Menu

Family Vacation Ideas

DH & I have always taken sight-seeing vacations which involve lots of driving. Which does NOT work with kids...

So, we need some ideas that DO work with kids. Besides the Disney stuff, which we're looking at. We can't do that EVERY year though....

Thanks!

Cruise? If you spend some time looking, you can find some around $50 per person per day, which includes all food & entertainment. Most of the bigger "brands" have great kids' programs, and if you go someplace warm there's plenty of pool/beach time. You can sightsee at all kinds of places without doing the driving.

What about a Disney cruise? We are taking a real family vacation for the first time in FOREVER. You know, the kind where you don't have to drive forever to visit relatives you don't really like. We debated where to go and settled on a 4-night Disney cruise to the Bahamas. It really is not as expensive as it sounds.

We're hoping to take an Amtrak trip next summer -- all nine of us! From Seattle to Chicago -- a 2-day trip. We won't be getting sleeper cars; just sleeping as we go (someone told us if you get seats on the lower level there are benches you can stretch out on there if you need to; kid-wise). Have you looked into Amtrak? It think it sounds so fun!

We like to rent a house with a pool in a different location. We've done Amelia Island, Fl. several times. We pick an activity to do for the day.....hiking, horse back riding on the beach, etc. The kids of course are on vacation just with the pool and the beach. :001_smile: Just having a full kitchen makes it so much easier with kids.

We also like New Braunsfel, Texas with day excursions into San Antonio.

My grandparents would always take all of us grandkids up to Minnesota and rent a cabin on the lake every year. We loved it! We could rent a boat, splash in the lake, go on nature hikes in the woods, sit on the beach and read. Loved it.

Besides Disney, my kids favorite vacations are the couple that we have done to a cabin on a lake or river. They love the adventure of the cabin, the bbq and fire pit for marshmallows, the other kids usually around (if it's a group of cabins), and I love my own bathroom and a/c.

This summer we rented one on a lovely local river that had a terrific swimming hole. The kids and their dad hiked way up the river looking for and catching with a net little fish and frogs and salamanders (while I stayed behind a read a book). In the evening we'd go out and watch the bats fly low over the water to catch bugs. We hiked and explored a ton, and slept like logs at night. It was a great vacation and really quite cheap.

We rent a house on Tybee Island for a week every summer. It's great to wear bathing suits and flip flops for six days.

We've also enjoyed staying in cabins at Norris Lake, TN and renting a pontoon boat to tool around the lake. Camping in the Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone and the Black Hills was a big hit.

Hi,

Very interesting forum, but I think buenisimas ideas "like" the most ideal would be to rent a house to spend a nice holiday addition is the most ideal one feels more comfortable.

A hug.

With our kids, we've found the thumbprint method of travel to be the most enjoyable and relaxing. The basic idea is that you find a condo or house to rent for a week that has lots of things to see and do within a radius of no more than 1-2 hours.

Our kids are actually easier to parent when we are on the go. It's when we are just hanging out with nothing planned that they start causing mischief and annoying each other.

We have used the thumbprint method successfully in England, France, and Virginia and somewhat less successfully in Costa Rica.

Our kids' favorite vacation (right up there with Disney) is definitely a cruise. There are activities for them, different places to see, and lots of food. :001_smile:

We try to go camping 3-4 times a year in interesting places, and then eitiher go to Disney or on a cruise for our "big" vacation. We also go to Florida a couple of times a year to visit family, but that is NO vacation!