Menu

Can you list your favorite YUMMY healthy dessert recipe?

Dh has gone off his statins and is trying to do things naturally, so I'm having to be strict with our diet now.

But I'm a daughter of a down home cook from Indiana who grew up on Shoofly Pie and all kinds of fabulous desserts. It's hard enough trying to make healthy foods taste palatable enough for me, but I am DYING w/out good desserts-HELP!!!

Ricki’s Marvelous Maple Flax Cookies

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 Tbsp coconut oil

3 Tbsp pure maple syrup

1 Tbsp Sucanat or other unrefined evaporated cane juice

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

2 Tbsp (30 ml) finely ground flax seeds

3 Tbsp whole flax seeds

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

• Mix all ingredients together with hands or spoon
  • Dollop about 1 Tbs worth onto cookie sheet and form into cookie shape- not too thin though as they do flatten as they cook
  • Bake for about 10-12 minutes.

Take one sugar free Angel food cake. Tear it up into bite size pieces and put in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.

Mix together 1 pkg. (8 oz.) of cream cheese, 1 tub of sugar free Cool Whip or other whipped topping, and powdered sugar to taste (the original recipe calls for 1 cup; I have seen similar recipes that call for sugar free vanilla pudding instead). Spread over the top of the cake.

Spread one or two cans of sugar free cherry pie topping over the top. Enjoy!

This is my go to recipe when I need to take a quick dessert somewhere. The pan never fails to come home empty!

Are you looking for low fat or low calorie or both?

We restrict fat because of my son's metabolic issues but not calories.

Baked apples with cinnamon might meet the criteria for both. My son loves baked apples. I use brown sugar and cinnamon.

Edited by sbgrace

Did you write the recipe down? It's not working for me to get it from the video.

Sorry, I forgot about how hard it was to get the recipe from the video, I had to google search for it written somewhere else. Here ya go.

1C raw almonds. (Soaked, drained and allowed to air dry.)

1C pitted dates

1C dried pineapple, chopped

1 vanilla bean

1/4 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons shredded coconut

Pulse almonds in a food processor until a chunky meal is created, set aside. In a mixing bowl combine pineapple and dates and use your fingers to combine into a paste. Be prepared to be sticky! Scrape the vanilla seeds out of the vanilla bean and add along with the salt, almonds and 3 tablespoons of the coconut. Continue mixing. Roll into donut hole sized balls (about 1") and roll in remaining coconut.

I like to use all the ripe apples at this time of year.

Cut them in quarters or slices.

Mix with cinnamon and brown sugar and a little maple syrup if you like.

Bake at F350 for about 20-30 minutes depending on oven.

If you like baked apples, you ought to try baked quince. That's all I'm going to say ;)

Bill

I like to use all the ripe apples at this time of year.

Cut them in quarters or slices.

Mix with cinnamon and brown sugar and a little maple syrup if you like.

Bake at F350 for about 20-30 minutes depending on oven.

This is absolutely one of our favorite desserts! Its delish with pears, too! We even have it as a side dish for the main meal sometimes. Goes well with dishes accompanied by stuffing/dressing or wild rice dishes.

Mostly we work desserts, when we have them, around whatever fruit is in season.

If you like baked apples, you ought to try baked quince. That's all I'm going to say ;)

Bill

Do you own a quince orchard, Bill ;) Just kidding! I don't know that I've seen quince here in the desert grocery stores. My Dad ALWAYS talked about quince when I was growing up in Washington. He is of middle-eastern descent and ate it a lot as a boy. Where is quince native?

Edited by BikeBookBread

Ahhhh. Quince baked with vanilla beans is one of the happiest things around. I like to add baked quince to apple crumble. That's fairly healthy if you use a good oat crumble instead of that nasty cornflake stuff.

Is there any reason fruit salad is not suitable. In my experience, people who dont' like fruit like it much more when someone else cuts it up into bite sized pieces for them.

Rosie

Do you own a quince orchard, Bill ;) Just kidding! I don't know that I've seen quince here in the desert grocery stores. My Dad ALWAYS talked about quince when I was growing up in Washington. He is of middle-eastern descent and ate it a lot as a boy. Where is quince native?

