Menu

Teaching Textbooks 4,5,6

msjones

Is anyone willing to give me a quick 'review' of the TT 4,5,6 programs?

I have read some criticism that the program is "too easy." Was that your experience? Or was it just so effective that it seemed easy?

I did a search, but didn't find anything specifically related to the elementary years of TT. I'd appreciate links to any relevant threads.

Thank you!

My 5th grader just started TT, and is loving it. She took the test in Aug. and was shocked at how much math she'd forgotten over the summer. She tested into level 6. It seems like if you like the idea of what it has to offer, but you think it's going to be to easy you can just go up a level or two. The only down side so far was that I didn't realize it wouldn't work on a Mac. We had to buy a little laptop for the classroom, I think we'll need it for 2 more years with TT then eventually they have it available for Macs. We've tried MUS and Time 4 Learning for math, and they've been in Kumon classes for years. I'm terrible at math, so I really need a program where they don't need me so much. I'm not sure yet if it's a good program, I do know that my kids have slowly plugged away at math, have a solid grip on the math facts, and have a great attitude about math in general. For me that works, if TT keeps that general theme going I'll be happy. I think for now this is our best option. When she's old enough to consider Chalkdust Math I'll hopefully know which would work better.

TT is nice because you can do everything on the computer, and there's a hefty workbook you can use as well. Right after I ordered it I found some scathing reviews here, here is the link:http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17293&highlight=teaching+textbooks

In the end I'm pleased with our choice, it seems to cover a lot, the graphics are fun but not to distracting, we can easily see where she is struggling and it's easy to review/correct mistakes, and I hear her giggling sometimes while she's doing it (which is so much better than moaning and groaning). :)

There are tons of threads on TT if you go to advanced search.

B and T are currently using TT5 and 4. It wasn't my original plan for the year, but with the pregnancy and starting to incorporate lessons for D as well, I needed to find ways to cut down on my one-on-one time with the kidlets.

I do think that the boys probably "should" be using higher levels of TT, but they both need the review. Both boys did least well on math computation on the ITBS this year (always did fairly well before), so I thought I'd focus on really cementing what they should know rather than plugging ahead. B's "main" math program has been MUS, but he's been stuck on long division for months, and has now forgotten a lot of multiplication as well. TT is reinforcing this nicely. T really enjoys the "bonus round" feature of TT4, which is a math facts drill in game-show format (with a robot host) that becomes available every several lessons. I have each boy work for 30 minutes a day (4 days a week), and they're generally able to complete more than one lesson in that time frame. So hopefully we'll move each kid up a level sometime this year.

Other than that it seems to be working well so far (and they seem to be understanding the material), I can't say much. Maybe after next year's test scores, I'll have more to say on the subject. :)

It is a bit easy compared to other programs, but that is quite easily fixed by going up a level or two like the other poster said.

TT4 includes fact review through games. This is no longer included from 5 and up. I find that many concepts are too easy but then there are some that are too difficult for that grade level. It made it hard to place dd into. It's a balance of easy and challenging I guess...but it would also depend what program you are coming from. We're only doing it 1-2 times a week just b/c sometimes I need the break or just can't get to math that day! And dd loves computer programs and independent learning- so it is great for all that. I just take that lesson and add in hands-on learning and games through the week to complement it in addition to our regular math concept focus for the week.

DD gives it a rave review :D

My 4th grader is using 4 at 2 lessons a day and then will go into 5. She really likes it.

I don't know why it gets so much criticism. My kids have done great with it.

My 8th grader is now in Algebra 2. My 11 grader finished everything through Geometry last year. She also scored very well on the PSAT when it didn't count.

This was so helpful, everyone. I've been following this for my input. We have been looking at TT also and my dc took the placement tests last week. I've read some reviews on Homeschoolreviews.com and a few here. I received some great input from a few TT moms in my local hs groups last Friday also.

Thanks again! You were very helpful also.

No math program is going to be good for all students. I'd like to put in my two cents about fun & effective. We tried TT Algebra 1, and while it was fun, it was not effective, and it really was too easy for my dd (she said so and it lost its fun value.) My dd likes fun, but not things that are too easy. LoF Algebra is also fun, and is not too easy. However, there is no LoF for the grades you want yet, although there are the Fractions & Decimals books.

