Menu

Some exciting news to share!

My oldest ds who graduated last May just got accepted to the Disney College Program and is moving to Orlando in February!

It is a paid internship, complete with housing on the Disney property, and he can earn college credit too. He has always wanted a career with Disney, and while there will get to take classes geared toward his particular field of interest. He can network and get advice in how to plot his education and work experience to get to the career of his dreams. If nothing else, he will get a first hand feel for the corporate culture and will know if it really is the place for him.

He has a particular position already, but still is auditioning next month to be a character performer. I keep joking that he is going to be the 1st "Well Trained Tigger" at Disney:D

Congrats!! My roomie in college did this and loved it, met her husband there! :) We also travelled down to see her often b/c she had free tickets for us! :) I think that's what ultimately started our Disney fanaticism! :)

Tell him to be warned that you will have roommates from all over and some are pretty wild...so be careful! :)

Tara

Congrats! I have a good friend whose daughter just started the program last month. She is enjoying it quite a bit.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that Disney is VERY strict about all their rules. VERY. This is probably a very good thing from the perspective of most moms; I know my friend feels very comfortable with the extra supervision and structure.

Just know that Disney can and does send kids home for any violation of their rules. Any. Real life example? Being at a party where drinking is served when the student is under 21. Even though the student himself was not drinking. Even though the student was just three days short of his 21st birthday. :(

Not trying to be a downer at all, just give a gentle reminder for your student to take every little rule very seriously. Congrats again! :)

It was great to see all the happy replies!

This is my theater geek, Disney freak ds who hopes to eventually be part of the creative production teams for the shows and parades in the Disney parks. He is happy to sing and dance for them in the meantime. :D His special interest and talent is lighting design, which you can't do on the college program, but he is hoping to network with everyone possible and start working behind the scenes before long.

Living in So. California, we know many current and past Disney "cast members", so he knows about what the company expects and what a party atmosphere there can be among the college program participants. We've heard it is more of a problem in Anaheim, especially since it is a much smaller program there. I know there are those kids in Orlando too, but the chances of finding like minded geeks is much higher there!

His education was always way outside of the box, and the fact that this program exists is such a blessing as it fits him to a "T". He isn't cut out for traditional college, but should know after this exactly what kind of higher education to he needs to do what he wants.

Thanks again, everyone! I'll still be in the homeschool trenches with y'all for a few more years!

:thumbup:

It was great to see all the happy replies!

This is my theater geek, Disney freak ds who hopes to eventually be part of the creative production teams for the shows and parades in the Disney parks. He is happy to sing and dance for them in the meantime. :D His special interest and talent is lighting design, which you can't do on the college program, but he is hoping to network with everyone possible and start working behind the scenes before long.

Living in So. California, we know many current and past Disney "cast members", so he knows about what the company expects and what a party atmosphere there can be among the college program participants. We've heard it is more of a problem in Anaheim, especially since it is a much smaller program there. I know there are those kids in Orlando too, but the chances of finding like minded geeks is much higher there!

His education was always way outside of the box, and the fact that this program exists is such a blessing as it fits him to a "T". He isn't cut out for traditional college, but should know after this exactly what kind of higher education to he needs to do what he wants.

Thanks again, everyone! I'll still be in the homeschool trenches with y'all for a few more years!