Menu

How to register PSAT test?

We paid money to our district high school to register PSAT Test for our 10th grader son on Sept 21. The school is just holding it for now. The school said that, until the registration date is over for current juniors on October 3rd, they would not know if there will be a place for any 10th graders like our son. If they say on October 3rd "sorry", then he can not take the test. Is there any way we can make sure reserving the seat for PSAT test?

I got the same response from my local public school's guidance department two years ago. Not wanting to learn at the last moment that there was no spot available for dd, I called around to other schools. A private Christian school in town was more than willing to guarantee spots to homeschoolers. I'd keep trying if I were you!

~Kathy

I got the same response from my local public school's guidance department two years ago. Not wanting to learn at the last moment that there was no spot available for dd, I called around to other schools. A private Christian school in town was more than willing to guarantee spots to homeschoolers. I'd keep trying if I were you!

~Kathy

Thank you, Kathy !

I agree with the recommendations to try another school. Our local high school was uncooperative as well - the guidance office didn't return three phone calls. I found another school that was very accommodating.

I believe what happens is the school orders the tests in the summer, and they only receive a finite amount. In this case, their students are allowed to sign up until October 3 (or 5 or whatever), and the homeschooled students get the leftovers, if any are available. I don't feel this policy is fair, whatever the reason!

It is getting kind of late to sign up - I hope you find a school to test your students!

GardenMom

My previous experiences with schools in three areas weren't like this at all. With this year, I was told to come in on Sept. 30th and register her with my check. THat is what I am planning to do. This one is not as good a test taker as her brother so I am not thinking semi-finalist here. IF there is a problem, I will visit other schools.

Their policy was to seat as many students as wanted to sign up, but as a hs'er I had to stay on top of all the details. Our school does not order until just after Labor day. The guidance counselor was very busy with other things, and I found out pretty quickly that some of the people covering for her didn't really know school policy. Even so, we found the school generally willing to be helpful.

I agree that it's getting late, and there are things that can go wrong with the process (see below), so I second the advice to find another school which will be more helpful. If that's not possible, is there any way you can get past the first-line clerical school employees and talk to the person who's in charge? For us, that made all the difference.

Long story, so I'll give the short version; the school had planned on the Saturday test day, but were shipped Wed. materials instead. There was not enough time to correct the mistake so the school went ahead on Wednesday. I got a call from the guidance counselor on Tuesday morning with the news. After peeling myself off the ceiling and thanking her for taking the time to call me, we took the morning off so ds could assemble his backpack and then did one full-length real-time practice test after lunch.

There have been times when ds' extremely laid-back attitude toward school has annoyed me, but in that case it was a good thing. He told me that several people were so unnerved and upset by the change that they either did not start or stopped during testing. He figured that one day was as good as another for the test.

When my dd wanted to take the PSAT last fall, we could not find a single school willing to let her take it. Sadly, the public high school closest to us (which is actually in a very poor area), acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about! Another public school AND a private school I called told me that they would rather *not* have homeschoolers test with them as they "would hate to have their results *skewed* for their school". I have to laugh now, and I hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but my daughter is a National Merit Semi-Finalist...and those schools had NONE. So, yeah, I'm glad she didn't *skew* their results!!

Anyway, HSLDA told me that the schools are not *required* to let homeschoolers test. I finally thought to call an umbrella school in the next state and they graciously allowed her to test with them.

It really is ridiculous!

Wow, I'm amazed at the difficulty so many of you are having. It seems outrageous that the local public school can deny anybody a seat - after all, SATs are neither a regular or extracurricular part of their mission, but more like an additional service provided for those who want it. Being a resident of the town should be enough.

One of my kids took the PSAT a couple of years ago, and in our experience it was the local private schools that were limited to enrolled students. The public school was very accommodating - nice guidance counselor signed him up and told us to bring the check the day of the test. We just signed up another one of our kids today and had the same experience.

Maybe it's harder to get a seat for 10th graders? My kids haven't been taking it until 11th grade.

Wow, I'm amazed at the difficulty so many of you are having. It seems outrageous that the local public school can deny anybody a seat
I'm no apologist for the public schools, but this problem isn't about getting a "seat". It's about getting a test. The schools can't even guarantee every ps student a test. That's because, as we've explained, they must order the tests in advance and must estimate how many they need. I suppose it could be argued, though, that the tests should be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of where the student attends school. I'm not surprised that the schools don't see it that way, though. Edited by Janet in WA

Thank you all for sharing your experiences regarding PSAT registraton. It's new to us, so we are learning. I called another public school. Then they were too easy in this matter unlikely our own district high school. They just welcomed us to come in and sign up. And we did. I asked "that's it?" repeatedly. That was it ! Wow, school districts are so different.

Now, I feel, along with pencils and calculator, homeschool student should bring ID with. Right?

I'm not apologist for the public schools, but this problem isn't about getting a "seat". It's about getting a test. The schools can't even guarantee every ps student a test. That's because, as we've explained, they must order the tests in advance and must estimate how many they need. I suppose it could be argued, though, that the tests should be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of where the student attends school. I'm not surprised that the schools don't see it that way, though.

When I first started thinking about having ds take the PSAT I was not aware of how it is different in some important ways from taking the ACT or SAT at the same location. When you sign up for the ACT or SAT you do not sign up through the school. Payment, registration, and the admission ticket are routed through the SAT or ACT organizations; the school is simply the testing site and they have to serve everyone who presents a valid, properly substantiated admission ticket.

