Menu

Anyone see Where the Wild Things Are yet? Do we have any reviews yet?

The 7yo is desperate to see it. Kid movies from books have such potential to be a disaster. Can I get some thoughts on it please? Was it scary at all?

One review I read said that while adults will enjoy it for a pleasant walk down memory lane of a favorite book (or something like that) kids may not like it as much because it doesn't have the flash and wham of the usual kid movies.

That part actually makes it sounds promising.

The 7yo is desperate to see it. Kid movies from books have such potential to be a disaster. Can I get some thoughts on it please? Was it scary at all?

One review I read said that while adults will enjoy it for a pleasant walk down memory lane of a favorite book (or something like that) kids may not like it as much because it doesn't have the flash and wham of the usual kid movies.

That part actually makes it sounds promising.

I can't say this interview with Maurice Sendak and Spike Jonze made it any easier to decide, but it was extremely entertaining.

Forgot the link: http://www.newsweek.com/id/216997

Barb

I was all excited about seeing this one.....but after reading a review in the paper last week about how Spike Jonze made it, I'm not sure that I want to. He said that he wanted to make a kids movie that was not for kids. :confused: From what I read, he deviated from the book quite a bit.

The kids and I just got in from seeing Where the Wild Things Are. We went to the Air/Space Museum in Chantilly, VA (5 minutes from us) so we could see it in IMAX.

Short story first -- scary for little kids? Not if they are familiar with the characters in the book. Should you take them to see it. KEEP READING:

Will the story make sense to little kids? In a word, NO! There is a story, there are analogies, there are anger issues, family issues -- this is NOT a cutesie, wootsie movie for a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or even an 8 year old. The trailers seen on television are quite child-friendly -- keep watching the trailers -- I loved the film, but it is not for small children.

If your 8+ year old is articulate, well-read, and not immature, then perhaps it will be a positive, discussion-triggering film.

My three children and I walked out of the theatre talking about family issues and what makes a child feel afraid, what might make an adult in a family feel afraid, and why it's important for us to feel safe.

Spike Jonz did say quite emphatically that this is not a "children's" movie -- I would have to agree with him.

The cinematography was gorgeous - the actress who plays the mom portrayed the quintessential tired, hopeful, loving mom.

I liked the movie -- I related to many of the fear issues, 'I want someone to take control of this situation' issues, the "I don't want this to change" issue, and I chuckled at the funny lines - which were not infrequent but definitely over the heads of children.

HTH --

Edited by MariannNOVA

I was all excited about seeing this one.....but after reading a review in the paper last week about how Spike Jonze made it, I'm not sure that I want to. He said that he wanted to make a kids movie that was not for kids. :confused: From what I read, he deviated from the book quite a bit.

Actually, he said he made a movie about childhood, but not necessarily a children's movie. It is nuanced and representational and geared toward older children and adults. Adults like us who grew up with the book will likely enjoy it more than younger kids. That said, I'll bet there will be quite a few bored and disappointed little kids in the theater thanks to the poorly targeted marketing. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but only with my older kids. I think it'll make good discussion fodder, especially since this is one of my son's favorite books and he is quite the little Wild Thing.

BTW...he would have had to deviate from the book. It was what? 32 pages? :D

Barb

As for deviating from the book, I was just going by what the article said since I have not seen it yet. But I did read that he yelled at his step-parent and that's what gets him into trouble. That part just seemed strange to me because in the book, he just yelled "I'll eat you up" to his mother. I dunno, maybe the had to add more to it, but it seems odd to add a step-parent in there.

As for deviating from the book, I was just going by what the article said since I have not seen it yet. But I did read that he yelled at his step-parent and that's what gets him into trouble. That part just seemed strange to me because in the book, he just yelled "I'll eat you up" to his mother. I dunno, maybe the had to add more to it, but it seems odd to add a step-parent in there.

My review is posted above and in a separate thread. The kids and I saw it this afternoon. I really liked it BUT it is not a child's movie. There is not a step-parent in the movie -- his mom is dating, and he yells at his mom.

That's such a bummer! I was really looking forward to taking my 4 yo. :001_unsure: But I guess it will still be around when she's 8.

By the time she is 8, it will be in the .99 bin at Wal-Mart - you will really be ahead of the game! To repeat, I really liked the film, but it is not for little children. In fact, I've emailed my 30 year old dd to tell her that she should NOT take my grand-daughters who are 6 yrs old and 3.5 yrs old. :)

Actually, he said he made a movie about childhood, but not necessarily a children's movie. It is nuanced and representational and geared toward older children and adults. Adults like us who grew up with the book will likely enjoy it more than younger kids. That said, I'll bet there will be quite a few bored and disappointed little kids in the theater thanks to the poorly targeted marketing. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but only with my older kids. I think it'll make good discussion fodder, especially since this is one of my son's favorite books and he is quite the little Wild Thing.

