Menu

Humming related to Aspergers?

one makes explosion sounds as he paces back and forth, and the other makes those sounds like boys make with toy cars even if he's just drawing pictures. I assumed its a form of self stimulation.

I tend to wiggle my foot and I chewed on pen caps when I was younger. It's a sensory thing. I couldn't pay attention unless I was doing something.

Thanks all. I have a feeling that it is a sensory issue. He is only 7 but the humming is causing a distraction in the classroom and he requires a lot of personal, look him in the face instruction which is wearing the teacher out. However, he appears to be very academically bright. Just curious about it all. Interesting stuff. I think they are going to have him tested.

I would guess it's a sensory thing too. Over the years my Aspie has displayed a lot of annoying, but generally subconscious vocalizations including, but not necessarily limited to, humming, singing, random sound effects, a running monologue describing what he, or someone else is doing, or repeated exclamations of favorite words that are just fun to say (ex. pistachio, pronounced "pi-STASSSH-ee-OH!" with much gusto and rising in pitch on the last syllable, or his current favorite, chinchilla like this: "cheen-CHEE-LAH!"). Mostly I don't worry about it unless it's bothering someone else. In that case I encourage him to listen to music on his headphones instead, or I just turn the tv, radio, or music on softly for quiet background noise and he usually just stops without me saying anything. This is one of the reasons I think it's sensory; it's as if his nervous system is craving more auditory input than it is recieving and he absentmindedly provides it himself. It's sort of like absentmindedly rubbing your face when it's been novacained by the dentist. It feels funny not to feel the "normal" amount of sensation in that area. And for ds, it sometimes feels funny (I hypothesize) not to hear enough sound input on his hearing nerves. Substituting something I'd rather listen to, or giving him headphones for private sensory input seems to be a good solution at our house.

Can one of you ladies send me a link to more info on Aspergers?

My son(14) paces all the time, talks to himself, repeats things from games or movies and many other little quirks.

I have not taken him to the doctor for any of this because I have no idea what to say or do.

I would guess it's a sensory thing too. Over the years my Aspie has displayed a lot of annoying, but generally subconscious vocalizations including, but not necessarily limited to, humming, singing, random sound effects, a running monologue describing what he, or someone else is doing, or repeated exclamations of favorite words that are just fun to say (ex. pistachio, pronounced "pi-STASSSH-ee-OH!" with much gusto and rising in pitch on the last syllable, or his current favorite, chinchilla like this: "cheen-CHEE-LAH!"). Mostly I don't worry about it unless it's bothering someone else. In that case I encourage him to listen to music on his headphones instead, or I just turn the tv, radio, or music on softly for quiet background noise and he usually just stops without me saying anything. This is one of the reasons I think it's sensory; it's as if his nervous system is craving more auditory input than it is recieving and he absentmindedly provides it himself. It's sort of like absentmindedly rubbing your face when it's been novacained by the dentist. It feels funny not to feel the "normal" amount of sensation in that area. And for ds, it sometimes feels funny (I hypothesize) not to hear enough sound input on his hearing nerves. Substituting something I'd rather listen to, or giving him headphones for private sensory input seems to be a good solution at our house.

This is an excellent explanation...thank you. I don't think I said at the beginning, but this is not my son. A friend's. My son is a repeater though and I wonder if that is sensory related too.

Ds still hums at 12. Sometimes I don't notice it and other times it's annoying. I've told him it's distracting to his sister when she's trying to do schoolwork. It's gotten better but still there.

I just sold most of books about Asperger's. There are many that you can request from the library. Tony Atwood is one author that I can think of to request from the library. There are tons of resources now. The special needs board is a great resources as well. Good luck

Ds still hums at 12. Sometimes I don't notice it and other times it's annoying. I've told him it's distracting to his sister when she's trying to do schoolwork. It's gotten better but still there.

My dd11 gets distracted as her brother has his tics. We make accommodations for him because tics are by nature uncontrollable. I have had some luck changing some of the more harmful ones, like when he was pulling on his hair so much that he had a huge bald spot. But that tic was simply changed into another one. He's never been without a tic. I assume he'll always have tics even as an adult. I point them out sometimes and he's always surprised because he truly doesn't realize he's doing them.

My dd has been humming since 9 months old and she is almost 7. She has sensory issues. Her humming is more intense when she is doing fine motor skills. She even does it in her sleep at times. We are use to it at home and can block it out but when we are around other kiddos it drives them a little crazy. They are starting to get us to it now.

Interesting thread. My ds(4) hums a lot - especially when drawing or eating (which we are trying to discourage). I've wondered about sensory issues and/or ADHD, as well as Aspergers (although from my reading I don't think he has enough symptoms to make a diagnosis of that). I do find turning on some other music, like in the car or at lunch seems to help. Sometimes he just seems to zone out, and you really have to get "in his face" before he'll listen and stop humming - but then he'll start up again shortly and you have to remind him again...:001_huh:

I have heard that autism spectrum kids do things like this.

My ds whistled and tapped. Both drove us batty. He eventually grew out of it though he still likes to make noise.

This is where I wonder how much is just a kid being a kid and how much makes it a real issue. My ds9 makes noise all the time....all sorts of sound effects for whatever imaginary game he is involved in. Sometimes I have to say, 'Ds!' Then when he looks at me I will say, 'You must stop making noise. You are driving me batty.' He will stop, but often starts up again with in minutes and it is clear he doesn't even realize he has started again.