience has only been with the higher levels-which are waay above the average grade.

I appreciate your clarifying, as our ds is also visual, yet hates the drill.

Thank you!

No supplementing here either. We pulled from ps 3rd grade, used Singapore and didn't get it, then moved to CLE. Because of the moving around to different styles I did notice a gap here and there that I just pulled a few pages out of a workbook as a refresher. But my dd finally likes to do her math! She's in 300 and cookin' through 2 lessons a day in the hopes that we will be through 300 and 400 this year and into 500 when she hits 5th grade next fall. But even if she's not, I'm fine with that as the scope and sequence of CLE is far above ps so she's not "behind". I also own the Singapore Challenging Word Problems that I might try on her as she progresses, but if they seem too different from what she is used to in CLE I'll sell them and not worry about it. She's not mathy and I don't want to mess up what's going right!

We are loving it!