Menu

Knitting question. How do you keep track where you've stopped in a pattern?

Okay I'm a brand new knitter. So I'm following a pattern using two colours. Every time I stop I think I'm going to remember where I left off but apparently I never do.

I've unraveled my project so many times my son is poking fun at me.

Experienced knitters, how do you keep track of where you are on a pattern? I'm sure there's an obvious answer that I am just not seeing.

Okay I'm a brand new knitter. So I'm following a pattern using two colours. Every time I stop I think I'm going to remember where I left off but apparently I never do.

I've unraveled my project so many times my son is poking fun at me.

Experienced knitters, how do you keep track of where you are on a pattern? I'm sure there's an obvious answer that I am just not seeing.

It helps me to keep track what row I'm on by saying silly things like

1 pumpkin

2 zebras

3 elephants

4 apples

I remember the mental picture. And I never stop mid row or I'd loose my mind. :)

Yes, what CalicoKat and Arsenik said--- don't stop mid-row! Complete a row, and then keep track of what row you stopped on. I keep a little notebook in my knitting bag, and when I put my knitting down I jot down the date (or date and time, if I think I"ll go back to it that same day) and what row to START on. In other words, if I quit after row 18 of a 32 row of a lace pattern or a cable pattern such as I'm working on now, I write "9/29/09 Row 19" That way when I pick it up again, I just start on Row 19 of the pattern.

You'll get to know the pattern, too, and it will become easier to tell where you left off. What are you working on? And are you on Ravelry? If not, you've gotta get there! ravelry.com. It's amazing!

Hope that helps!

astrid

I use a row counter if it's a pattern where I can keep track of rows. I bought one from the local yarn shop for about $1. Very helpful.

I also will make a check mark on my pattern to show what I have completed if that works better than a counter. (depending on what the pattern is you know?)

Also YES! Never stop mid row!! yikes!!!

Have fun and I second "ya gotta get to Ravelry"

If I get pestered in the middle of a row that requires me to keep track of what I'm doing I say to my kiddo, "Let me get to the end of the row." And I start counting aloud so they can hear where my stitches are at. It seems to help them wait more patiently. :D

Generally I pick up my needles only at night after they're tucked in bed. It reduces my frustration.

I can't tell you what I'm knitting because you'll laugh that I needed to ask that question for such a simple project (a dish rag with a pattern and two colours). I am just starting out and really, really like knitting and really, really want to learn how to do it well. In a previous thread I read "everyone can knit but only some are great knitters" (paraphrased). I want to do it well.

Any suggestions for my next project?

I can't tell you what I'm knitting because you'll laugh that I needed to ask that question for such a simple project (a dish rag with a pattern and two colours). I am just starting out and really, really like knitting and really, really want to learn how to do it well. In a previous thread I read "everyone can knit but only some are great knitters" (paraphrased). I want to do it well.

socks. :D you'll never stop . . . they're very addicting.

Why are they addicting? Easy to knit or great to wear?

cuz you're gonna feel so clever knitting with 4 needles at once. :D

They're nice gifts too. My kids usually have worn holes in their Christmas socks by the end of the season. Warm and fun looking

I knit tube socks with a spiral pattern (Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick). You can find the pattern for free on the internet. No heel to turn so it's just getting used to using dpns at first.

Looks hard, really very easy, and you look like and feel like a pro!

cuz you're gonna feel so clever knitting with 4 needles at once. :D

They're nice gifts too. My kids usually have worn holes in their Christmas socks by the end of the season. Warm and fun looking

I knit tube socks with a spiral pattern (Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick). You can find the pattern for free on the internet. No heel to turn so it's just getting used to using dpns at first.

Looks hard, really very easy, and you look like and feel like a pro!

But now I'm intrigued so I guess I'll have to plan that project next.

Thanks.

socks. :D you'll never stop . . . they're very addicting.

:iagree:

I really only knit socks now. Part of it is my obsessive personality where I like something and get stuck on it. But socks have some real advantages.

• They teach you all sorts of interesting techniques that you can use for other projects, assuming you ever tear yourself away from the socks. And you feel really clever while you are doing it. It is like a little miracle every time they turn out right! ;)

• They have the most incredible, affordable sock yarn. You can make a REALLY nice pair of socks out of REALLY nice yarn for $10 ($20 for the really luxury stuff, maybe $5 for the cheaper stuff). This is a lot of bang for your entertainment knitting buck, and much less than a sweater.

• They are portable. You can take them anywhere, unlike a bulky sweater of afghan.

