Menu

Questions about natural remedies...

We are having a terrible time with our allergies this year. Guatemala is experiencing a drought and that means a rise in pollen and dust that usually is settled this time of year. It also means that during the "dry" season, it will be a lot worse since it isn't supposed to rain for at least 6 moths.

I'm a little concerned about it. Before we would just take a claritin and be done because we only had to do it about once a week or so--no big deal. But, I don't want to do that everyday.

I need to know what to do about itchy eyes, sneezing, congestion, coughing, itchy skin, sinus headaches, and just plain sleeplessness from misery in general.

I'm doing chamomile tea with organic honey at night. What else? HELP!!!!!

My sister told me about the following combo in the spring. It worked really well for me (and for her), but I stopped using it when I found out I was pg, and suffered through most of the summer. :glare:

1-2 capsules of AllerLeaf (don't remember the brand name...maybe Gaia Herbs or something like that...works better than just nettle alone) and 3-6 tablets of Bi Yan Pian (by Plum Flower Brand...you need to be really careful w/ Chinese medicinals, because some brands contain pharmaceutical or toxic compounds...I would personally only buy Plum Flower brand stuff.) I took this twice a day, and it worked better for me than Claritin ever has. Plus, it didn't make me tired. (I know Claritin is supposed to be non-drowsy, but it always makes me want to sleep.) I also use local raw honey, but that doesn't seem to do much for my allergies.

HTH

It actually washes the allergens and congestion out of your nose and nasel sinusses. Used about once a day it can be pretty effective, and it's just hot salt water, really, so it's quite natural.

When I was a kid we used Bryonia for a homeopathic allergy treatment, but I don't remember it working.

Allegra takes care of more allergens than Claritin does, and is also non-drowsy.

Personally, I find that taking a Benedryl at bedtime and nothing during the day works well most of the time. Benedryl does make you drowsy, but it has been around for a long time and is non-habit forming. When my FIL was in the hospital they gave it to him instead of a sleeping pill.

use 1500 mg of Quercetin daily (it's a supplement). It really works well for me.

also, Chamomile is part of the ragweed family so I would be concerned about it contributing to worsening allergies.

Didn't know this! It was suggested on another website for allergy relief. I'll have to see if the pharmacy here carries Quercetin--they carry a lot of natural things. Is it safe for kids?

that I remembered that I shouldn't drink chamomile tea daily so I googled it before I posted.

From altmedicine.com:

"Chamomile is part of the Asteraceae plant family, which includes ragweed and chrysanthemum, so people with allergies may react when they use chamomile either internally or topically."

and from another site that I didn't not the name of!

"Ironically, chamomile has been found to induce allergies, as well as have an anti-allergenic effect. Both histamine release and inhibition of histamine discharge have been advanced as mechanisms for the potential antiallergenic action of the azulenes in chamomile oil. It has been theorized that since the azulenes themselves seem to prevent allergenic seizure, inhibition of histamine is probably involved in their true mechanism of action.7 Persons allergic to other members of the sunflower or aster family (Asteraceae or Compositae), are known to sometimes experience cross-reactivity to use of chamomile products. Those allergic to other aster family members, such as ragweed, should be aware of this potential side effect of using chamomile."

I don't know about the safety of quercetin in children. It helps control histamine levels and has replaced the daily anti-histamine for me.

Vitamin C is also a natural antihistamine - I pulled this off a website:

"One of several natural antihistamines is vitamin c. In addition to being a powerful anti-oxidant and immune booster, some studies have shown that high doses of vitamin c can help reduce sensitivity to allergens and reduce inflammation, mucus production, and wheezing. Researchers at Arizona State University indicated that taking 2000mg of vitamin c per day reduces histamine levels in the blood by up to 40%. In order to act as a natural antihistamine the dose is usually greater than 1000mg per day."