Menu

Gift ideas for beginning guitar player

an electronic tuner. i recommend the Korg CA 30 or the Sabine STX 1100 to my students. a metronome is another posibility. i have and recommend the Sabine Zipbeat and i like it because it's loud. there are other good metronomes out there that are also fine, just not loud enough to my need. if his lessons are in classical music, the teacher will most likely recommend a footstool.

Ok, well *I don't know much about guitars either, but my dsd has an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, and I just bought her an electric guitar and amp for her birthday. Hey, she's 15, what can I say. ;)

Anyway, in my decidedly limited experience, I'd perhaps suggest:

A guitar stap; do they use those for acoustics? I think so, right?

A nice set of strings; from what I understand, good strings make a better sound.

Picks. Dsd goes through lots of picks.

That's all I can think of. Maybe an instructional session from a music store owner/guitar teacher about how to take care of the guitar, change the strings, etc? But, I suppose if he's taking lessons, they'd probably cover all that. (Dsd is self taught, no lessons.)

1. an electronic tuner

2. a metronome (you can get combo tuners/metronomes....I have a Boss one...however the volume of the metronome can't be adjusted and I wish it were a bit louder)

3. a stool and footstool

4. a music stand

5. a capo...actually i'm not sure if they use a capo in classical guitar playing, but i don't know of other type of guitarist that doesn't own one......the neck on a classical guitar is wider, so there may be a special type of capo....dunno...

6. a strap.....again I'm not sure how a strap works with classical guitar since the guitar is held a certain way....i would get advice from the instructor on this.

Thanks for the ideas! I have some questions- (please remember I know nothing about guitars)

With an electronic tuner, should I get a clip on contact microphone? Will this make it easier to use?

Strings--he has nylon strings. Is it possible for a 9/10 yr old to learn how to replace strings? Is there a type or brand of string that is better?

Picks--He had a pick and he dropped it in the guitar. We got it out, and he dropped it in again, and now it's stuck. Is this just a beginner thing? He's been practicing w/o the pick and seems to prefer that now.

Off to google capo.....

I like to print off tabs from the internet, so how about a good quality notebook and sheet protectors? A grease pen is helpful too, to make notes that can be erased right on the sheet protectors.

I second the footstool and electronic tuner.

Has anyone mentioned a guitar stand? They are so pretty, and if it is safe to keep it on display, you should! It will also encourage play -- out of sight, out of mind, you know :)

footstool - but ask his teacher so you get the proper height or one that adjusts

electric tuner - great idea

metronome - another great idea

Classical guitarists do not use picks, nor do they have guitar straps because they are seated while playing - thus no need for a strap. Classical guitarists pick with their fingers. I would discourage TAB reading (although, that was how all lute music was written). It is preferable to read standard notation.

Some music flashcards might be nice - can include standard notation (he will only need treble clef), dynamics terminology, speed terminology (largo, lento, moderato, andante, etc.), musical direction (D.S. al fine, repeat signs, etc.)

One other thing to consider,depending on how expensive your guitar is and where you live, would be a guitar humidifier. It's kind of hard to explain, but it is benficial if you live in a place with low humidity or where you run a heating unit all winter long. It is balanced across the strings and fits into the hole. See, I told you it was hard to explain! Ask your teacher if he/she thinks it is necessary.

I do have a capo. Again, you might want to ask the teacher for a suggestion. He will likely not need it for his classical music, but it is nice to have. Some fingerstyle arrangements call for them. In particular, if he ever plays with a group it is useful to taking the guitar into a more guitar-friendly key.

How about some classical guitar cds for listening to for inspiration?

HTH.

If you have dc running and playing around the house, then perhaps you should consider a wall mounted guitar hanger rather than a floor guitar stand. We have all our instruments hanging up on the wall and it makes them rather like art!:) The down side is that the dust bunnies will tell on you if you are not playing regularly!

The face plate is about the size of a switch plate for an electric light switch. I like the hangers that have a loose keeper strap that you can put in place to keep the instrument from being accidentally dislodged and falling. Dh loves having his guitar hanging because it keeps it in his mind and he will pick it up and play if he has a few minutes of down time here and there. He says he practices lots more now. He was reluctant to get it out of the case before if he only had 5 or 10 minutes to play.

I wouldn't start him with a capo right away. It is important for him to learn to barre chords in order to develop the strength in his fingers and hands. I really don't like capos at all to tell you the truth, I think they hurt more than they help because it's easier to be lazy with a capo rather than develop yourself. With that said however, I do like them as a tool for experimenting and exploring sounds.

Changing strings on a classical guitar is not hard. The strings are all labeled and there are videos on youtube even that show exactly how to do it.

I have a Boss TU-12 tuner and it has a built in microphone for use with acoustics. I don't know what type of tuner you are gravitating towards, but you can see if it has a built in microphone as well. :)

In addition to the other suggestions, I would get him a chord dictionary and maybe some music to listen to to inspire him. Strunz and Farah, Andres Segovia, John Williams and Rodrigo y Gabriela are all classical players that come to my mind. You can find lots of their videos on Youtube as well to get a feel for their style.

