Menu

Do you prime your walls before painting?

Guest RecumbentHeart

I used to work for a painter and no, we only primed as needed according to the paint and/or colors involved (or stains or patching done to the wall but that was only spot priming). We did always do two coats though.

ETA. We did two coats even with "one coat" paint. Your average person does not seem to see the difference between one and two coats but since painting (and being already anal) the difference really stands out, not just in even color coverage but with the finish if you are painting over one finish with a different one (eggshell over flat, for example).

Edited by RecumbentHeart

If the walls are already painted, and you are just changing color, then only prime over any places where you had to spackle to fill a hole or something. But do wash the walls, first, and let dry. Paint will stick better to clean, dry walls. And two coats are better than one.

depends on the wall. If I have needed to putty anything, or I am covering a pce of artwork by a jr picasso I prime those areas. If I puttied I usually do 2 coats of prime just to be sure. I prime the cabinets too when I am painting those to help the paint stick better. Oh yeah, and I prime the ceiling before painting(we have that ugly 70's popcorn ceiling, and it get paint thirsty so primer is necessary)

A lattee color over a light beige should be just fine. Do a double coat and coverage should be fine without primer.

I'm in the middle of prepping our kitchen for a paint-job.

I need to prime because I'm skim-coating all the walls with joint compound (dry-wall mud) as the kitchen of old house has painted-over wall-paper on the walls, which I started to remove, and discovered easily peeling lead-paint underneath on top of old-fashioned plaster. That's not good!

So burying the lead paint is the best option.

Not a particularly helpful post, but I'm stalling (as I need to go mud the ceiling) and I'm sore as heck from using muscles (from holding arms over-head) that haven't been worked this hard in a while :D

Bill

I will use a primer if I am using an expensive custom paint. If the coverage is going to require three coats, and a plain, neutral primer is less expensive than an additional coat of the good stuff, I start with a layer of primer.

I may also use it if the color change is dramatic.

I'm reading it's best (if you can) to "tint" the primer to semi-match the wall color. What say you?

Bill

:iagree: We have done this and it really saves time when you are using a darker paint color. The tinted primer acts as your primer and first coat of paint all in one, and hopefully you should only need one coat of actual paint.

We usually paint with colors and so we always prime first to cover the previous color.

I'm reading it's best (if you can) to "tint" the primer to semi-match the wall color. What say you?

Having recently painted my walls, I would say that in my next painting project, I would (in an ideal world) do this. It drove me crazy to find little bits of white underneath my color. Since I did a sort of multicolor thing, not a solid coating, having lighter color peeking through would have been acceptable, whereas white peeking through is ugly.

So, I say, do it!

I've used tinted primer when painting a white wall dark red and when painting a maroon wall a lighter taupe color. It really helps. Both those primers were tinted a grey color not the color of the actual paint. I only knew to use tinted primer because the paint guy told me it was recommended with the color I had selected.

If the walls are already painted, and you are just changing color, then only prime over any places where you had to spackle to fill a hole or something. But do wash the walls, first, and let dry. Paint will stick better to clean, dry walls. And two coats are better than one.

:iagree: Be sure to add texture to places that need it also if you have dents or whatever. Washing the walls is very important.

I'm usu. just a lurker, but am also going to be painting soon and am wondering if you all generally sand the walls also (and if so, do you sand b/t coats)?

An apartment I lived in many years ago had beautifully smooth painted walls. The landlord said he always sanded in between coats- but that seems like so much work!