Menu

OPGTR ?

newlifemom

In Ln 188 it teaches "forest" with an 'ar' sound instead of an 'or'. I am guessing that it has been long mispronounced. My dd (5) is an excellent reader, but this really threw her off. We went online and can see that indeed it should be more of an 'ar' sound, but with everyone I know saying it as 'or' and her kind of freaking out over trying to pronounce it so differently [she doesn't get that is more of a nuance and not a hard 'arrrrr' sound] would it be wise to just let it go? She got that sorrow and borrow should be pronounced this way b/c it isn't regularly mispronounced like forest or foreign. What say the hive?

I'd let it go. I think it may also depend on local speech where it was written. I seen one book try to tell us a bagel was a short 'a' sound. As for forest, I know a lot of people use 'a' for 'o' sounds. I really noticed as people pointed out our 'o' sounds when we were in the US. Words like process.

We also just did this chapter. This is not the first time that our pronunciation has differed from that used in the book. Since my wife shudders at some of the pronunciations I use, I won't recount the others. Of the five words in the current lesson, neither my wife nor I pronounce forest, foreign, or orange with the sound proposed by OPGTR. So I told my daughter that not everyone pronounces these words the same and our family uses the "or" in door sound for these words, but that we use the "ar" in car sound for borrow and sorrow.

I wish OPGTR explicitly noted more regional variations.

• 2 weeks later...
Of the five words in the current lesson, neither my wife nor I pronounce forest, foreign, or orange with the sound proposed by OPGTR. So I told my daughter that not everyone pronounces these words the same and our family uses the "or" in door sound for these words, but that we use the "ar" in car sound for borrow and sorrow.

Exactly the same as how we pronounce them. Though maybe we are pronouncing "door" differently!;)

OPGTR threw us when it said to pronounce "the" as "thee".

I remember being taught this in school - and later figuring out on my own that there were appropriate times in reading to say /thuh/ and other times to say /thee/.

As far as the pronunciations in OPGTR, I've had to modify a handful of them. I'm not to lesson 188 yet, but reading what you wrote made me laugh really hard. My grandmother, from the east coast, would have called it a 'farest'. I, from the west coast (sorta) have only ever called it a 'forest'.

We totally ditched the /hw/ sound. No one - no one - I know actually pronounces any /hw/ words with an /hw/. When is /wen/ with a nice, hard /w/. I was afraid if he went around sounding hoity-toity with a /hw/ he might get decked.

I recently had a time with the oo sound. Some of the supposedly long-oo sounds were words we pronounce with a short-oo, and vice-versa. (It's a rooooof!)

There were maybe two others I read and went "Whaaaa???". I just let them slide. It's not as if he won't get a good grounding in phonics just because I taught a few minor pronunciations differently.

Edited by CookieMonster

I think that the reason behind the the/thee thing is because the word the belongs to a word family of one syllable words ending in e that all take the long sound: me, we, he, she, be, the. So they learn it like that and then later learn that it is pronounced with a schwa sound in front of consonant words.

I'm loving the book, but I run into heaps of little glitches as a result of not speaking American English. Fast and last had to be skipped because we say them with an ah sound, for example. I also find myself 'translating' the different words that are used, eg den is a room in the house, whereas for us it is only an animal's home. Of course, this process is in itself educational. The other day, my 6yo said "Oh, look, this book must be American, it says Mom!"