Menu

need first aid advice

My daughter just got hurt. She sharpened her pencil and was walking back to the table when she somehow managed to gouge her palm with it. Its long, and deeper than a scrape, but not bleeding. There's graphite all in the wound and although I cleaned her hand I can't get it out.

Does anyone know of a good way to clean her palm? My husband's suggestion was to just leave it there, but I'm not wild about that. I know graphite isn't going to poison her or anything, but it doesn't belong inside our skin. I also don't love the thought of going to a doctor for something so simple. So I'm at a loss here.

I have a graphite scar on my hand.

Oddly enough, I'm kind of fond of the small marks I've acquired.

Yes, I know I'm strange. :tongue_smilie:

Aside from gentle cleansing and perhaps application of Neosporin, I think I'd just leave your daughter's hand alone. If it was in a location that could be disfiguring (I dunno, on her face maybe?), I'd see a dermatologist for advice. I'd not make any attempt to do any deep cleansing of the wound without a physician's input first.

My daughter just got hurt. She sharpened her pencil and was walking back to the table when she somehow managed to gouge her palm with it. Its long, and deeper than a scrape, but not bleeding. There's graphite all in the wound and although I cleaned her hand I can't get it out.

chunks or just smears?

If the latter, I'd smear it with Ab oint and cover with telfa for the night.