Buy acrylic or bamboo DPNs, because they are lighter and easier to use and you need the "give." Buy superwash wool or blend yarn, because it is hard to remember to handwash socks and it is heartbreaking when something you have worked so hard on shrinks. I really like KnitPicks.com for yarn, books and supplies, and the internet is usually by far the cheapest place to get sock yarn. Get a good sock knitting book (I like Yarn Harlot for the basics and Sensational Socks for more advanced techniques).

ETA: Sorry! I am sure that this is way more than you wanted to know! I guess I get a little carried away with sock knitting.

No, no! We won't laugh! I've been knitting for about 2 years and am now just starting to really feel comfortable and willing to branch out into more than the basics.

For your next project, have you ever seen the Lion Brand yarn catalog? Dear heavens, I received one last winter and had projects coming out of the woodwork!

What is so nice about their catalog is that each pattern is rated beginner, easy, easy+, easy/intermediate, and so on. They also tell you how yarn and what type you will need. Many of their patterns are free, too.

I've just recently received their new catalog and there are so many cute and easy projects - blankets, throws, easy baby sweaters, etc. You can go online to their site, too. http://lionbrand.com/

hth!

:iagree:

I really only knit socks now. Part of it is my obsessive personality where I like something and get stuck on it. But socks have some real advantages.

• They teach you all sorts of interesting techniques that you can use for other projects, assuming you ever tear yourself away from the socks. And you feel really clever while you are doing it. It is like a little miracle every time they turn out right! ;)

• They have the most incredible, affordable sock yarn. You can make a REALLY nice pair of socks out of REALLY nice yarn for $10 ($20 for the really luxury stuff, maybe $5 for the cheaper stuff). This is a lot of bang for your entertainment knitting buck, and much less than a sweater.

• They are portable. You can take them anywhere, unlike a bulky sweater of afghan.

Buy acrylic or bamboo DPNs, because they are lighter and easier to use and you need the "give." Buy superwash wool or blend yarn, because it is hard to remember to handwash socks and it is heartbreaking when something you have worked so hard on shrinks. I really like KnitPicks.com for yarn, books and supplies, and the internet is usually by far the cheapest place to get sock yarn. Get a good sock knitting book (I like Yarn Harlot for the basics and Sensational Socks for more advanced techniques).

ETA: Sorry! I am sure that this is way more than you wanted to know! I guess I get a little carried away with sock knitting.

Although I'm fearing a transfer of addictions from curriculum to knitting stuff! :001_smile:

No, no! We won't laugh! I've been knitting for about 2 years and am now just starting to really feel comfortable and willing to branch out into more than the basics.

For your next project, have you ever seen the Lion Brand yarn catalog? Dear heavens, I received one last winter and had projects coming out of the woodwork!

What is so nice about their catalog is that each pattern is rated beginner, easy, easy+, easy/intermediate, and so on. They also tell you how yarn and what type you will need. Many of their patterns are free, too.

I've just recently received their new catalog and there are so many cute and easy projects - blankets, throws, easy baby sweaters, etc. You can go online to their site, too. http://lionbrand.com/

hth!

I'll check it out. (I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in teaching school with knitting! School is really infringing on this new hobby of mine! :001_smile:

LionBrand catalog is a good idea. The patterns are also available on their website. I've been working on the LionBrand Cable Throw afghan. It's super easy and a good way to practice cables (not difficult at all!). It looks very impressive because it's so large and bulky. I plan on giving the afghan to my in-laws for Christmas.

There are patterns available online for knitted squares which individually teach different techniques but can all then be joined together to create an afghan, lap blanket or cushion cover.

I've only been knitting since June so it's all still a lot of fun trying different things to get the hang of various techniques:

Bath Mitt (current project) - Practice knitting with double strand of cotton which has very little give or stretch in the yarn, creating a thumb gusset, seaming.

Cable throw - Large knitted piece, cables, moss stitch

Self-patterned headband - increase/decrease in a different way, buttonhole. Ribbed hat - rib stitch, adding another colour stripe, knitting in the round, decreasing and closing top of hat.

Felted cat bed - Dyed the wool myself with food coloring, knitting in the round (larger piece), felting.

Bookmarks - Knitting on such tiny needles with lace weight yarn, lace patterns with all their stitch requirements (ssk, YO, etc)

Cat toys - small and very quick. Fun for learning new stitch techniques without much worry for a misplaced stitch. Cats don't care! :)

Next up will be either a pair of socks or mittens, and helping dd (a non-knitter) knit a hat. That should be fun... I hope. *heh heh*

Happy Knitting!