Menu

Anyone here wear a CPAP mask for apnea?

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, although not severe. My symptoms are tremendous fatigue all day, waking up more tired than when I went to bed, frequent morning headaches, very loud snoring that really bugs DH. I also have borderline high blood pressure, which I know can be associated with sleep apnea, and some other symptoms that could be or could not be from the apnea. I could also stand to lose about 20 lbs.

Anyway, I had the sleep study, but the technician did NOT do the CPAP titration portion, even though my doctor had ordered it. And now it's going to be around a month before I can go back and have the CPAP portion of the study.

Questions for those of you who wear a CPAP mask, because I am REALLY dreading it.

How long did it take to get used to?

Did you notice an immediate improvement in symptoms, or was it gradual?

Can you sleep on your side with the mask on, or does it smash against the pillow?

Can you freely move around, or does the tubing keep you tethered?

Any other comments or experiences with CPAP would be much appreciated. I am dreading another night in the sleep lab (terrible experience the first night) and dreading having to wear the mask every night.

On the other hand, I am so tired most days that I cannot do things I would like to, the frequent headaches are awful, and DH gets really annoyed about my snoring. So I guess I will be glad to be better!

Michelle T

I'm an RN and lots of my patients at the hospital wear them. Most of them just bring theirs from home, but occassionally, we'll be starting someone new. They usually don't like the idea of wearing the mask all night, but are ALWAYS amazed at how much better they feel the next morning. I'd do it.

And I also need to agree about loosing any extra weight. That will usually take care of it.

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, although not severe. My symptoms are tremendous fatigue all day, waking up more tired than when I went to bed, frequent morning headaches, very loud snoring that really bugs DH. I also have borderline high blood pressure, which I know can be associated with sleep apnea, and some other symptoms that could be or could not be from the apnea. I could also stand to lose about 20 lbs.

Anyway, I had the sleep study, but the technician did NOT do the CPAP titration portion, even though my doctor had ordered it. And now it's going to be around a month before I can go back and have the CPAP portion of the study.

Questions for those of you who wear a CPAP mask, because I am REALLY dreading it.

Can you sleep on your side with the mask on, or does it smash against the pillow?

Any other comments or experiences with CPAP would be much appreciated. I am dreading another night in the sleep lab (terrible experience the first night) and dreading having to wear the mask every night.

On the other hand, I am so tired most days that I cannot do things I would like to, the frequent headaches are awful, and DH gets really annoyed about my snoring. So I guess I will be glad to be better!

Michelle T

My apnea is mild, too, but I experienceed a *big* difference in my quality of life.

I can't remember how long it was before I noticed an improvement, so it must have been gradual (but not a loooong time).

My mask is not a full one, just "nasal pillows." With straps that go around and over my head and tubing and all that, it isn't pretty, lol, but it gets the job done.

I sleep on my side and on my back. I drape the tubing over the top of my headboard so I don't tangle myself in it, and I bought a felt cover for it to keep it from knocking noisily against the headboard or the wall. The CPAP stays on a lower shelf on my nightstand. The tubing is long enough that I can move around, but then, I usually sleep pretty much in the same position all night anyway. A friend says she tosses and turns with no problems strangling herself with the tubing. :-)

Sorry you had a bad experience, but if you need the CPAP, you need to go back. Right away. Really.

You shouldn't have to wait to go back. They set me up in my home. My mom was the same way. Then she went back after she adjusted for her titration study.

My mother noticed an immediate improvement. Her apnea was moderate. She got used to the mask in a couple of weeks. You can sleep on your side and move around. I never fully adjusted though I did use mine (nasal) because I didn't have it long. I had planned from the start to do an oral appliance as a treatment so I used the cpap while I was waiting on my appliance to be built basically. I liked my cpap though. I felt like I could breath at night. I didn't have an immediate improvement except that I no longer snored. Over time I've seen dramatic improvement but in my case with the oral appliance I had to work up to a level controlling my apnea by adjusting the appliance. So not the same as cpap in timing.

Hi! Well, I believe in honesty, but this may not be very encouraging to you.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with mild s/a. I went in for a sleep study, diagnosed then asked to go back for another with c/pap in place. I was very upset I had this. As a result, it took me 3 years to even consider wearing it.

Unfortunately, I still do not use it like I should. When I was more consistent about using the machine 3 years ago, I felt MUCH MORE energetic physically and more mentally alert. And, I lost weight!! It's a blessing to have this equipment and it should be used! I say that to you and to myself.

The hoses get in the way at first, but you DO learn how to adapt the equipment and secondly you get used to it.

Thanks for posting this. I really need to encourage myself to continue using it!!!

Sheryl

<><

Feel free to pm me and we can encourage one another that way, if that suits you.

• 1 year later...

My dh has used a CPAP for 2 years, but I have to be honest...he did not see much of a difference. He really doesn't wake up more refreshed/rested and he complains that he is uncomfortably filled with air. He doesn't feel like the benefits are great enough to continue wearing it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is our experience.

Hope you get the help you need.

Maddy

DH uses one. The results were immediate, dramatic, and amazing. I noticed how alert he was the first morning with the mask. He sleeps on his side and his back without trouble, and alternates between the full mask and the nose-only one. Once he got the machine he stopped thrashing about so much in bed and now sleeps soundly.

He had to wait between his first sleep study and his titration study as well, but it was worth it.

I have a cpap gathering dust here. I need to call and try a new mask. I'd wait at night until I was really really tired, lay down with the mask on, and I could not go to sleep. After about 30 plus minutes of the air blowing on me I'd start to feel closed in, rip it off, and go right to sleep. I have severe hypopnea btw. I need to try again.

