Menu

Dd (swimmer) is so COMPLETELY IRRITATED by current clothing styles....

Where can I buy her clothes that actually fit? She is 14 yrs. old, with a very powerful build. NONE of the current styles fit her. The other day, while trying on a shirt at JCPenney, she actually ripped a sleeve with her bicep!

Everything is tight and low-cut.

She has worn some things from Eddie Bauer in the past, but now feels that those styles look "too old" (as in something that I would wear), and I agree.

Any suggestions? She just wants to look good in clothes that fit.

TIA, Jackie

My DD doesn't have muscles, but she has broad shoulders and it doesn't make it any easier. I tell her it's a curse from my side of the family.

I'm thankful right now that we don't have to go shopping, because when we were looking for a white shirt a few weeks ago, not much was acceptable (to my OR her). Hopefully you get some places to check out, because i'll have to check them out.

Oh and i'm personally not going to wear the low and tight stuff either, it wouldn't be pretty at my current weight! LOL!!

Have your tried Land's End? I tend to find them roomy and some of the girls' things look sweet.

Laura

I haven't looked at Land's End for a while. I used to buy tons of stuff from them when the kids were little. I like their quality, but I remember their stuff being kind of.... I don't know...... plain.

The problem, too, is that she is a misses size 10, so the cute girls' styles don't fit anymore. She is at that difficult age where she is built like a woman, but still feels like (and wants to be) a little girl...:001_unsure:

Ahhh the teenage years......

Thanks for the suggestion.:001_smile:

we do really well with hanna andersson 150's and 160s.... and don't put them in the dryer.

maybe its time for a sewing course? that has been our other solution.

good luck!

ann

skill-wise, but not time-wise. We might need to make it a priority and schedule it.

This morning dd came home from her 6am weight-training workout, and all I could think of was how much bigger those arms and shoulders are going to get! :001_huh:

Thanks, Jackie

I don't usually watch this show, but What Not to Wear had an olympic swimmer on the show that had the same problem your daughter is facing. Their solution was to have her buy larger shirts that fit her arms and tailor them down for her tiny waist. For pants they did the same thing. Skirts would be the easiest by far because if it is a flowy skirt, a bigger waist wouldn't be a big deal.

Hope you find your solution!

Michelle

My kids are built in a similar fashion. Sleeveless or cap sleeve dresses (or dress/shirts) with turtleneck or long sleeved t's and leggings/tights are good for colder months. Skirt and shirt/sweater/cardigan/vest combos are as well. My kids are still young enough for Hanna Andersson... I'm not sure how we're going to manage when they're not.

How is their quality?

I wouldn't put them in the category with Land's End but I think they're a step above Target, which to me is a step up from Walmart. I have several items from Old Navy that I've had and worn for years. I've actually had items I purchased from major dept stores fall apart before my Old Navy items.

Old Navy is owned by the Gap and imo Gap probably has the higher quality. But it's reflected in the pricing as well.

I wouldn't put them in the category with Land's End but I think they're a step above Target, which to me is a step up from Walmart. I have several items from Old Navy that I've had and worn for years. I've actually had items I purchased from major dept stores fall apart before my Old Navy items.

Old Navy is owned by the Gap and imo Gap probably has the higher quality. But it's reflected in the pricing as well.

Sounds like fair to good quality that is affordable. Thanks!

I have nothing helpful to add, just sympathy. I have a swimmer (with the shoulders) and a gymnast (arms and thighs) and feel your pain.

Terri

My dd was a GYMNAST for years before she took up swimming 18 months ago! So she has the shoulders AND the thighs. :rolleyes: Sometimes she comes out of the dressing room and says "My THIGHS are holding these pants up! Don't they make anything for people with a WAIST?" .....sigh

I wish, for her sake, that being athletic and powerful was "in vogue".

Thanks for your empathy.

jackie

I don't usually watch this show, but What Not to Wear had an olympic swimmer on the show that had the same problem your daughter is facing. Their solution was to have her buy larger shirts that fit her arms and tailor them down for her tiny waist. For pants they did the same thing. Skirts would be the easiest by far because if it is a flowy skirt, a bigger waist wouldn't be a big deal.

Hope you find your solution!

Michelle

And the altering would take a fraction of the time that sewing the entire garment would take. Thanks!

Jackie

My oldest has a large upper body. She is well endowed, has big shoulders (thanks to swimming) and large biceps. We have been able to get some tops at Old Navy, JC Pennies, and Kohls. At both Pennies and Kohls we shop the misses department. ANA (at Pennies) is nice. They're more trendy, but adult sizes.

We buy things with stretch, things not tight in the arms, she wears layers (to deal with the low cut), we avoid buttons down tops, and spend lots of time searching for a decent top. It is hard.

We watch What Not to Wear, and they have had some good advice. We know that if and when she needs to wear a button down shirt (for a job, etc...) we will have to tailor it with some darts. You have to buy larger and take it in.

It's hard, but you do become a decerning shopper. I always just bought what I thought looked nice, without really thinking about it. She has to think, search and try on a lot of clothes to find something she likes.

My dd was a GYMNAST for years before she took up swimming 18 months ago! So she has the shoulders AND the thighs. :rolleyes:

Omigosh! But I'll bet she has beautiful muscles! This weekend, while trying to figure out how in the world I can get my girls everywhere they need to be, I tried to convince my 9 yo swimmer that muscles are overrated and that she would be happier sitting in front of the TV in the afternoons. I didn't get very far which, of course, actually makes me happy.

Terri

Omigosh! But I'll bet she has beautiful muscles! This weekend, while trying to figure out how in the world I can get my girls everywhere they need to be, I tried to convince my 9 yo swimmer that muscles are overrated and that she would be happier sitting in front of the TV in the afternoons. I didn't get very far which, of course, actually makes me happy.

Terri

:lol::lol:

Sounds like one for the "things I never thought I'd be saying to my dd" list!

You might try REI--they have lots of simple skirts and tops. I have girls with HUGE shoulders, from their dad plus sports, and they've found stuff there. I also make a simple skirt, with a 4.5 inch yoke, sewn to an almost-circle skirt, in knit from Joann's Fabrics. We call them "boater chick" skirts. The girls can pull off shorts underneath them and stay decent. There aren't many girl kayakers, so they are usually in a group of guys. These allow them to stay covered while changing from boating gear. They look like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/786517 only without the fold-over top. Columbia and North Face make shirts for girls with shoulders. Sierra Trading Post has some.

Dd has a skirt something like this, that she loves. It looks simple enough to whip out very quickly.

We were just in REI the other day.... Dd was in "pants and shirt mode" that day, so we didn't even look at skirts.... darn it. But dd found the tops too clingy, and too plain.... sigh.....

Thanks for your help. I would really like that pattern number for the skirt that you make.

Thanks, Jackie

Hi there,

I really don't have any advice for you, but I recently caught a "What Not To Wear" episode with an aspiring Olympic swimmer by the name of Tara Kirk. She had the same problems that your daughter has and they gave her some great advice that might help you. I don't know if you can find some episodes on line or anything, but I want to say it originally aired last summer some time.