Menu

Soap allergies ...

It seems like my daughter is allergic to just about every soap out there. I bought her Ivory and now it is making her eyes water and turn red. Other soaps give her a rash. I guess I will have to go back to buying her Baby soap. It seems to be the only soap she isn't allergic to. *sigh*

I feel your pain.

I wash my hands with plain water and a lot of scrubbing when I'm out and about.

I also became allergic to polyester 2 years ago. It does have one upside, though--I never get stuck carrying my children's stuffed animals! They know I can't, so they either carry them the whole time or don't bring them.

Have you tried Organic and/or Natural soaps? Sounds like you need to stay away from anything that has laurates/laureth products in them...almost all regular soaps, including Ivory has it. It's a harsh chemical and bad for the skin.

I would recommend California Baby or Daisy Blue Naturals. I promise you, it will make a world of difference on her skin.

hth

K

We havent used soap at all for years. Well, ever, actually. We dont even have any in the bathroom. I do have a pump bottle of castille soap at the sink but it is rarely used.

If you bathe daily, you simply don't need soap. It's a marketing ploy.

A good flannel will get most dirt off. We dont get "dirty" in that way, but I understand young kids do sometimes.

Guest Virginia Dawn
We havent used soap at all for years. Well, ever, actually. We dont even have any in the bathroom. I do have a pump bottle of castille soap at the sink but it is rarely used.

If you bathe daily, you simply don't need soap. It's a marketing ploy.

A good flannel will get most dirt off. We dont get "dirty" in that way, but I understand young kids do sometimes.

I stopped using soap two years ago. I just shower every day and use a washcloth. It's been great for my skin. I use a nail brush on my hands if they get imbedded dirt from gardening. One of my teenaged sons has stop using soap too, it helped greatly reduce his acne.

Another benefit: I don't need to use deodorant any more! That was an unexpected result. I did use it once this summer just to be on the safe side, when dh and I were going to a function. My armpits felt sticky and uncomfortable for almost week afterward. I don't mention the no deodorant in public. :D

Ds1 can't use most soaps out there. I usually just bathe him in water unless he's really dirty. Then I use a gentle soap that's made with just olive oil and coconut oil. I find these locally but there are many resources online for natural handmade soaps. I also use a pure African Black Soap with him sometimes. It is really gentle and uses no harsh chemicals in the processing. Blue House Soaps is a good 'homemade' type of soap that can be ordered online, but it usually takes a while for them to ship. Otherwise, California Baby Super Sensitive body wash is available at many health food stores, Whole Foods, and I've also seen it at Target.

I'd steer clear of big name commercially made soaps. They use chemicals and harsh ingredients that are really not good for anyone's skin.

Mr. Ellie is allergic to all soaps (he doesn't have your dd's severe reaction; his builds up over time). The only products we are able to use are Amway's. We use LOC at the sinks, the bath soap or liquid body soap in the showers, and only Amway laundry products. He was a mess before we started using Amway products, had been to several doctors, and it was a serendipity to find out that his skin problems cleared up when we started using those products.

I have a friend who is allergic to soap. She can only use the natural products (with no "soap," no laureths, etc). The only traditional commercial product she can use is the plain Arm & Hammer detergent. No Dove, no Ivory--no soap at all.

I did the no-shampoo for a while, but it's rough with super-hard water. :glare: