Menu

Do You Use Binders?

krw

Each child has two binders per year at our house -- everything chronologic in our history binder (or geography) and everything else.

However, over on the shelf are a couple of small notebooks for either (1) things we add to over the years, such as grammar rules notebook, or (2) special notebooks we made for a particular science program or Minnesota history.

I've had each child's notebooks under one end-table all these years. We do get them out at various times, so it's nice to have them on hand. Eventually, I'll have to figure out something else?!

Julie

We've used binders for 4 years and I organize them a la WTM. However: If you didn't want to use binders, you could use a file drawer. Make a hanging file folder for each subject and keep your completed work in the hanging file folders. This would save you the hassle of 3-hole punching everything! Make the needed subject file files for each student. If you don't have a filing cabinet/drawer then you can purchase a file box pretty inexpensively for the file folders.

Each of my boys use a two pocket folder to store their school work for the week: on the left is incomplete work and on the right is completed work.

Hope you find a system that will work for you!

We don't. For SOTW, I keep completed mapwork and flat projects in a file folder (one for each dc), and do the review questions orally, no narration yet. When we start narrations (maybe next year?), I'll just use a spiral notebook. For non-flat projects, they end up all sorts of places, and I try to remember to take a picture to put in their files. We're using a workbook-based grammar & spelling program, so everything is bound in the workbooks. For science, we just read & discuss & do experiments, but don't really record much of it. I'll probably have them do more of that later, but don't feel it's necessary for grammar-stage science that they'll hardly remember anyway.

Following TWTM I went out and bought 3-ring binders for all the subjects but they seem to be taking up a lot of room and getting in the way. If you don't use this method, what do you do?

krw

We're still using it, but I'm thinking of switching to composition notebooks (the kinds that are black and white on the cover and the pages are sewn in). I'm going to move science, spelling, reading, Latin, and math into those. Grammar and writing are already done in one, but for history we'll stick with the binder. Greek is done in a workbook, so there's no need for a folder :)

My reasoning is that the cns are slimmer, none of the pages wear or fall out, and they're kept in order. I've gotten tired of having to fix pages with the hole mender sticker things and it gets so messy after awhile...

hth

I do. I have five binders dedicated to schoolwork:

Book of Centuries (SOTW pages and timeline)

Nature Notebook and Almanac

Copywork

Spanish

My personal Corebook which includes Geography and Health & Safety lessons for a whole year as well

The biggest one is the Book of Centuries, as it includes space for all five years of History Studies (with an American History course in between). Copywork, Nature Notebook and Spanish are small, and the Corebook is medium.

Yes... We do a combo of WTM and basic notebooking. Each kid has a milk crate that holds their current binders/notebooks/workbooks. I have one crate that holds my teacher materials, plus a bag for art supplies. We also have one bookshelf for manipulatives and materials we aren't using right now. So as long as we all put our things away each day, it stays pretty well organized.

Following TWTM I went out and bought 3-ring binders for all the subjects but they seem to be taking up a lot of room and getting in the way. If you don't use this method, what do you do?

krw

We use binders, but compile related subjects, like grammar and writing, into one binder.

krw

I have the following binders:

Ben: handwriting, spelling, grammar, writing, memorization, math, art, music

Nathan: same

Story of the World -- one that holds Nathan's and Ben's work

Science -- one that holds Nathan's and Ben's work

I only save tests for math and grammar, and I only save tests and a running list of difficult words for spelling.

This might sound silly, but what size binders do you use if you put all the subjects into one? And do your dc do thier assignments on looseleaf and then put it in the binder or do they have notebooks for each subject as well?

I have never loved binders. We *do* however need more organization. We usually have one pocket/3prong folder and a spiral notebook for each class. The problem with that is making sure dc can find both of those things along with the text and workbook for each class - believe it or not, it gets challenging.

TIA

I have one large binder per child with tabbed dividers. When it starts getting full, I take some stuff out and store it in a box (or another binder).

Same, except when it gets full, I just start another binder. :-)

I also have binders for storing work not yet assigned--one for math, one for everything else.

I tried one binder for every subject. Complete failure for me! I lost them or they slid off the shelf or whatever. And it took up so much SPACE.

Edited by Reya

This might sound silly, but what size binders do you use if you put all the subjects into one? And do your dc do thier assignments on looseleaf and then put it in the binder or do they have notebooks for each subject as well?

I have never loved binders. We *do* however need more organization. We usually have one pocket/3prong folder and a spiral notebook for each class. The problem with that is making sure dc can find both of those things along with the text and workbook for each class - believe it or not, it gets challenging.

TIA

3". I ended up with two last year. I'll probably end up with 3 this year. DS doesn't really use it--I do, to file his work.

I did do everything looseleaf. Now I make multi-day packets on all subjects that he does more than a page in per day--less to lose. I really, really like my photocopies SWO. The paper is so flimsy, and it doesn't lay flat! I staple a chapter together at a time.

For everything else, I finally decided to go for workboxes, and I have to say, it's made a HUGE difference in our organization!

TIA

I described my binders already, but I wanted to mention that after more than ten years of homeschooling, I really see no need to keep every grammar, spelling and math lesson. I keep tests only. This limits how many binders I need.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like the idea of condensing binders, but binders for ds8 don't seem to work too well. He's so rough and careless with the papers as he turns the pages or is taking them in and out that they easily tear and they're either sticking out of the binders or have fallen out and are missing.

I think something like those composition notebooks would work well for him. Before reading all the posts I actually looked at some at the 99 Cent Store today but couldn't figure out what I'd use them for. :001_smile: I think I'll revisit that idea but check out Target or Wal-Mart....I remember during back to school time they were selling them for $0.50 a piece....if not less than that.

krw

I use both binders and composition notebooks as well. All the narrations/journals go into the composition notebooks - history narration, science journal, free reading narration, etc. I then have binders for handwriting, grammar, spelling (this one is new since we just started SWO B), history workbook pages, and science labs. I bought lots of BIG binders this year since I'm new to the whole program, but I, too, find that they take up a lot of space and very likely will not be full by the end of the year, so I will probably consolidate the handwriting, grammar, and spelling into one here in the next week or two. Science and history have a lot more in them, so they will stay separate. Overall, though, I'm loving the method! I'm in a state that technically requires no reporting whatsoever, but just in case we ever move, I do plan to keep a good record of it all.

I described my binders already, but I wanted to mention that after more than ten years of homeschooling, I really see no need to keep every grammar, spelling and math lesson. I keep tests only. This limits how many binders I need.

When I have time, I'll cull. :-) Either that or when bookshelf space gets tight again!