Menu

Made in China??? What do you do about this?

When it comes to products Made in China  

1. 1. When it comes to products Made in China

• I refuse to buy ANYTHING made in China
    • I try not to buy stuff made in China
    • I buy stuff that has been made in China, but would rather not
    • What's the big woop about stuff made in China?
    • Obligatory other

Are we too rigid?

I don't think its about rigidity, not for us, anyway. Its more about ethics; the labor practices in China, unfair wages paid to the people who worked so hard to make the products, and joblessness in America due to outsourcing to China.

Naturally, there is a conundrum for "little guy" in America trying to compete with the costs and taxes of building his own in the states vs the ultra cheap similar product made by laborers in another country. Makes it difficult for a lot of Americans to be industrious.

Its really hard not to buy some stuff from China (due mostly to the above mentioned conundrum and ultimate lack of American made products), but we try really hard. Food in any way, shape or form is an undeniable no-no here, though.

We avoid buying products made in China when we can. But it's difficult to find things like toasters, dolls, electronics, purses (to name a few....) that are not made in China. I spent months looking for a toaster not made in China. I eventually found one, but it was ridiculously expensive. So we bought a Chinese made one....

Most reasonably priced purses are made in China. For that matter, even some of the higher-priced designer lines---Michael Kors, Dooney and Bourke, Coach, even, are manufacturing in China. Crazy.

And dolls. Most dolls are now made in China . One of the few doll companies that hasn't moved their manufacturing to China is Kathe Kruse of Germany. They are pricey, but so is American Girl, and AG's dolls are made in China, for pete's sake!

I do read labels. I never (knowingly) buy food made in China. Weirdly enough, I found out my local supermarket's organic label canned beans were made in China. Found out after I bought several cans and opened them up to make soup :glare:.

There are many reasons I try to avoid the "made in China" label---concerns of safety and human rights violations being just two of them. But, it's very hard to go completely "China-free." So, we aren't.

Edited by Imprimis

Unfortunately, I have to stretch my dollar as much as I can so that means buying the cheapest I can which frequently means from China. However, we also regularly buy second hand which quite often are products not from China because they don't last as long. So we are recycling, contributing less to landfills and often buying local. Good deal all around.

We don't have a choice on electronics - computers and cell phones simply aren't made anywhere else now. For everything else, unless We're in an emergency (we had to get some stuff during a funeral, for example), we simply won't buy it if it is made there. We will find an alternative, or wait until we can. This means forgoing many things we "want".

It has actually been a good cost saver in that it has forced us to really examine how much we really "want" some items.

a

I bet many things made in USA are made of imported materials.

Unfortunately, this is nearly unavoidable. So many of our American companies were bought out (or sold out) to China, that it is nearly impossible to buy components that are soley American made.

Take metal for example, which is necessary in so many products. Dh manufactures a product comprised entirely of metals (aluminum and stainless steel). A few years ago, he purchased his raw materials for one part of his product from an American company, lasered out the pieces and sent them off to be "hardened". When the parts came out of the oven, they were still too soft to be used for the intended purpose, eventhough the metal in question was the exact grade that should have been able to accept the hardening process. Through much investigation, he discovered that all but 2 American foundries sold to China, so the metal is being processed in China, but sent back to the American companies, mislabled, for sale to manufacturers. The problem occurs with the processing of the metal and the ultimate lack of quality control, so while the metal is being sold as a certain grade, when it gets melted and reformed into billets or rods or sheets in the Chinese foundries, often times the metals are combined with a lesser grade of metal, or mixed with contaminates, producing a compromised product. This metal, obviously, is more affordable for manufacturers to purchase, but ultimately results in either a serious loss of investment (in dh's case) or a compromised end product. :glare:

Are we the only ones who are no longer (to the best of our abilities) buying products made in China? Are we too rigid?

Certainly not, and doubtfully so - in that order :)

Do you have a rule of thumb about this? Or is it not a concern with you?

I do not, and not really (it isn't). It's on the radar, but it's not yet a pressing concern for us.

We avoid buying products made in China when we can. But it's difficult to find things like toasters, dolls, electronics, purses (to name a few....) that are not made in China. I spent months looking for a toaster not made in China. I eventually found one, but it was ridiculously expensive. So we bought a Chinese made one....

Most reasonably priced purses are made in China. For that matter, even some of the higher-priced designer lines---Michael Kors, Dooney and Bourke, Coach, even, are manufacturing in China. Crazy.

And dolls. Most dolls are now made in China . One of the few doll companies that hasn't moved their manufacturing to China is Kathe Kruse of Germany. They are pricey, but so is American Girl, and AG's dolls are made in China, for pete's sake!

I do read labels. I never (knowingly) buy food made in China. Weirdly enough, I found out my local supermarket's organic label canned beans were made in China. Found out after I bought several cans and opened them up to make soup :glare:.

There are many reasons I try to avoid the "made in China" label---concerns of safety and human rights violations being just two of them. But, it's very hard to go completely "China-free." So, we aren't.

That's where we are. I don't buy foodstuffs because I can find the same grown and processed here. However, as far as I can tell, a non-China-made stainless steel water bottle just simply doesn't exist. (Do we even produce stainless steel anymore?)