This boy Sungha Jung, is a child prodigy who plays the classical guitar. You can see some of his videos here. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sungha+Jung&search_type=&aq=f It might be an inspiration for your ds too to see other kids like him playing guitar. :)

Does he have a case to keep the guitar in when it's not in use? It is good to have a safe place to store it for when it is not in use and also for transporting it safely to his lessons.

Oh I wish him well. I hope that he can get and stay inspired. Learning guitar is an undertaking for the long haul. I hope that he can stay inspired long enough to get past the beginning stages. I'm sure that if he can get passed the beginning then he will be hooked for life. :)

All the best to your ds. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Thanks for the ideas! I have some questions- (please remember I know nothing about guitars)

With an electronic tuner, should I get a clip on contact microphone? Will this make it easier to use?

Strings--he has nylon strings. Is it possible for a 9/10 yr old to learn how to replace strings? Is there a type or brand of string that is better?

Picks--He had a pick and he dropped it in the guitar. We got it out, and he dropped it in again, and now it's stuck. Is this just a beginner thing? He's been practicing w/o the pick and seems to prefer that now.

Off to google capo.....

the only contact tuner i have liked, and it's my preferred tuner these days, is the Intelli IMT500. for some reason, a lot of stores don't stock it and i direct people to amazon to buy it.

41Wi6WVQCzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

yes, a 10 year old should be able to change the strings with adult help at first. there are lots of YouTube vids on this.

and yes, no matter how long you've been playing, from time to time the flatpick will drop into the soundhole and you have to shake it out!

what style of music will he be learning? if classical then he doesn't need a strap, picks, or a capo. if basic folk/pop then a strap and a flatpick are quite helpful. (do NOT get a super stiff flat pick for a beginner! somewhere around .60mm - .73mm is much more useful.)

a capo will not be necessary for a while. i use a capo extensively when i play. it enables me to sing in the keys that suit my voice and still employ open strings. fingerpicked open strings resonate in a way that i prefer over barre chords.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I don't have a lot of time to talk to his instructor because the lessons are scheduled back-to-back.

Is it better to learn tab and standard notation together? Or tab and then standard? :confused: Wouldn't someone have an advantage as far as learning other instruments if they learned standard?

We do need to keep the guitar away from ds4. He has his own cheap guitar, but of course, he's very interested in his brother's instruments. I can just see him tuning it by himself.:ack2:

Thank you so much for all the advice. I don't have a lot of time to talk to his instructor because the lessons are scheduled back-to-back.

Is it better to learn tab and standard notation together? Or tab and then standard? :confused: Wouldn't someone have an advantage as far as learning other instruments if they learned standard?

We do need to keep the guitar away from ds4. He has his own cheap guitar, but of course, he's very interested in his brother's instruments. I can just see him tuning it by himself.:ack2:

I am having my students learn to read music first and only AFTER they have that mastered do I introduce them to tab. You'd be surprised how many guitarists can't read music because they use tab all the time. It's a shame because they just limit themselves IMHO. You are right, learning to read music for one instrument defintely helps you with other instruments because you already have a foundation to start on. :)

This boy Sungha Jung, is a child prodigy who plays the classical guitar. You can see some of his videos here. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sungha+Jung&search_type=&aq=f It might be an inspiration for your ds too to see other kids like him playing guitar. :)

Thanks so much for this link....Sungha is an incredibly gifted guitarist! I called my kids in to watch him play, as my ds takes guitar and my eldest takes bass and piano, and is teaching herself guitar--they were both amazed.

Thanks so much for this link....Sungha is an incredibly gifted guitarist! I called my kids in to watch him play, as my ds takes guitar and my eldest takes bass and piano, and is teaching herself guitar--they were both amazed.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. He really is an amazing young man. :) I can only imagine what he will be doing when he's 20, 30 and beyond.

In addition to the other suggestions, I would get him a chord dictionary and maybe some music to listen to to inspire him. Strunz and Farah, Andres Segovia, John Williams and Rodrigo y Gabriela are all classical players that come to my mind. You can find lots of their videos on Youtube as well to get a feel for their style.

Thanks for the suggestions for specific artists. I've been listening to some selections on i-tunes.

And wow, the kids really enjoyed Sungha Jung! We got sucked into his youtube videos.

Thanks for the suggestions for specific artists. I've been listening to some selections on i-tunes.

And wow, the kids really enjoyed Sungha Jung! We got sucked into his youtube videos.

Oh I'm so glad!! Thanks for letting me know. :) He is amazing isn't he?

I've been playing guitar for years and believe me there are days that I just want to throw it across the room and never pick it up again!! What keeps me going is the inspiration that I get from listening to my favorite guitarists. When I hear them I just am so in awe and inspired by what they do that it keeps me going through the difficult times. :) I hope your ds gets hooked. It really is a wonderful instrument. :)