The situation with the PSAT is different. The school is in charge, and they are ordering, paying for, and administering the PSAT for their own students. The procedure is going to reflect that. Having "outsiders" involved does add complications on top of the requirements put on them for administering the tests to their own students. I tried to look at things from the school p.o.v. as well as my own.

Added thought: My first attempts to get information went nowhere. Once I figured out to ask for the secretary in the guidance office, though, things went better. My best advice is to do your own homework first, talk to the right person, and say thank you...it may not help with some but it doesn't hurt!

Edited by Martha in NM
add info

When I first started thinking about having ds take the PSAT I was not aware of how it is different in some important ways from taking the ACT or SAT at the same location. When you sign up for the ACT or SAT you do not sign up through the school. Payment, registration, and the admission ticket are routed through the SAT or ACT organizations; the school is simply the testing site and they have to serve everyone who presents a valid, properly substantiated admission ticket.

Hi Martha, thank you so much for bring this issue. I am 100% with you. I am pretty new to homeschooling. My son was in ps until 8th. He began homeschool as a 9th last year. He then faced problem right away when he need to take AP tests. Although he prepared taking several APs as a 9th, our district school allowed him none of AP test, and he took only two from another school. Now here is PSAT test for us. Again, he has similar problem again with our district school. But another (public) school in other district was so kind to him to sign up with no problem at all. This year will be a big challenge for us, as he has several AP tests ready to take. Although I do not want to think about it now, I do have serious concern when local school take charge some tests. If we homeschoolers can not take tests simply because we can not find schools to allow testing, I wonder if there is anyone still think it's fair.

Although I do not want to think about it now, I do have serious concern when local school take charge some tests. If we homeschoolers can not take tests simply because we can not find schools to allow testing, I wonder if there is anyone still think it's fair.

First, I'm glad that you've been able to find another school willing to work with your son. AP exams take a lot of work; I wish you success!

I believe tax-supported schools ought to make their services available to those who need them, but sometimes that's easier said than done. I did not have much luck talking to the school secretaries. The guidance counselor and her secretary were more helpful, but only after they saw that I was willing to work within her guidelines and wasn't asking for special favors. I talked to the counselor on the phone and made an appointment for a personal visit. I said "thank you" to her and her secretary more than once. I don't know if that helped, but it didn't hurt.

I do have serious concern when local school take charge some tests. If we homeschoolers can not take tests simply because we can not find schools to allow testing, I wonder if there is anyone still think it's fair.

It's problematic, because what incentive is there to include homeschoolers if they'd rather not be bothered, particularly if they can easily turn people away by simply telling them that they didn't order enough tests? I don't know what the price structure is (we do pay a fee to take the PSAT) but as taxpayers, we already subsidize whatever $$ the school kicks in (if any?). Ordering enough tests to include homeschoolers shouldn't be an insurmountable difficulty.

A local school charging non-attending students to take the PSAT? A friend of mine called the local school district (same district we live in) and they were told that yes, her son was welcome to take the PSAT at the school but his scores has to be reported to the school and she had to pay an additional fee on top of the fee for the PSAT.

I'm not sure what she did about it or whether he will be taking the PSAT there. I need to ask her about that. I do know that he would be taking it as "practice" for next year.

I wonder why they don't do the PSAT the way the do the SAT/ACT. Seems it would be simpler/easier for the schools and for the students.

Sue

Taking just one test at a time, like PSAT, seems can be solved by contacting as many schools as you need to find just one school to let you sign up. But if your dc are preparing several AP tests in May, be very careful. According to our experience last year, there is real chance you can not take some AP tests you prepared due to finding school problem for the test.

You know, I didn't think to do this myself years ago, but it's never too late for me to tell others what to do. :001_smile:

Anyway, I would suggest that homeschoolers who experience problems accessing the PSAT exam report the problems to the College Board. Perhaps if they get enough complaints (and realize they are losing $$ for every homeschooled student who is turned away by a school), they will change their procedure for registering for the PSAT. I don't know why the PSAT is handled differently from the SAT.

I am dreading signing my dd2 (only in 8th this year). She has type 1 diabetes and so needs "special accommodations" for testing -- access to food and her blood testing equipment, etc. She will have to test in a room with only those people who have the same accommodations she does.

Luckily for us, Virginia has a law requiring the public school systems to allow homeschoolers to take exams like the PSAT and AP's, but we have already had to ask for HSLDA's help in forcing our school system to offer a particular AP exam to ds1.

Dealing with special accommodations should be interesting...........

Didn't read any replies (and don't have time) so what I say may be a repeat. (sorry in advance)

In my area, it is recommended by others who have gone before me to go to a private school and register for the PSATs and SATs. They said that they had problems going through public schools (this is Indiana by the way!!)

Holly

I am dreading signing my dd2 (only in 8th this year).

Luckily for us, Virginia has a law requiring the public school systems to allow homeschoolers to take exams like the PSAT and AP's, but we have already had to ask for HSLDA's help in forcing our school system to offer a particular AP exam to ds1.

Gwen, hope you find with right special accommodations for your 8th dd's PSAT test. Even without any accommodations needed, finding PSAT test place here is not automatic. But I eventually found one school for my son's PSAT. That's still okay. But I do worry about AP tests in May. As we were new to homeschooling last year, I was very nervous in finding AP test place when my 9th grader was ready for taking several APs including AP Calculus and AP Music Theory. He did take just two APs then. This year he can be ready for up to 10 AP tests if he wants...combination of, 7 AP subjects for current study this year and 3 AP subjects he decided not to take last year. I do not want to think now about this finding testing problem as it would definitely discourage him to study. I only hope that, when local schools get authority from College Board to handle those tests---PSAT & AP, the College Board should make sure any one can be allowed to take tests.