Menu

Need insight from dentists or hygienists!

We moved to Germany in the spring adn we just had our first dental appt with a German dentist. he used a very weird method of cleaning our teeth--he sort of used a water pistol-like thing with either lemon water or salt water. It got rid of plaque without all the scraping we used to get in the US and for cleaning, I felt like I was in a car wash with water going everywhere! So, is this old technology, new technology or just weird? Thanks.

jeri

Hmmm... I'm wondering now if what my dentist does is actually quite different. I don't remember anything gritty in my mouth but it was not so gentle. It felt abrasive, but left nothing gritty behind.

It also has a high pitched whine to it. I think it's ultrasonic.

Jeri,

From your description it sounds like an ultrasonic scaler. Cavitron and other ultrasonic scalers have been around quite awhile, but they are not routinely used in some dental offices. I'll use a Cavitron perhaps once every two weeks on a patient with heavy plaque/calculus/stain. I prefer hand scaling with most of my patients. I do know of some dental offices that use ultrasonic scalers exclusively. They do an excellent job, but the water spray bothers some patients.

I'm a dental hygienist. There are a couple of aspects to a dental cleaning. One is removing the hardened plaque (calculus, tartar). The other is removing the soft, sticky layer of plaque and stain. A cavitron uses water and ultrasonic vibration to break off pieces of calculus. A prophy jet uses baking soda and water in a strong spray to remove soft plaque.

So, if it was a cavitron, some fine hand scaling would still need to be done, along with the polishing. If it was a prophy jet, scaling would need to be done first.

Krista

I have no idea about this but I wanted to throw out that I brush my teeth with an electric toothbrush and baking soda and my dentist says I have no plaque or tartar build up. It makes cleanings a breeze. A note of caution though, don't use baking soda if you have sensitive teeth or high blood sodium levels.

I've been using a Sonicare for about 10 years -- my Dad used to be in R&D at the company that invented it before it was bought out by Phillips, so we always had plenty of replacement heads :)

I sit in the chair about 10 minutes...no tartar, no gingivitis, no bleeding gums. It's worth it to get one; you don't even need the fanciest, newest model. The cheapest model (which is even available at some grocery stores!) will work wonders for your mouth.