Menu

K-12 is it Christian or Secular & WA State

Homeschooling6

I'm trying to help a friend and am wondering if K-12 is Christian or secular. From the site it looks to be a secular curriculum. Is this correct?

She lives in Washington. From what I understand Kindergarten in not legally required in any state is that correct? It's more of an option?

I did check with HSLDA and it said, 180 days grades 1-12. Attendance; 8 years of age and under 18. Just checking to make sure.

Thanks for any information.

I'm trying to help a friend and am wondering if K-12 is Christian or secular. From the site it looks to be a secular curriculum. Is this correct?

It is secular.

She lives in Washington. From what I understand Kindergarten in not legally required in any state is that correct? It's more of an option?

There are a couple of states in which the compulsory school age is 5 years old. In WA, however, it is 8yo. She may teach her dc kindergarten-level things, if she'd like, but she isn't required to comply with WA law until her dc is 8.

I am using K12 for the first time this year with my 3rd grader. K12 is a secular curriculum but it is supposed to be based on character/virtues. This curriculum is mostly online but it does come with accompanying books and manipulatives. You can buy it individually to be used in a homeschool but it is quite pricey.

Many charter schools (nonprofit organizations receiving public funding to start a school) have chosen to use K12 as their curriculum. Just as parents do not pay for their child's books in a public school, the same is true of charter schools since they are publicly funded. These charter school are "virtual academies" so students are homeschoolers although technically they are public school students as well. As a result you still must abide by the public school laws such as attendance (which is logging in so many hours a week), sending in samples/assessments, and taking the state exam each year if it is required.

Many people like to use homeschool programs that provide a similar service of planning curriculum, grading, transcripts. These virtual academies using K12 provide this service, however the family must remember that they are still in the public school system and therefore must abide by all the rules. They provide monthly field trips and other activities.

This is only my first year so I do not have real experience yet as we are only in our first week. I will say that Texas Virtual Academy did send us a computer and printer in addition to 2 boxes of books and manipulatives all for the price of ZERO dollars !! Of course I have to return the computer etc. if we leave the program. However I am very pleased so far. I have invested exactly nothing monetarily this year and it has allowed me to spend more on my other children's homeschooling items that are not using K12.

These programs fill up fast. My daughter did not get into the 8th grade program unfortunately because it was packed.

We used TXVA from Oct '07 through Dec 08. It was a very good situation for us at the time. We homeschooled traditionally before that and since. We're "veteran" homeschoolers (one kiddo graduated, the other a 9th grader).

Obviously using a virtual academy does require SOME hoop jumping, but it is a MYTH that there is a lack of flexibility with a virtual academy. In fact, at least in Texas and many other states represented on the k12 yahoo group, there is much more flexibility than with most correspondence schools.

Of course, homeschooling without oversight does allow more flexibility. For example, if you're studying X but decide to change to Y, you can without any issue if you're homeschooling traditionally. Teach whatever you want. No biggie. And then there isn't an issue with testing for most years (or any years in some states) if you homeschool traditionally. And I hated turning in work samples with TXVA but of course, some states require portfolios and such, so....

But my son did only the parts of lessons that he needed to learn an assignment. He could skip assignments or do alternative ones for things that bothered our conscience. If he wanted to go on a rabbit trail, it counted in his school hours as did lots of other activities he did. We could take off what days we wanted/needed. We could school at 5am or 10pm (never did the latter but...). If another curriculum fit our needs better, we could supplement easily.

There are boundaries and hoops to jump through but a LOT of flexibility. IME, there was a lot more flexibility than many more conscientious homeschool parents exercise within their pick-n-choose curriculum.

Anyway, it's officially not homeschooling, but it can be a good situation. It filled a need when we did it and has made our homeschooling since even better.

JME,

I have considered using K12 myself. A friend in CA uses it and gets everything for 'free' also.

I would miss my freedom of picking and choosing but every-so-often it does sound great.

I live in Texas does that mean we will have to take the TAKS (I think that's what it's called) if we use K12. Test scare me:scared:

Because it is under the government are you still allowed during school hours to teach Bible? I heard somewhere that you are not allowed.

Edited by Homeschooling6

A heads-up -- in Arizona, K-12 is managed by the school district. It is not considered homeschooling. It requires in-home visits, etc. FWIW.

To clarify: It isn't that K12 is managed by the school district. It is that the school district has a charter school in which students enroll. They are public school students whose campuses happen to be in their own homes. The school district provides K12 to its students, who must comply with public school laws as far as logging hours, testing and whatnot.

Linda,

Well, you choose your own school hours so even if you couldn't "teach Bible," it's not that there are certain hours you can't do it. You just may or may not be able to count it as school time.

However, we were able to count our study materials because of how they are set up. Depending, reading comprehension and/or history could be an appropriate place to count the time. Also, the Bible counts as it's literature so if you do Bible reading, that counts the same as reading any book would.