That's where we are. I don't buy foodstuffs because I can find the same grown and processed here. However, as far as I can tell, a non-China-made stainless steel water bottle just simply doesn't exist. (Do we even produce stainless steel anymore?)

Laken is aluminum (lined) and still made in Spain. I just checked. But I'm with you on the stainless question :(

Laken is aluminum (lined) and still made in Spain. I just checked. But I'm with you on the stainless question :(

It is my understanding that there are two foundries here in the states that still manufacture stainless steel. The rest all moved thier equipment to China. I am not aware of any USA companies that use the USA metal to make the stainless steel canteens.

:glare:

DD has been learning about human trafficking, slave labor and working conditions for the last couple of years. She's always checking on which companies are being investigated. We avoid products made in China because of their labor laws, human rights, etc. But there are many specific companies we avoid too. DD reminds me when we are shopping (I can't remember if we are avoiding Hanes or Fruit of the Loom). Chocolate is a big industry for slave labor. And based on comments attributed to a Tropicana spokesperson, I don't think DD would be happy if I purchased any of their OJ.

Of course there's no way to be sure if what you're purchasing was made with fair labor so we're leaning more and more toward second-hand stuff.

I'm encouraged to see so many avoiding Chinese products when possible. It makes me feel a liitle less freakish aobut our shopping habits.

Yeah, I can get Sigg bottles, too, but (aside from the aluminum) I'm not crazy about "proprietary" linings. I want to know what creepy stuff is leaching into my drink, you know? And I'm pretty sure we were told repeatedly that plastic bottles were inert for a while. :sad:

If you are avoiding products made in China due to bad trade practise, are you also avoiding products made by everyone else who is doing the same thing? After reading up on all those issues, I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to make 100% ethical choices, and we just have to do the best we can. I don't think I buy much from China, or anywhere else in South East Asia, but I don't really buy much that isn't food and books anyway! My eldest is only two, though, so perhaps that will change.

Rosie

Yes. But I think you're right; it IS nearly impossible to make 100% ethical decisions. However, I have to believe that every time we say no to purchasing product of questionable provenance, especially if we are choosing a fair trade item over it, we are demonstrating to companies / cultures of poor human rights that we will hold them accountable.

Even my wedding / engagement rings were antique / vintage because I just cannot support the horrors of the diamond mines. (I realize these old ones probably have worse juju attached, but...)

If you are avoiding products made in China due to bad trade practise, are you also avoiding products made by everyone else who is doing the same thing? After reading up on all those issues, I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to make 100% ethical choices, and we just have to do the best we can. I don't think I buy much from China, or anywhere else in South East Asia, but I don't really buy much that isn't food and books anyway! My eldest is only two, though, so perhaps that will change.

Rosie

You're right. It is almost impossible. Thanks for your insight... it's probably even harder for you down in Australia being so close to SE Asia. What about Thai labor practices? Are they rotten too? I love PLAN toys; they are made exclusively in Thailand (because of the "sustainably grown" wood sources there...) and I had always thought this was a better choice. Am I mistaken?

Are we the only ones who are no longer (to the best of our abilities) buying products made in China? Are we too rigid? Do you have a rule of thumb about this? Or is it not a concern with you?

As most here know, it's long been my practice to buy locally as much as possible and to support companies and countries whom I believe to be ethically responsible. Many people say that because it's not possible to be "100% ethical" in our choices, it isn't worth the effort. I disagree. It's very worth my effort to give a great deal of thought of the few purchases I make, as well as where I spend my money.

I don't know about the particular company you are referring to, but yeah, trade practises in Thailand suck too. But, if they are making products using sustainable wood, than they are a better ethical choice than sucky trade practises *and* unsustainable materials, aren't they? There are so many issues involved, you have to prioritise, finding the balance between ethics, economics and energy (;))

When I'm buying presents for my kids, the first thing I think about is whether or not it is a good present! I only go to the toy shop if I am looking for something specific, like puzzles or toy animals that I can't find anywhere else. I avoid any of those nasty "educational" toys that aren't educational at all. I try to avoid plastic whenever possible for a few different reasons. If I can buy from small businesses, markets or op shops (thrift stores ;) ) great. That's what I usually do, anyway, because the conventional shops are so full of nasty and boring plastic things so I hate going in there! (Yay for online shopping!!) When buying clothes, which I hardly ever do, I nearly always buy from op shops. Sure, they were made using sweat shop labour, but they are recycled, at least. Not to mention cheaper! And I figure if they have lasted long enough to become hand me downs, they'll last a bit longer. This is not something that can be assumed about new clothes. :glare: I bought "No Sweat" shoes once, and they started breaking within two weeks, so they are not a good use of my money, no matter how much I support their ethics.

Do you buy toys that are made in the US, but owned by a foreign country? Do you buy the toy made in China but owned by an American company? Do you buy a toy made from sustainable materials even though it was made offshore by a foreign owned company? Do you buy the American made and owned using sustainable materials, even though it is more boring than the other options so the kids won't enjoy it as much?

Moral to the story? You can't have everything! Or maybe the moral was that children are unsustainable? Hmm. Not sure ;)

Rosie