Menu

A homeschool test WWYD question........

It was the end of our first grading term Friday. The kids have known this and we've had organized, communicated lists of things that needed to be done. I also announced, more than 3 weeks ahead of time, the reality of a Biology Test for Friday, Oct. 2.

My students range from 5th to 9th grade. The curriculum was Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of Real Science for Kids Biology. The tests were here: (pasting WTM link to give credit to generous homeschooler). We purchased and used the supplemental folder materials.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126500&highlight=rs4k

Well..........the highest score was a low C. The rest failed. I did grade the youngers more generously.

My *real* concern is that they know the material. However, I don't want to lift all consequences of having not studied for the tests. I was thinking of giving the test again, open book, and grading with a very strict outlook. But I don't think I want that grade to replace the original grade. I thought, maybe, of adding half the second grade to the score on the first grade and counting that. On one hand, they will better learn the material, they will still have some consequences of not having studied and yet their grade will improve. OTOH, that seems a bit arbitrary.

Thoughts?

I am a little hard core. I'd keep the grades you gave them. Somethimes a kick in the butt like a failing grade is enough to motivate students and let them know you mean business.

With that said, I personally would ensure that there were other ways to get their grades up so that the one failing test was not enough to fail the subject (or even get a C).

I'd be more concerned about the grade for a high school course than for one that won't end up on a transcript for college. So for the younger ones, I'd be okay with them keeping a low grade.

It may be worthwhile to correct all tests anyway (open book) so the kids get the correct answer while doing the work themselves.

If you're looking to raise the grade, I have (with some college students I teach at a cc) on rare occasions let them correct their test at home (open book), rework the problem and have it completely correct and gain back half credit on the problem. They also have to find where they went wrong initially.

Hang in there. I'd be really frustrated.

Two things. I would definitely make them retake the test. I guess I feel like my kids aren't getting out of my school without actually learning what is taught. It's not an option. So they would retest until they make acceptable grades - acceptable being determined on an individual level.

Second, how about you throw out the high and low grades for the semester? I've had a handful of classes over the years that operated that way. That way they have the opportunity to get it together and get rid of these grades by their own efforts. And they know that they only get one chance to blow it - they won't get a redo every time they just don't study.

How is this grade weighted? Is it 20% of the grade for the term? 50%?

Younger students shouldn't have heavily weighted finals. Older students should be getting used to the idea. I like for my eight grader to be getting accustomed to the idea of finals that count for 50% of her grade. She needs to understand the value of taking and keeping notes, as well as keeping track of old tests and quizzes for study. I wish I had placed more emphasis on this throughout middle school.

In the case of the 9th graders, you've got some hard choices. Is this grade going to show up on someone's high school transcript? Some eithical questions are involved here.

In general, I would hope that you have more grades in your grade book. Even for the upper grades, a 60% on a final weighted 50% and averaged in with quizzes and projects that average 85% should result in a C. Not ideal, but not awful either. It is reasonable to have the final exam worth about 20% of the final grade, with the understanding that future finals will be worth more.

I would plot the grades on the normal curve and analyze the results. I would also look to see if there were questions every student missed. Those questions can be dropped. By analyzing the statistics in various ways, useful information may emerge.

If they're going to retake the test "open book", make them work for it. They should each have to look up the information personally.

Some teachers give open note tests as opposed to open book tests. If you took comprehensive notes and recorded your experiments properly, then you're golden. Otherwise you're out of luck. This is a very effective way of developing good study habits in your class.

If most of the class failed, then they *don't* know the material. Being able to regurgitate information on a test isn't knowing the material, either.

If your goal is to teach them how to self-educate and pass a test on the material (a.k.a. college), then make the grade stick and continue as planned. However, if your goal is for you to teach them the material, you may need to reevaluate your method and/or curriculum. Something isn't working.

I think my biggest concern would be that the students clearly aren't understanding the material, period. You shouldn't have to 'study' right before a test to get a passing grade; there should be enough understanding of the material on a day-to-day basis to at least prevent failure.

So, that would leave me with two concerns: what to do about this test in particular, and how to address the issue for the future.

My memory is that even my tough teachers would take mass failure as a sign that something had gone awry, so I don't think it's necessarily coddling them to re-do the test. Some teachers had the policy of always disregarding the lowest and the highest test scores over the semester, and averaging the rest.

I'm personally not a fan of open-book tests, because a bright student who reads quickly could pass most open-book tests without going to a single class, kwim? And it doesn't indicate mastery of the material, imo. Some math/science teachers allow students to refer to certain formulas rather than memorize them, and I think that can make sense, but not complete open book.

Most importantly, I would try to figure out and address why the students aren't understanding or remembering the material. What sort of give-and-take is there in class? Is there enough time for discussion? Frequent, short quizzes are another way to test mastery, rather than waiting for one big test. You don't even need to include the grades; quizzes can just be more of a 'heads-up' on what they do and don't know.

I do think that 5th through 9th grades is a very wide range, and probably makes the class much harder to teach. And have these kids taken tests before? If not, that might be one factor.

It would depend on why they failed.

Did they not give correct answers?

Did they not follow directions?

Did they not write the answers in a format you deem appropriate?

Did you dock them for spelling or grammatical errors?

Did they skip questions?

