Menu

what to use for american history?

skissugar

I think I am going to step away from SOTW books 3 and 4 and just focus directly on American History. But.. I am not sure what to use.. ourlosbanos, winterpromise, and sonlight all peak my interest.. but wanted to get some reviews and or ideas from you all.. my kids will be 3rd and 7th grade next year.. I am already having to split up science I really want to keep history together if I can.. any ideas?

christina

I think that "Story of the 13 Colonies" and "Story of the New Republic" do a good job for maybe 3-6th grade. They cover the era through 1899 or so. You could supplement with the Jean Fritz books for younger students.

For 7th grade, though, I think that although they are good, they are really too easy to stand alone. You could supplement with All American History, but it's not as engaging. We tried AAH1 in 5th grade and found the vocabulary pretty challenging (and DD had a good vocabulary for her age) and also the way that each chapter started with boring bios and background instead of the story itself was stultifying. AAH2 is better, I think. I can see that the author of AAH is probably a very good teacher--a good story teller can give all that background orally and then swing into the text pretty engagingly, but to read the book was pretty grim, and retention was just terrible. YMMV.

Another option for the 7th grader would be to start with the 'story' texts and then add Hakim's books. I think that that would actually work out pretty well.

Do you want a 1 year or 2 year? We *loved* SL Core 3 and did a speedy version of 4... I wished that I had done the 3+4 in one year, but that's just me. It would be perfect for your 3rd grader. You could add in History of Us for your 7th grader... many of the read-alouds and readers would still be fun for this age (although some are just way too young). You could also do a combo of core 100/ 3+4.

We've been through several SL cores and 3 is my favorite by far.

Is this a secular or providential/Christian-focused history program? From what I can see of the samples online and the review I found, it looks like it would be secular, but I can't tell for sure.

The author is Christian but the curriculum is neither providential nor triumphalist. However, it doesn't exclude the Christian beliefs of historical figures when they are relevant to the story as many other references do--so I actually think it makes it more accurate from an objective standpoint.

We used SOTW 1 & 2 previously and switched to Sonlight for the first time this year. It is wonderful! We are using Core 3 and my kids are in grade 3 and grade 4.

I must say that I am thinking of getting SOTW3, just the audio, for the kids to listen to in the car. We all love history and I did really love SOTW but SOTW3 seemed *too* much for this year.

All the best,

Trish

We used SOTW 1 & 2 previously and switched to Sonlight for the first time this year. It is wonderful! We are using Core 3 and my kids are in grade 3 and grade 4.

I must say that I am thinking of getting SOTW3, just the audio, for the kids to listen to in the car. We all love history and I did really love SOTW but SOTW3 seemed *too* much for this year.

All the best,

Trish

That's a good idea! I love the audio versions of these. I have the book, but never seem to get to reading it (could be I've added enough? :tongue_smilie:)