Menu

What curriculum brands have you NOT been able to find at RR?

rafiki

They do carry at least a few of her items now.

Hmm, I searched on her name there and came up with nothing--perhaps it's only listed by the specific title? I searched on the title for The Elements and didn't see anything, but didn't look for other titles.

I went back and looked again. I was wrong, they do have The Elements, Carbon Chemistry and Excavating English. Unless you open the description, you wouldn't know they were hers, and I guess their search function only searches the title, not the description. Shame, seems like it would be a good idea to be able to search by author or publisher as well as they have *so* many items and many with similar titles. I didn't see The Brain or Mapping the World by Art.

So, I stand corrected:001_smile:. I haven't ever ordered from them, so haven't really tried to navigate their website very deeply before.

I ordered The Elements from there. I spoke with RR a while back and they said that Beautiful Feet quit letting them sell their stuff. She said sometimes the smaller companies just find it easier to do all the orders themselves. I know I have friends who wish TT could be ordered through there. I wish RR would come to our conventions. They said that they weren't invited to our conventions because they discount.

Hmm, I searched on her name there and came up with nothing--perhaps it's only listed by the specific title? I searched on the title for The Elements and didn't see anything, but didn't look for other titles.

I went back and looked again. I was wrong, they do have The Elements, Carbon Chemistry and Excavating English. Unless you open the description, you wouldn't know they were hers, and I guess their search function only searches the title, not the description. Shame, seems like it would be a good idea to be able to search by author or publisher as well as they have *so* many items and many with similar titles. I didn't see The Brain or Mapping the World by Art.

So, I stand corrected:001_smile:. I haven't ever ordered from them, so haven't really tried to navigate their website very deeply before.

They do have The Brain: an Introduction to Neurology - I found it by searching for neurology, but they don't appear to have Mapping the World With Art, probably because it's so new. I do wish you could search more specifically, like by author or publisher.

You can search by author and publisher. You have to change the search criteria.

I just tried searching using her last name and it only pulls up her musical instrument coloring book and not her other stuff for some reason.

I wish you could search by grade.

Edited by LadyAberlin

RR has been very receptive when I have made search suggestions to them. I really like some of the recent changes on their website. I find it important to keep in mind that although they are a large company in the homeschooling world, they do not have the same type of resources to put into their website that Amazon or Lakeshore Learning does.

As a vendor, I thought I'd chime in here.

I think more and more you'll see vendors not selling through stores (like Amazon or RR). In the age of the Internet, it's SO much more cost effective for us to sell our own material. When we sell through a store we usually take a 25-40% hit on the retail price of our products. Before the Internet, publishers had to sell in stores to be able to get their products in the hands of consumers. That's not hard to do now, so it's usually not worth it to wholesale our materials to stores.

I am a new homeschooler and I have RR'S catalog. They have an enormous selection, but to someone who is new, it is rather overwhelming. It think after the first 10 minutes I put it down and then logged onto the website, which to me could be more user friendly. I really like the selection, but just wish it was easier to locate what I need. I have five children and they are all on different grade levels so you can imagine the amount of curriculum I need, whew!

I understand the vendor perspective ((I'm a writer and take a huge hit on royalties from Amazon), but it's hard to be nickled and dimed on S&H costs when you're buying multiple items from various vendors. If something isn't on RR or Amazon, I either look at the used mkt or forgo the purchase.

I'm getting ready for another free shipping purchase from RR. I let my wish list grow until I'm there.

Laura

I understand the vendor perspective ((I'm a writer and take a huge hit on royalties from Amazon), but it's hard to be nickled and dimed on S&H costs when you're buying multiple items from various vendors. If something isn't on RR or Amazon, I either look at the used mkt or forgo the purchase.

I'm getting ready for another free shipping purchase from RR. I let my wish list grow until I'm there.

Laura

That's a good point, Laura. One thing to consider, though, is that were many of us to wholesale on a large scale, we'd have to increase our retail prices to make up for the lost income. Selling direct keeps costs down.