Menu

Homeschooler-yes or no???

She's enrolled in an accredited diploma providing school that fulfills her legal compulsory attendance requirements, and you don't file the paperwork to create your own private school in CA, and you aren't using a CA Charter school....

But i'd double check with the counselors at K12 - you are paying for them, use them! (i read they offer that on the website! :lol: )

No, she is enrolled in the academy. You pay for that academy the same as you pay for private school. If you were just using the curriculum, you'd be homeschooling. There is a difference.

She's getting THEIR curriculum and eventually THEIR diploma. She's THEIR student.

It is important not to blur the lines between school at home and homeschooling.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I havent filed any papers.

FYI--even though your dc is enrolled with that school, you still need to file a private school affidavit. In Calif, children must be enrolled in a public school or a private school or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher. Private schools must file a PSA annually; technically, your dd is truant, since you haven't filed the PSA. The PSA is filed between October 1 and 15, online, and it's free. Here's the link.

FYI--even though your dc is enrolled with that school, you still need to file a private school affidavit. In Calif, children must be enrolled in a public school or a private school or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher. Private schools must file a PSA annually; technically, your dd is truant, since you haven't filed the PSA. The PSA is filed between October 1 and 15, online, and it's free. Here's the link.

Since they are doing her attendance and they have many Cal students, you dont think they already take care of that.

I just heard a speaker mention that in TX hs is considered a private school. She said it is okay to check the private school box on the college apps. Since some colleges require additional documentation for homeschoolers you can skip that extra step by checking the private school box.

Sounds to me that the private school would file the PSA, not the student.

Since they are doing her attendance and they have many Cal students, you dont think they already take care of that.

I would not assume that.

Is this "academy" a private school that you pay, or is it a government-funded public school program? If it's the former, it is not likely that they file an affidavit; you need to call and ask to be sure. If it's the latter, then it's a public school, and your dc is legally considered a public school student, not a homeschooler, and you don't have to worry about it.

Yes, if it is an accredited school you do not need to file with the state. And I think that answers the ? as to if you are homeschooling or not. :)

That is not true.

California only "recongizes" private schools which file private school affidavit in the state. If, for example, someone enrolled her dc in ABeka Academy, which is accredited, she would still have to file her own private school affidavit in Calif (or enroll with a California-based Private School Satellite Program).

ETA: To put it another way, using verbage from the California Ed. Code (Section 48222 of the Ed. Code), a student is exempt from public school attendance if he is tutored full time by a credentialed teacher or he is enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit in the state of California.

Edited by Ellie

Sounds to me that the private school would file the PSA, not the student.

The private school would do that only if it were actually based in California.

Distance-learning schools do not have the resources to find out and comply with homeschooling laws in all 50 states. It is up to the parents to do so.