Quince are native to a band than runs from Iran up though the Caucasus region (Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan).

They are common in markets here, perhaps because we have a large Persian population, and Persians adore quince. Persians actually stew quince with many meats, as a sweet-savoy blend of flavors is much to their taste. Mine too.

Baked quince is delicious on it's own, although I will admit the addition of a small amount of high quality vanilla ice cream, or a clotted cream does send the dessert into the stratosphere.

The taste somewhat resembles baked apples or pears, but has a sweet perfume (almost rose-like) that is unique and the texture is unbeatable. Mmmm.

Quince are hard when raw, but if you give one a sniff and you drink in "perfume" you know you have a great quince. A slight-smelling quince will still be "good" but won't be optimal. I'm surprised they aren't more popular.

Bill

Quince are native to a band than runs from Iran up though the Caucasus region (Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan).

They are common in markets here, perhaps because we have a large Persian population, and Persians adore quince. Persians actually stew quince with many meats, as a sweet-savoy blend of flavors is much to their taste. Mine too.

Baked quince is delicious on it's own, although I will admit the addition of a small amount of high quality vanilla ice cream, or a clotted cream does send the dessert into the stratosphere.

The taste somewhat resembles baked apples or pears, but has a sweet perfume (almost rose-like) that is unique and the texture is unbeatable. Mmmm.

Quince are hard when raw, but if you give one a sniff and you drink in "perfume" you know you have a great quince. A slight-smelling quince will still be "good" but won't be optimal. I'm surprised they aren't more popular.

Bill

Your explanation explains a lot! No wonder my Dad loved these growing up. He grew up in Longview, WA near the WA/OR border. There was a very large Persian population in Portland, and a middle-eastern type bazaar on weekends...

Your explanation explains a lot! No wonder my Dad loved these growing up. He grew up in Longview, WA near the WA/OR border. There was a very large Persian population in Portland, and a middle-eastern type bazaar on weekends...

The Spanish make a paste from jellied quince called "membrillo" which is delicious served with rich cheeses, Spanish almonds and a good sherry.

Bill (making self hungry :tongue_smilie:)

Sorry, I forgot about how hard it was to get the recipe from the video, I had to google search for it written somewhere else. Here ya go.

1C raw almonds. (Soaked, drained and allowed to air dry.)

1C pitted dates

1C dried pineapple, chopped

1 vanilla bean

1/4 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons shredded coconut

Pulse almonds in a food processor until a chunky meal is created, set aside. In a mixing bowl combine pineapple and dates and use your fingers to combine into a paste. Be prepared to be sticky! Scrape the vanilla seeds out of the vanilla bean and add along with the salt, almonds and 3 tablespoons of the coconut. Continue mixing. Roll into donut hole sized balls (about 1") and roll in remaining coconut.

Thanks! I wonder if it would still be good without the vanilla bean. Those things are pricey!

They're pretty happy in Maine, too. We had a huge bush in front of the porch when I was a kid, and I used to sit under it for hours, munching the fruits (all raw and hard).

Mochi filled with honey sweetened cream cheese (or lowfat ricotta), with dates (I get dates by the 11# display box... very popular here at Chez Crazy), sliced pears, pecans... :drool5: (ok, off to bake up some mochi)

Thanks! I wonder if it would still be good without the vanilla bean. Those things are pricey!

You could probably skip the bean and just use a dash of pure vanilla instead. But I haven't tried it that way, and technically it wouldn't be 'raw' any more (not that any/everyone is aiming for 100% raw). :)

Dh has gone off his statins and is trying to do things naturally, so I'm having to be strict with our diet now.

But I'm a daughter of a down home cook from Indiana who grew up on Shoofly Pie and all kinds of fabulous desserts. It's hard enough trying to make healthy foods taste palatable enough for me, but I am DYING w/out good desserts-HELP!!!

cheesecake

chocolate cheesecake

raspberry cheesecake

raspberry-chocolate cheesecake

The dairy is good for you. Lots of calcium. Protein, too. I count it as health-food.