Menu

Amended tech savvy poll: How tech savvy are we homeschooling moms and dads?

How tech savvy are you? Which items do YOU own and use?  

1. 1. How tech savvy are you? Which items do YOU own and use?

• Cell phone
    • iPod or mp3 player
    • SLR (single-lens reflex) camera
    • Laptop
    • GPS navigation system
    • HDTV
    • Wii, Xbox 360,Sony Playstation, Nintendo DSi, and/or Sony PSP
    • HD camcorder
    • All-in-One printer, copier and scanner machine
    • Kindle and/or DVR/TiVo

:blushing:

umm, still don't know what "single lens reflex" means...

I have a digital camera and a 35mm camera. I use them both. I finally learned how to do the video function on the digital camera.

I have a cell phone, just your basic pay as you go one.

I don't know if our TV is HD or not. We just got a satellite though, and I do like the DVR.

I am so not a techie person as you can tell.

I would love to have a digital SLR camera and an HD camcorder. We don't have a Kindle, DVR, or TiVo either, but I'm not pining for any of those toys.

I'd also love to have satellite radio, but I didn't know where to fit that into this poll. I also thought about adding a geocaching gps in the poll choices but didn't know if that was popular with this group or not. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but I know several people who enjoy that.

Darn it! I forgot webcams. I suppose they could be included in laptops.

I love seeing all the new toys that come out.

I think one of these would be so fun to have.

What can I say? I'm a nerd.

:blushing:

umm, still don't know what "single lens reflex" means...

:lol:

Wikipedia has a decent entry....

Here is my camera...which is pre-SLR:

http://www.leitzmuseum.org/CameraMakes/Leica/1938-II-D-1.html

His name is Snoopy, and my folks bought it new in Germany. They gave to me back in the 80's and I showed them some photos I took. My mother said "Snoopy can take color?" :lol:

I own an All-in-One because it came with my Mac. Don't use it much. Don't own anything else on the list. Probably never will.

Cell phone, ipod, camera, laptop... pretty standard things, I guess.

Some things we used to have (TiVO, all-in-one) and replaced them (antenna, laser). I don't "game" or get lost (geocaching would be fun, though), and I can't imagine reading an electronic facsimile of a book. (A BOOK! Heresy!:svengo:)

I can build you a pretty slick network and hack your database, though. :D

ETA: Satellite radio: LOVE it! Our regular stomping ground is DC-Dover, so we'd have to be changing the stations all the time. Nothing like getting all wrapped up in Talk of the Nation to have it go all fuzzy on you. Ugh!

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I love seeing all the new toys that come out.

I think one of these would be so fun to have.

What can I say? I'm a nerd.

I can build you a pretty slick network and hack your database, though. :D

Dear me, I didn't mean to imply that I'm an expert when I said I'm a nerd.

Perhaps I should've said I'm a wanna-be nerd. :w00t:

Cell phone, ipod, camera, laptop... pretty standard things, I guess.

See, I don't think these are standard things though. Definitely not an SLR camera. A digital camera, maybe, but not an SLR or dSLR camera.

I also don't know that a laptop is that standard. I know many people that don't have one.

I'd say most people have a cellphone and a high percentage have an iPod or mp3 player. And most people have a printer of some sort, but I don't know that many have an all-in-one.

Anyway, it's been fun seeing how techy we are. Thanks, all, for participating.

Edited by Apiphobic
simply HAD to clarify my current nerd-status

Most of the things on the list are here in the house, but not used by me.

The boys have their game systems (XBox and Nintendo DS) and my husband has six or seven dSLRs.

I know someone has an all-in-one printer on his desk, but I don't know who, and I'm not sure who uses it.

I 'own' a Zune, but Hunter listens to it far more often than I do.

I personally use a cell phone, a couple of different laptops, and several different printers (Kodak 6800, ML 500, Epson 10000, Epson R2400, and the Canon iPF8100-my favorite)

Everything but the digital SLR camera (I'd love one though) and GPS system. Our town's too small to need one of those. :glare:

I know it sounds kinda weird, but as much as DH and I are into simple living, we do love techie gadgets :blushing:... it's the sci-fi geek in us I suppose. I mean, I really wanted a flip Motorola cell phone simply because it reminds me of the communicators from Original Trek. :D

I could do without most of the gadgets if I needed to, but they are fun while we have them!

<snip> ... and my husband has six or seven dSLRs.

<snip> I personally use a cell phone, a couple of different laptops, and several different printers (Kodak 6800, ML 500, Epson 10000, Epson R2400, and the Canon iPF8100-my favorite)

Crissy, don't you and dh have some sort of photography business?

Or does he have a photography business and you have some sort of art business?

I still don't see too many people that have an SLR or dSLR camera.

Part of my curiosity is from me wondering if I should just stick with a regular digital camera with some extra features or if I should delve into the world of serious photography with a dSLR.

<snip> I mean, I really wanted a flip Motorola cell phone simply because it reminds me of the communicators from Original Trek. :D

lol

Crissy, don't you and dh have some sort of photography business?

Or does he have a photography business and you have some sort of art business?

I still don't see too many people that have an SLR or dSLR camera.

Part of my curiosity is from me wondering if I should just stick with a regular digital camera with some extra features or if I should delve into the world of serious photography with a dSLR.

A little of both, actually. He does all of the photography and I do the digital editing/manipulation and the printing. I also do some artwork on the side.

I can't help with the point-and-shoot vs the dSLR question. I'm still using the former.