Menu

Halloween party/movie night for 11 -13 year old boys

I am having all the neighborhood boys in this age range over Halloween night. I think some will trick or treat first, but we are going to end up here at my house. It's a Saturday night, and I knew they would want to feel like they did something fun together.

Can anyone recommend some movies (or tv episodes?) that are Halloweeny or scary but that aren't gross/violent/s@xually explicit. That's a hard bill to fill, isn't it? It's kind of a tough audience - I doubt they will sit through any of the classic Hollywood horror oldies.

Any other activity suggestions?

I'll put in a plug for The Nightmare Before Christmas. I love Jack Skeleton wanting to take over Christmas. I don't think 11-13 yo boys would think it's too lame either. Another animated scary (but not too much) movie is Corpse Bride. It's similar to Nightmare in intensity, but not as specific to Halloween.

For games, may I suggest the Mummy Wrap. You wrap a victim, umm volunteer in a couple of rolls of toilet paper. It's lots of fun!

Another fun, traditional game is bobbing for apples. It's harder than it looks!

Have fun!

Not sure if you would be able to find it, but Nickelodean used to have a show called "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" It was a spooky half hour long show.

I haven't seen one in awhile, but I seem to remember them being free from obscene language and sexual references.

Maybe try Netflix?

If you can get it, we love "Mad Monster Party".

It is a Halloween tradition at our house! Everyone loves this movie. The claymation and storyline is great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Monster_Party

Here is a You Tube trailer:

You can get it on Amazon but if you look around you can find it cheaper or rent it. Blockbuster and Netflx have it.

Edited by 2cents

If you can get it, we love "Mad Monster Party".

It is a Halloween tradition at our house! Everyone loves this movie. The claymation and storyline is great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Monster_Party

Here is a You Tube trailer:

You can get it on Amazon but if you look around you can find it cheaper or rent it. Blockbuster and Netflx have it.

I think I saw it at Target!

These aren't all exactly Halloween movies but are kind of spooky/creepy. And are all appropriate for my five year olds so they'd be fine for bigger kids.

Addams Family

Hocus Pocus

Corpse Bride

It's not 100% clean, but what about Ghostbusters?

This is my all-time favorite movie! My kids have watched it and all of the sexy stuff goes right over their heads.

Some kids might like that hilarious Wallace & Grommit movie, "Curse of the Wererabbit". Adults would love it, though :) It's just silly, and well, Wallace & Grommit!

Have fun!

Oh yes. Another great movie. I'll have to dig that out to watch this month during our Saturday family movie night. This month we're watching Halloween movies.

Coraline? Very creepy, but not Halloween specific. My 9yo daughter loves it, along with Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.

Not sure if the 1983 "Something Wicked This Way Comes" would be appropriate or not (and haven't seen it in long enough that I need to preview it before I let my daughter watch it).

Old monster movies (from the 50s or before): Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy

Non-Halloween monster movies: one of the Godzilla movies, old B-grade sci-fi movies, etc.