I saw mentioned on another thread that religion was specifically excluded as a subject due to separation of church and state. That sort of makes sense to me. BUT, there are a few ways students get around that in public school (school projects around faith, reading scriptures after coursework is done, debate topics, etc). So it is reasonable to me that a student could do similarly with a virtual academy.

So it was allowed officially here AND I can see how it could be permissible. However, I understand the controversy and believe it's a conscience issue unless one is specifically told NOT to count that time. Most of the extra time we recorded, our teacher only knew from more casual conversation. She asked me to make a list to share with her students' families.

BTW: You are right about the TAKS test. The students take benchmark tests (first year was at a location, last year it was from home). They also have a program to play games on 15-20 minutes per day for TAKS practice. And of course they have to GO take the test in the spring. In 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades (I think), students must pass the test in one of three (I think it is) tries in order to pass to the next grade level. They did have, the first year (not sure about last year), tutoring available for students who needed it. Some people find this a lot of test concern. I found it mild background noise that rarely really had anything to do with our day to day schooling.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Free is always nice! BUT, the lack of freedom to do what I want to do for/with my kids causes me to bow out of those programs!

:iagree:

Have your friend google "Exposing a Trojan Horse"... I think she should be able to view this video online for FREE.

It's an eye-opener as to what this K12 program REALLY is...

K12 was originally founded by William Bennett...then there was some sort of a "takeover" and he was "booted to the curb".

K12 is now being marketed through public school districts to homeschoolers...they entice you with FREE equipment and curriculum.

What they don't tell you about is all the "red tape" that goes along with it!!:glare:

K12 was originally founded by William Bennett...then there was some sort of a "takeover" and he was "booted to the curb".

K12 is now being marketed through public school districts to homeschoolers...they entice you with FREE equipment and curriculum.

What they don't tell you about is all the "red tape" that goes along with it!!:glare:

There's always the independent option, though. We used it and dropped it about 6 months later. No red tape. No one cared. No big deal. ;)

in MOST states, the K12 program comes with "baggage"...like weekly in-home visits by a "trained professional"...

There are also a lot of restrictions on what you can/cannot teach your own child.

I'm not going to be told what I can/cannot do with MY child...

That's not something I take lightly or something that I consider "no big deal"...

What they don't tell you about is all the "red tape" that goes along with it!!

As if homeschooling parents are that stupid? Do you really think that people are being enticed with free stuff, unaware that public school ALWAYS has hoops to jump through that homeschooling doesn't have? I guess I just knew going in that was the case and I figure none of the other parents who have tried or used it aren't stupid either.

As for us? We had already bought all our curriculum and had been "in school" for many weeks before my son started. TXVA opened up here in OCTOBER so we had already paid for curriculum. Also, TXVA was very concerned that I was a veteran homeschooler because they wanted it CLEAR that THEY (and hence we) had to follow the state rules, that I *was* giving up SOME freedom of homeschooling. I personally think they actually OVERSTATED their case trying to dissuade me if I were just in it for the curriculum, computer, etc. Using TXVA was not NEARLY as problematic as they or any "I would never use them" homeschoolers make it out to be.

I REALLY don't get the hoopla around this. If someone comes on here wanting or needing to use ANY full curriculum, no one says boo about it. But someone uses k12 through the state and it's necessary to point out that officially they aren't homeschoolers, to tell them that they are so bullied by the state (ha!), etc. K12 through the state is much less problematic than any of the posts about it suggest and those who have opinions about it suggest. Even those who feel the need to put their kids into public school itself don't get nearly as much flack about it!

AND if you don't like it, don't use it...and if you try it and it's not for you, move on. Why is that so hard?

I didn't get it 2 years ago and I don't get it after using it for 15 months (minus the summer, of course). I would expect that I would "get" why so many are so freaky about it, but I just don't.

You don't HAVE to use K12 through the state. You can go the independent route no matter where you live. If you do, you pay for what you buy, and you have all the freedom any other HSer in your state has. Or if your state provides k12 free, then you can choose that option and abide by the restrictions that come with that. It's a choice.

I'm using K12 for 3 subjects this year, and used it for 1 last year. I use it independently and have not had any problems in terms of anyone interfering in my HSing.

:confused::confused:

As if homeschooling parents are that stupid? Do you really think that people are being enticed with free stuff, unaware that public school ALWAYS has hoops to jump through that homeschooling doesn't have? I guess I just knew going in that was the case and I figure none of the other parents who have tried or used it aren't stupid either.

Well, fact is is that K12 is being "pushed" on NEW homeschooling families -- families whose children have been in the PS and they are now removing them to home educate. Families that maybe haven't done their research and ARE enticed by the word FREE... This *is* happening -- you just aren't aware of it.

As for us? We had already bought all our curriculum and had been "in school" for many weeks before my son started. TXVA opened up here in OCTOBER so we had already paid for curriculum. Also, TXVA was very concerned that I was a veteran homeschooler because they wanted it CLEAR that THEY (and hence we) had to follow the state rules, that I *was* giving up SOME freedom of homeschooling. I personally think they actually OVERSTATED their case trying to dissuade me if I were just in it for the curriculum, computer, etc. Using TXVA was not NEARLY as problematic as they or any "I would never use them" homeschoolers make it out to be.