BTW...he would have had to deviate from the book. It was what? 32 pages? :D

Barb

Yo and yup!:001_smile:

Can you imagine the horror story Outside, Over There would be?

Oh, I LOVE Outside Over There!

Those pictures....those colors....

Me too! But the frozen baby in place of the soft, warm one....not easy on the heart. lol

My 17 yr old can't wait to see The Wild Things. To me that's a great thing.. a book that can transcend age groups. If all films were worthy of 4 yr olds, we'd all be have to suffer Caillou at $12/ticket. <runs screaming from theater>

Thanks for the reviews. This was one of my children's favorite picture book and I've been waiting to hear more about the movie after seeing reviews that didn't really seem child friendly. I suspected it would be an adult drama and I'd be very sad if I shelled out nearly $10 each for my kiddos to see it.

I'm, of course, not opposed to it being a film with adult themes, I just don't know how much they'd enjoy it (FTR, my kids are on the older side, my youngest is 8.5). It reminds me a bit of Marley and Me...great movie, but thank goodness I didn't take them to the theater...watching it at home was bad enough. I had several children in tears and my daughter was full-out sobbing after it.

I'm, of course, not opposed to it being a film with adult themes, I just don't know how much they'd enjoy it (FTR, my kids are on the older side, my youngest is 8.5). It reminds me a bit of Marley and Me...great movie, but thank goodness I didn't take them to the theater...watching it at home was bad enough. I had several children in tears and my daughter was full-out sobbing after it.

My 10 yr old sobbed through reading Marely & Me. She says she isn't ready for the movie quite yet.

Yo and yup!:001_smile:

Can you imagine the horror story Outside, Over There would be?

Ha! Yeah, did you read the interview with Sendak I linked above? A quote:

What makes a good kids' story?

Sendak: How would I know? I just write the books. But I do know that my parents were immigrants and they didn't know that they should clean the stories up for us. So we heard horrible, horrible stories, and we loved them, we absolutely loved them. But the three of us—my sister, my brother, and myself—grew up very depressed people.

and also:

The monsters were based on adults, right?

Sendak: The monsters were based on relatives. They came from Europe, and they came on weekends to eat, and my mom had to cook. Three aunts and three uncles who spoke no English, practically. They grabbed you and twisted your face, and they thought that was an affectionate thing to do. And I knew that my mother's cooking was pretty terrible, and it also took forever, and there was every possibility that they would eat me, or my sister or my brother. We really had a wicked fantasy that they were capable of that. We couldn't taste any worse than what she was preparing. So that's who the Wild Things are. They're foreigners, lost in America, without a language. And children who are petrified of them, and don't understand that these gestures, these twistings of flesh, are meant to be affectionate. So there you go.

Which I thought was really interesting.

Barb

I was teary at the end when Max leaves the island. My twins will be 9 years old next week -- it was fine for them; I think if an 8+ year child is on the 'mature' side it would probably be okay -- my suggestion would be to see it with the older kids and decide if it is okay for the younger one.

I would definitely go see it again -- I liked it that much. I will probably go again with the kids with DH who could not join us today. :001_smile:

Ha! Yeah, did you read the interview with Sendak I linked above? A quote:

What makes a good kids' story?

Sendak: How would I know? I just write the books. But I do know that my parents were immigrants and they didn't know that they should clean the stories up for us. So we heard horrible, horrible stories, and we loved them, we absolutely loved them. But the three of us—my sister, my brother, and myself—grew up very depressed people.

and also:

The monsters were based on adults, right?

Sendak: The monsters were based on relatives. They came from Europe, and they came on weekends to eat, and my mom had to cook. Three aunts and three uncles who spoke no English, practically. They grabbed you and twisted your face, and they thought that was an affectionate thing to do. And I knew that my mother's cooking was pretty terrible, and it also took forever, and there was every possibility that they would eat me, or my sister or my brother. We really had a wicked fantasy that they were capable of that. We couldn't taste any worse than what she was preparing. So that's who the Wild Things are. They're foreigners, lost in America, without a language. And children who are petrified of them, and don't understand that these gestures, these twistings of flesh, are meant to be affectionate. So there you go.

Which I thought was really interesting.

Barb

I love Sendack. That's fantastic.