Menu

Pulling ds out of school this week and I'm nervous !!

5ray2006

We are pulling our kindergartener out of school this week. He was home all last week due to flu-like symptons and strep throat. I really miss having him at home. I'm not impressed with what ds is doing in school. He's basically going to school to socialize and not learning. I'm definitely doing more with him at home in my spare time (I work full time outside of the home.) Lately, I've been struggling to find the time to work with him afterschool b/c I spend so much time with my 3rd grader who is not doing well in math ( he needs to come out as well, but is begging us to let him stay in school.) So, I've decided I could probably do more with my 5 yr.old 3-4 days per week on my off days than what ps does in a whole week. :001_huh: Right??

So we joined HSLDA and I printed a letter of intent. We're in Texas and I think that is all I have to do and sign papers to withdraw him. If I'm missing something, please chime in. I really wished I would've listened to my dh back in August. He said I would regret putting him in school, and I do. Lesson well learned-always listen to dh ;)

We are going to continue with BJU Math K, HOP K, Adventures in Phonics A, ZB style handwriting and a lot of read alouds along with daily bible readings. I will probably add in HOD Little Hearts or MFW K in January. For now, just focus on the basics and get into a groove.

I know we are doing the right thing, but I just don't want to have any problems with the school district. This is the only thing I'm really nervous about- the actual withdrawal process. I know God is on our side and I shouldn't worry. I will be praying for peace.

Thanks for listening (reading). :)

Congratulations!!! This is the best decision you've made for your child.

I also decided not to put my child in kindergarten. He was already reading and I've figuring he wouldn't learn much at school. We read a lot and have time for extra like karate ,piano lessons , etc.

We've also used Adventures in phonics (+their phonics readers which are so good) last year and now he is reading at 5th grade level.

You will enjoy the time with him and you will do great !

I know we are doing the right thing, but I just don't want to have any problems with the school district. This is the only thing I'm really nervous about- the actual withdrawal process. I know God is on our side and I shouldn't worry. I will be praying for peace.

Thanks for listening (reading). :)

I pulled mine out of PS (1st and 4th grade) last April, and wouldn't dream of going back. The school did not give us any grief over it whatsoever. Stick to what HSLDS, and THSC tell you. Do not answer any questions by phone. Do not respond in person or verbally when asked. Everything MUST be done in writing. But I just mailed my letter to the principal, and once he received the letter (one per child) that was it. No ifs, ands or buts. They did express that they were sad to see my dc go, but nothing further.

Where in Texas are you? We're in San Antonio.

You can do it!

My daughter learned to read almost anything in just 10 minutes a day in K with Webster's Speller, it doesn't take much time for the early elementary years if you choose good methods and work consistently.

Just make sure you teach the sight words in HOP phonetically and you'll do great, here's how to teach all but 5 of the most commonly taught sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

I really appreciate the support and the words of encouragement. I feel like a loner when discussing homeschooling with friends/family. Thankfully, my dh is my biggest fan and supporter and I have this wonderful forum to come to.

:grouphug: to you all. Thanks :)

I pulled mine out of PS (1st and 4th grade) last April, and wouldn't dream of going back. The school did not give us any grief over it whatsoever. Stick to what HSLDS, and THSC tell you. Do not answer any questions by phone. Do not respond in person or verbally when asked. Everything MUST be done in writing. But I just mailed my letter to the principal, and once he received the letter (one per child) that was it. No ifs, ands or buts. They did express that they were sad to see my dc go, but nothing further.

Where in Texas are you? We're in San Antonio.

I'm in the Arlington/Grand Prairie area. I have a couple of questions for you:

Are you saying I should send the letter of intent via certified mail to the principal instead of in person?

And, I don't have any paperwork to fill out, i.e withdrawal forms?

I think I will call HSLDA for clarification. Thanks for sharing your experience. I pray my ordeal will go as smooth as yours. :)

Lately, I've been struggling to find the time to work with him afterschool b/c I spend so much time with my 3rd grader who is not doing well in math ( he needs to come out as well, but is begging us to let him stay in school.)

Congratulations on making the decision to hs your K'er. You will never regret making this decision. And my hope for you is that as you gain experience and realize the benefits of hs'ing, you will find a way to school all three of your children, even your oldest.

We pulled our dd out of ps after 2nd grade. It has not always been a cake walk because she had a lot of friends there and she was used to ps. It was all that she had ever known. So she did go through a time of grief, but now that we are on our third year of hs'ing I know that she prefers it and realizes (in a much more mature way) that there are trade-offs for both types of education. I do know that kids can get very vocal and sometimes even demanding about this, but ultimately we as parents have to make the decision, not them. My best words to my daughter were that she would have to trust me as her parent to know what is best for her in the long run. She accepted that and learned to see it more clearly over time.

Blessings to you and your family, and God be with you as you move forward on your journey.

Lucinda

Congratulations on making the decision to hs your K'er. You will never regret making this decision. And my hope for you is that as you gain experience and realize the benefits of hs'ing, you will find a way to school all three of your children, even your oldest.

Lucinda

Lucinda, thank you. We are believing God that we will be able to homeschool all three, especially my oldest ds. :D

I'm in the Arlington/Grand Prairie area. I have a couple of questions for you:

Are you saying I should send the letter of intent via certified mail to the principal instead of in person?

And, I don't have any paperwork to fill out, i.e withdrawal forms?

I think I will call HSLDA for clarification. Thanks for sharing your experience. I pray my ordeal will go as smooth as yours. :)

You do not need to send a letter of intent. You are only going to NOTIFY THE SCHOOL that your dc will not be coming back. Do you see the difference? You are not required by law to tell ANYONE that you're going to teach your dc at home. The only thing you're doing is telling the school that your dc will not be coming back. Your dc is not mandatory school age, anyway, so there isn't much anyone can do except make life miserable for you by nagging you (and schools have been known to do that). There may be a standard withdrawal form that *all* students have to have filled out when they withdraw and enroll somewhere else, but NOTHING special for homeschooling.

The reason that THSC recommends sending a letter is so that you don't get into any conversation with school people who want you to file a notice of intent or any other such nonsense. None of that is required. And THSC recommends a certified letter so that you have proof that the school got it; otherwise they could claim ignorance.