It is very common for homeschoolers to not know how to take a test given by someone other than mom/dad. I used to work in a homeschool/public school hybrid that had 200+ students K-12 and it was an overwhelming common problem at the beginning of each year.

If they didn't give correct answers, then they didn't know the material. If it was one or two students...that is different....the entire class, there is some break down occurring. Having a study guide, filled in throughout the course, can help to highlight the most important information. Study guide format should be similar to the test format. I don't agree with it matching too much though.

If it was test format/directions that caused the errors, they need to have more practice in the same format. Teach them how to take the test, and then use similar testing styles in quizzes/homework to build their test taking strategies. If you expect complete sentences, show them how to answer in a complete sentence restating the question and answer in one.

If it was spelling/grammatical errors, make your expectations clear. I agree with docking minor points for sloppiness but not full points on a correct answer with an inverted i and e.

If they skipped questions without even trying, then I would instruct them to at least try each question and then reward them with a point or two for each correct bit.

Moving to the future: I would take 10 minutes of you next class periods and introduce testing strategies. You can use your current material, and just use the questions as a springboard/getting settled question each morning. A 3-4 minute question, self graded, along with a discussion of what would be a correct answer. Passed forward for an extra credit point or for a daily work grade is very appropriate. I had one teacher who allowed the lowest test grade each quarter to be thrown out, and replaced with an extra credit project. That way the people who really wanted to up their grade could, but those who didn't want to, didn't have to.

For this test I would go over the correct answers in class, with examples of what a correct answer would look like for each grade, a printed copy of this should be sent home for each parent to sign/be made aware of. Assuming that each child has a textbook/reference book or packet... I then would give them a blank test, let them take it home and rewrite the correct answers. Give them 1/2 credit back for each problem correctly answered.

I would be gracious with this first test. First tests by any teacher are always difficult. Everyone writes them differently and has different expectations. I wouldn't throw it out (that isn't teaching them anything for the future) but help them identify what went wrong and work through the problems for the future.

I would view this as them not knowing the material, and just redo the whole unit. Then the test comes along again and they try again. Also talk to them if they are having trouble and see what you can do to help.

I'm wondering why a 5th grader and 9th grader are studying the same material. Maybe it's too hard for the 5th grader or too easy for the 9th grader?

I'm wondering why a 5th grader and 9th grader are studying the same material. Maybe it's too hard for the 5th grader or too easy for the 9th grader?

The curriculum is written for younger than the 9th graders. The 9th graders are actually taking an additional outsourced Biology class (and did, of course, score the highest of the dismal grades).

The material is meaty enough to engage and include the 9th graders and graspable for the youngers.

I'm thinking about the other feedback. Thank you for the posts so far!

Well, if I gave them a second shot at the test, I think I'd let them study again and retake the test closed-book. Then, I'd do something along the lines of what you are thinking -- allow the second grade to be factored in with the first, not replace it.

I'd be in favor of a test retake not to be soft, but to give them another chance to master the material before moving on.

I would probably do another closed book test and average the two grades. Another option would be to assign them extra credit work from the chapters covered with any points earned being applies to the test grade.

I would also stress that this is a one time deal and you will not be so generous again.

Are you giving the same test to the lower grades and the upper grades? Would it help to create 2 separate tests for upper/lower grades? I know the Biology I am teaching my 9th grader would be too difficult for a 5th grader. If it helps, I had my son understand weighted grading and how a test would be 50% of his grade. There were times in Junior High he didn't do so great on a test or grade. I didn't change the test or grade. But it sure made him work harder for a better grade! Now that he is a 9th grader... he takes studying for a test pretty seriously. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

It was the end of our first grading term Friday. The kids have known this and we've had organized, communicated lists of things that needed to be done. I also announced, more than 3 weeks ahead of time, the reality of a Biology Test for Friday, Oct. 2.

My students range from 5th to 9th grade. The curriculum was Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of Real Science for Kids Biology. The tests were here: (pasting WTM link to give credit to generous homeschooler). We purchased and used the supplemental folder materials.

[url]http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126500&highlight=rs4k[/url]

Thoughts?

Not to hi-jack the thread, but could you re-post the link for the tests. I got an error message-page not found, and I couldn't find it when I searched the forums. TIA!

I'm guessing it is a problem of either not knowing the material or not knowing how to test.

In the science class I'm teaching this year my students make their own study guides based on each chapter. They also have taken notes on the ones we did as lecture/discussion. They outlined any material we did not get to in class. During our labs, I make sure that the concepts are tied into the book work as best I can through review and discussion. It's a lot of info and I want to make sure they handle it in as many different ways as possible.

We've spent as much time on how-to-study as the material, which is actually pretty easy, lol. I taught them the Cornell Method of note taking and they really took off. Now mind you I've got 8th-10th graders in my classes so ymmv. :001_smile:

I do have much the same problem in my Latin class (Henle I) as you are having. I have tried every way I know help with the grade issue, but the root issue is that they are not studying ENOUGH. I've offered to drop grades, made the tests easier, told them EXACTLY what is on the test. I feel that I can't grade on the curve 'cause 1 student is getting close to 100% on all of the tests, lol. So my grades have to stand, and they have to get their act together, lol. I would not take this road with 5th graders, however, until you are sure that the problem is just plain old not putting in the time!

hth,

Georgia