What I would recommend is that if you use TT, use something else in addition to it, even if TT is your main program. Of course, I think that that's always a good idea with any math program no matter how good it is. It is helpful to see it different ways and can prevent problems that happen for some students when they later have to switch or encounter math in other areas. While we've used SM along with MUS, you could use TT with MUS if your dc struggle in math, or TT along with CWP or SM or some other math program that people like. Or use TT and combine it with LoF Fractions and Decimals if fun is what really opens math up to your dc (although I have to confess I'm a big fan of those SM bar diagrams). I think students benefit from this. That said, for some children who hate math, it might be all you can do to get through one program.

Edited by Karin

We have been long time MUS users but switched from it to Math On the Level in the middle of last school year. Then over the summer I found out I was expecting, and then that it was twins......so I decided I needed something a bit more independent for my oldest - so he started Teaching Textbooks 5. He loves it and it seems to be working well for him. He just turned 9 and I would consider him as doing 4th grade work; we label him as a 3rd grader though.

I am probably going to move my 7yo into TT by the end of the year. I'm not sure about using the upper levels of it but I've got time before I have to worry about that.

We love TT and it has been a huge help for me since the kids can be more independent. Right now we are using TT5 and TT6...my son is about to go into TT7. They both love it and are eager to get their work done...not so before! The repetition seems to be helpful to them both and I love the fact that I can go look at their scores, see if they have been looking at the solutions to the problems they got wrong, and find what their problem areas are so we can follow up one-on-one.

It's worked for us so far...

My 4th grader started in TT5 last year. He loved it, but I was very skeptical of the program bc he was done so quickly and didn't seem very challenged. I compared the program to Saxon 6/5 and found TT really lacking in depth. I think TT does a good job presenting material, but the material they present just doesn't go deep enough. I looked ahead to the last test in TT5, and it had problems on it like 12 - x = 7. I might expect that type of problem at the end of a 1st grade math book but for 5th grade?! Granted, there were some harder problems on that last quiz, but not near what you would expect for a 5th grade text. Anyway, after Christmas last year I went back to Saxon, and I felt like I wasted 1/2 a year on math. Compared to being 1/2 way through TT5, I had to start him after lesson 20 something in Saxon 6/5.

We have used TT 5, and now my dd is using TT 7. She is doing great, making an A average. She loves it too, which is really saying a lot.

I love the lectures, and the fact that it can be 100% independent if you need it to be. If the student gets the wrong answer, they can choose to see the whole problem worked out the way it should be. And therefore actually learn from their mistakes. (I always made my dd do the problem over again anyway.)

Easy, easy, easy. It goes up to pre-calculus. Yay. I'm also going to brush up on my math skills through the lectures soon. (come on, some of us need that) ;)

You need to bump your child up a grade, other than that, it's great.

I should add that my dd is in fifth grade, using TT 7. Last year for fourth, she used TT 5. I add a supplemental program to reinforce the basics at her grade level. (Spectrum last year, yes SPECTRUM, LOL. It was fine. Mastering Essential Math Skills this year. LOVE it)

Edited by lovemykids
added last paragraph

The only down side so far was that I didn't realize it wouldn't work on a Mac.

It's available for the Mac now. I got an email from TT the other day letting users know that if they need MAC disks, they should send back all but the one they're using, and TT will replace them with a Mac set. Check out their website -- I haven't been there since the email, but they must have an announcement there.

I was using Singapore with Ds, but needed something more independent with him. TT6 has really helped a lot in that aspect. I do find that compared to Singapore, it is easy. I plan on supplementing with singapore word problems. The thing I do like about it - it is helping my son to work his math problems a little more carefully without getting upset at me. I'm not sure we'll keep with the program, but for the mom who really needs math to be more independent, it's a keeper.

BEth

I've been thinking about this. What it really boils down to, IMO, is this: Can your dc take what they've learned with their math program and use it

a. in the real world when things come up

b. on any standardized tests they may have to take (that's far, far down the priority ladder compared with the first) and

c. If they see word problems from another math curricula that are doing the same thing, can they solve them (this is a very high priority, IMO, since in real life, that's how math is.)

These are why I don't rely on one math program no matter how wonderful I think it is and no matter how many dc get high scores or not from it. There isn't a perfect one out there. If TT is what makes math live for your dc, I'd be sure to add something with different word problems, etc, as a supplement. Not everyone is going to learn math from the same program because learning styles and/or aptitudes in different subjects vary, and that's okay.