Oh, and my husband said that I was able to snore even with my mask on :), I have talent.

Alison

I use one and have for about a year. I have ALWAYS snored (as does my wafer-thin 8 year old boy ... my dad snores like a TRUCK - and has had strokes, heart issues, ets. - and would NEVER get a sleep study done... I KNOW he has apnea.) and now that I am old I need to lose weight.

Here's my experience - PM me if you need to...

I did the initial sleep study - it was terrible. Invasive, horrible, awful.

I waited a month and got the results. Apnea. My doctor then prescribed my cpap. I got it that day and it was set up for a low pressure. I was to wear it every night so that I could just get used to wearing it. Then I went back a month later for titration and adjustments to get the pressure right. I am REALLY glad my doctor did it this way - and I would HIGHLY recommend you ask if you could get the machine and get used to it before the second study. It helped me a TON.

OK - second study. DREADING it - and it was nothing. Really. I totally knew what to expect. It was annoying, but absolutely nothing like the first time. I actually slept through the night. It really was no where near similar to the first (the process was identical - but it didn't bother me at all).

With my insurance I've been able to try a couple of different styles of masks. I now use a nasal pillow - but it took me a year on the machine to be able to use them. I started with a mask - then changed styles - and now to the pillows. Tweaking has helped me a ton and I've read it takes a year to really adjust. I would say the full adjustment took a couple of months of every day use after titration. Though some days I still fight it (just like before, some nights I just slept poorly).

OK, now the honest part. I CRIED the first night. SOBBED about having to wear it. I hide it from my family when I visit them (but I am sure they are all scratching the heads wondering why I don't snore...). My BFF and others know - and I don't mind talking about it most of the time. I feel like a failure for needing it... If I lived alone I probably wouldn't have done it - but now my husband sleeps like a baby. You aren't the only one suffering from apnea... It spoke volumes to him that I love him enough to do this for him.

For symptoms - it was a huge improvement over the first real month of use (after titration). Now if I don't use it - whoa nelly. I can tell BIG TIME.

As for the tethered, annoying part - some nights I'm great, others it annoys me. The pillow thing I use now is pretty good - but some idiot designed it and it needs a 360 degree swivel on top... and it doesn't have one. I sleep on my side - and my back now. I could never have done that before. When I am on my side I use more of the edge of the pillow - but it's not a big deal at all. The tubing is long - but you have to unhook to go use the bathroom - which is not a big deal.

But with all that, and the sleep study (which was indeed, awful!), I am glad I did it and I would genuinely recommend that if you need it - DO IT. I wear my mask every single night. I can sleep without it - but it's miserable - for me and my family. I travel with it and it's not a big deal. My kids and I call it Snuffy (like Snufaluffagus). I wish I could take it camping with me. Really. It's that helpful.

My dh has used a CPAP for 2 years, but I have to be honest...he did not see much of a difference. He really doesn't wake up more refreshed/rested and he complains that he is uncomfortably filled with air. He doesn't feel like the benefits are great enough to continue wearing it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is our experience.

Hope you get the help you need.

Maddy

This is how my husband felt. He also complained that it filled with condensation, and he was always sweating because of it (humidity is a year round problem here, even indoors). Even though during the test, they told him he got more REM sleep with the mask on, he didn't feel any better wearing it. He tried it for several months, and gave up.

He eventually decided on a painful surgery instead. While the recovery took almost 2 weeks, he's feeling better. He said he wouldn't recommend the surgery to anyone except as a last resort, and he's not one to complain about pain!

I do have a friend who uses one, and swears it changed her life. All you can do is try, and hope you're one of the ones it helps.

I am a long time CPAP user and wow, I can't believe folks who get DX and then don't treat it.

ALL of the issues PP have mentioned are things that can and should be resolved with the help of your medical equipment supplier.(Different mask, different kind of mask, hose covers for humidity issues which is call rain out by the way..) If you snore while wearing the mask, you are not getting enough pressure for example.

I have had less than adequate support and went years feeling terrible even while faithfully using my machine every single night. Finally a year ago, I took matters in my own hands and got a new machine. There is a world of difference now. I needed the technology that comes with the new machines to take care of one of my issues.

CpapTalk.com is a forum much like this one. For any of you having issues, please join and ask away. There are some really awesome folks on there. There are some cranky ones too, just ignore them.

:glare:

I just place an order this morning with Cpap.com, which is assoiciated with the boards, only because they are a ton cheaper than my medical supplier. However, that is not a requirement of a board member.

OP, yes, it takes time, and finding the correct mask and fit is probably the most difficult thing. Feeling better can be a slow curve or a sudden left turn. No one can predict. Just don't give up.

I wish I could take it camping with me. Really. It's that helpful.

Little hijack---my dh takes his camping. PM him (he's dad 4 boys) if you want him to explain what he uses for power.

OP, if you want to see what my dh says about CPAP, here's a link to a previous thread where he posts:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198333

I am a long time CPAP user and wow, I can't believe folks who get DX and then don't treat it.

ALL of the issues PP have mentioned are things that can and should be resolved with the help of your medical equipment supplier.(Different mask, different kind of mask, hose covers for humidity issues which is call rain out by the way..)

Well, if it had been me, I would have looked into getting the problem corrected. But my dh started the whole thing with a negative attitude in the first place (he did try ONE different mask). Um, honey. This thing is so we can keep you around a long time!

I think someone like my dh who didn't want to wear one anyway, would find a reason not to. Sigh.