I REALLY don't get the hoopla around this. If someone comes on here wanting or needing to use ANY full curriculum, no one says boo about it. But someone uses k12 through the state and it's necessary to point out that officially they aren't homeschoolers, to tell them that they are so bullied by the state (ha!), etc. K12 through the state is much less problematic than any of the posts about it suggest and those who have opinions about it suggest. Even those who feel the need to put their kids into public school itself don't get nearly as much flack about it!

AND if you don't like it, don't use it...and if you try it and it's not for you, move on. Why is that so hard?

I didn't get it 2 years ago and I don't get it after using it for 15 months (minus the summer, of course). I would expect that I would "get" why so many are so freaky about it, but I just don't.

Great -- I'm glad you like it. I'm glad it works for YOU...

I just didn't want to see an unsuspecting person get "sucked in" to this program...

I won't say another word...

A heads-up -- in Arizona, K-12 is managed by the school district. It is not considered homeschooling. It requires in-home visits, etc. FWIW.

That is only if she opts to go through it as a virtual charter school for free. You can always pay to be independent users, regardless of what state you are in.

in MOST states, the K12 program comes with "baggage"...like weekly in-home visits by a "trained professional"...

No, the K12 program is only one tool used by state charter or virtual schools. K12 itself isn't a public school funded operation. Here in Georgia, we have a virtual charter that uses K12. It's too inflexible for me and I prefer to be a homeschooler, while our state charter states very clearly on their website that their students are not homeschoolers.

I pay out of pocket for K12. It is the Consumer Direct program. I can do what I want with the materials. K12 actually has no one to help with curriculum issues. I'm totally on my own. And that's fine with me.

The same can be said about Calvert School. That is another secular homeschool program provider. Some states have used Calvert School in their charter program, just like some states use K12. Neither Calvert School nor K12 dictate how the state uses their materials. Many homeschoolers purchase the materials independently.

Just sharing a distinction some of us feel is extremely important. This is how rumors get started, by advertising false information. I would hate to see someone pass up K12 or Calvert School because they were given the wrong information.

If you do not want state involvement, do not sign up for a charter or virtual school. Using K12 or Calvert School does not automatically make you a public school student.

:confused::confused:

Well, fact is is that K12 is being "pushed" on NEW homeschooling families -- families whose children have been in the PS and they are now removing them to home educate. Families that maybe haven't done their research and ARE enticed by the word FREE... This *is* happening -- you just aren't aware of it.

This isn't new. Homeschoolers have been intimidated by school systems since even before homeschooling was legal in all the states. New homeschoolers come out of the public school system indoctrinated to believe the school system knows best. Just look at some of the posts on this board by new homeschoolers. One woman posted recently that she didn't think she should have her children outside during school hours for fear of a social worker or police making a visit.

No, you haven't hit a nerve. Like I said in a previous post, it's really not fair to present false information. If anything, present all the facts and let the parent make their own informed decision. I've been homeschooling for 8 years and I am not dumb for using K12. It's as much a tool as any other educational material. It does not come with strings. Period.

Yes, I do. Really.

There are also a lot of restrictions on what you can/cannot teach your own child.

I'm not going to be told what I can/cannot do with MY child...

That's not something I take lightly or something that I consider "no big deal"...

I do not see public cyber charter schools as a threat or a trojan horse. My ds uses one and I knew full well that it is a public school at home and not homeschooling. I know that in PA we have many homeschoolers and many cyber schoolers. I do not see the laws supporting homeschoolers being taken away.Of course, it is prudent to be vigilant and let our represntatives know that we support homeschooling and cyber schooling IMO. I actually feel in PA that the schools and teachers would love to see public cyber schools gone much more so than homeschooling . I feel that public cyber school option is in much more jeopardy so to speak.

I also have attended info sessions and researched the 11 cyber schools in PA and none of them misled me into thinking that it was homeschooling.

As far as weekly visits, there are no such visits in PA.

I also find that there is quite a bit of flexibility with the cyber school option so far IMO. It is not for everyone but I am grateful that it is an option since it increases school choice. I am also an open to homeschooling and I am grateful that it is an option as well. Right now though, I enjoy the curriculum and like that my son has a school he can identify with:) I also like that I can say that your teacher assigned this work when necessary;).

Edited by priscilla
spelling

Do you know this to be a fact or are you just assuming that it requires in home visits? If in home visits are required by the state of Arizona, then this is highly unsual and would be completely state specific to Arizona and not at all common to K12 as a whole. In general the virtual academies are just that.."virtual". I would be shocked to find out in home visits are required.

Is Arizona an unfriendly homeschooling state? I did some googling and found that Arizona Virtual Academy does not allow homeschoolers to enroll. They first must enroll in a public school, and then the virtual school. If this is true, I am sad to hear this. Most certainly this is about Arizona and not about K12 or virtual academies in general.