Menu

Is there such a thing as secular science for a very sciency family?

Earth Yarn

we LOVE science! DH spends most of his free time watching TED talks and researching sciency things (mainly genetics) We are working on our overall plan for the kiddos and are new to the HS thing. I have to say I am having one heck of a time finding a good easy to follow science curriculum that isn't religious and is spilling over with good experiments. If I have to I suppose we could sorta fudge a program using some spines and adding on as we go but for the first years or so it would be nice to have some hand holding while we find our groove thanks! I am sure you all are loving my newbie game of ask the wise one 20 questions :P

:bigear: too!

So far Noeoscience, even though it's well-organized, was a bomb here because "I" couldn't stand the encyclopedia readings - they put me to sleep.

We love TOPS science for experimental, but would love a textual curriculum, too. I feel like our science so far has been adequate in its piecemeal way, but would like more structure for middle school.

If this is for the 8 year old I would recommend REAL Science Odyssey. Completely secular and tons of activities, two or three a lesson/week. You can download a few weeks of sample lessons from each of their courses (right now they have Life, Earth/Space, and Chemistry). We did Life and are doing both Earth/Space and Chemistry now, though our favorite is Chemistry and it is a blast!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
If this is for the 8 year old I would recommend REAL Science Odyssey. Completely secular and tons of activities, two or three a lesson/week. You can download a few weeks of sample lessons from each of their courses (right now they have Life, Earth/Space, and Chemistry).

:iagree: And physics is due out Spring of 2010, I believe.

http://www.pandiapress.com/trybeforeyoubuy.html

We use R.E.A.L. Science here also. It is very hands on, and I like the extra books, and websites they provide.

I have also used Mr. Q Classical science. That may be more your childs style. It averages about 4 pages of reading, a couple of optional worksheets, and 2 or more experiments.

My Pals Are Here (Singapore Science) sold on singaporemath.com has good reviews here and is secular.

Also, you can search for Prentice Hall Science Explorer on this web site which also has good reviews.

We've been doing REAL Science Odyssey for an easier intro, but in a few months (when we finish Earth & Space) we will switch to My Pals are Here and then for middle school we'll do Prentice Hall. My 8th grader is using PH and it's good, though not particularly DEEP but hey, it's for middle school :)

For my 3rd grader I am using Mr Q life science and she really enjoys it. The experiment are designed to be easily done at home.

For middle school I picked CPO science (earth science for 6th grade). I love the book and the additional woorksheets available on their website. The only issue is the experiments. They are designed to be done with the equipment they sell. However I do not have $1500 laying around to buy said equipement so it needs a lot of adaptation and some of the experiments we just have to skip.

May I suggest picking up any of Janice Vancleave's books and then bolstering this with additional science books from the library? Alternatively, for a more "canned" package, consider the Jason Project.

For young children, nothing beats good field guides, binoculars and time to watch the world. There is a great deal to be learned from observation.

Jane

For life science, using encyclopedia type spines like Kingfisher or Usborne and doing lots of nature observation is good. Beyond that, we also like REAL Science Odyssey. We are currently doing Earth/Space and have heard great things about Chemistry, which we will do next year.

ok we already own: Dk first human body encyclopedia usborne first encyclopedia of animals usborne internet linked encyclopedia of science usborne illustrated biology janice vancleave A+ biology janice vancleave physics for every kid an awesome microscope a set of 100 prepared slides I seemed to have amassed a little collection here from stuff I thought was awesome for future use :P

It sounds like you are ready for life science at the very least! Use the animal/human body books, add a small garden to learn about plants, nature walks with collections/sketches of different plants and animals, creepy crawlies to examine under the microscope, etc, and you're set! :D

For physical science...

Don't miss Supercharged Science. It's is awesome. We are using the escience program and have the electricity kit. Aurora is fun and engaging. She has free teleclasses too!

http://www.superchargedscience.com/

You can also check out Exploration Education. Ds is really enjoying that as well.

http://www.explorationeducation.com/