Menu

Changing up a generic white-bread Christmas

I'm not from one of those families that celebrates one's heritage. We had a pretty average Christmas. Not heavy on the tradition. My Dad's mom was Austrian, my husband is Danish and Irish. I wanted to incorporate some of those Christmas traditions into our family celebration.

Has anyone else done this? It feels sort of phony, like I'm borrowing traditions from other people. But I'd like my kids to have a more thorough understanding of their ancestry than I did. Any tips?

It isn't phony at all. It sounds great. We have incorporated some traditions from various areas we have lived in. It's who are family is -transients courtesy of the US Air Force. One nice thing you can do is add holidays, if they have any extras around the holidays. For example, many Central European countries celebrate St. Nicholas day. We have always done this and our children really enjoy it even now that they are older. When I was growing up, a neighbor of mine was a German woman. She would help her kids and neighbor kids make lanterns out of milk cartons and we would have a nighttime parade singing some German songs and finsih up with some cookies and hot chocolate for St. Martin's Day. I am not familiar with specific holiday practices of either Danish or Irish but I bet they have some fun ones. The festivals in Europe are just spectacular.

We had a Danish foreign exchange student live with us for a year when I was in high school. He made Christmas dinner for us and introduced us to a custom that we still do whenever we're all together. We make a rice pudding (although the recipe my mom uses now isn't the same as the one he used) and mix in chopped almonds and one whole, blanched almond (so it's white and can't be seen). Mom (or whoever, I think I bought it one year) gets one gift that anyone would enjoy, and when we eat the pudding, whoever finds the whole almond gets the gift. I'm not sure if it's a Danish tradition or just from his family, but it's fun! You might have to modify it if you have young kids, though.

I agree with pp that it's not phony at all to make a conscious effort to incorporate more traditions into your family's life. :) One source you might look into would be Waldorf websites, etc. as a large part of the Waldorf philosophy has to to do with living in the rhythm of the seasons, so the traditional ways of observing those seasons is part of that rhythm. :) And family traditions can be small, and still important. For instance, my kids like to make "Lucy cats" on St. Lucy's day--sweetish eggy rolls, shaped into something that vaguely resembles a cat's eyes :tongue_smilie:--and that's a BIG thing for us during Advent, for instance. :)

I do have to giggle though because it makes me think of the Festivus tradition of "airing grievances". Basically each person takes turns telling the others how they have disappointed them this year. :lol:

(I only think it is funny in theory, not in practice!)

I think my extended family has been secretly participating in that tradition for years! ;)

Two years ago someone on this board posted a recipe for buttermilk pie. Somehow I had it stuck in my head that my dad used to talk about eating this as a kid. As a surprise for the family Thanksgiving, I made one for my dad. My dad loved the pie...but said he had never had one in his life! The whole family (including me) thought this was hilarious. So we made up some story about dad eating this as a boy and it has become one of our new family traditions! We all talk real phonily about how special it is to eat one of "Papa's" boyhood traditions and we enjoy every bite. In fact, it is such a favorite that now I have to make at least two. Probably in one more generation the kids really will believe that it was a long standing tradition. :) So trust me when I say that it's not hard to establish a new tradition and make it your own!

Great idea! Austria is so rich with Christmas traditions. We are in the same boat here, and I have found these helpful:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=23

Books from Hawthorn Press -- Festivals Together (multicultural)

and All Year Round (Christian, but cultural rather than religious)

Catholic Culture .com or .org (can't remember) -- recipes, games, etc -- not just for Catholics.

We do Christmas as the whole cycle of Christmas related celebrations, such as St Nicholas Day and ending with Epiphany.

I

Has anyone else done this? It feels sort of phony, like I'm borrowing traditions from other people. But I'd like my kids to have a more thorough understanding of their ancestry than I did. Any tips?

Baking. My memories of Christmas are mostly the fabulous stollens my mother made

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen

(and the pies and the gravy, etc.)

She also knitted lovely stockings for us, and while she was too old to make one for my son, she redid the top, taking out my name and putting in his, before she died.

I love that you're doing this for your kids - I know they'll love it! It's not phony at all! My husband is Australian, and his grandmother (my kids' great-grandmother) always gets the kids something Aussie for Christmas. Usually it's a classic Australian book like "Possum Magic," but sometimes it's just a small little Australian flag or map. Santa always brings the kids Australian candy in their stockings, and my MIL always hunts down Christmas crackers (not food) for everyone to open during dinner.

Good luck starting your own traditions. I would love to hear what you find!

And that buttermilk pie story is HILARIOUS!!!!!! :D

Ask your children what they enjoy about the holiday. I guarantee you they won't say "Presents!". A few years ago we talked about what we enjoyed most and it was all about getting the tree, making cookies, having family over & being together with cousins, watching Christmas movies snuggles up, staying home Christmas day, decorating the house, having hot chocolate while we decorate the tree etc. They know Mom is all about celebrating babies and hope and love, so they help me set up a little manger with my little Waldorf toys. :001_smile:

If you are ever able to read anything written by Maria Von Trapp, I think she gives some examples in her books about Austrian Christmas.

Epiphany and the 12 days of Christmas are really fun to celebrate. We make Bishop's wine and many of the other traditional recipes that go along with the days.